Hi everybody, this is my first post.
Bought a 67 elky this year, realizing afterwards its has been extended between the door and rear wheel. I heard the following story from previous owner: he was told by a former GM employee that the body was modified by a GM facility or a GM special supplier (after leaving the original manufacturing plant) and intended to be a hearse (not a flower car but kind of open top but with a canopy) and could only be sold to offshore funeral houses and only about a 1000 were made. Part of the story is the same guy found one in Panama and another somewhere else and rebuilt one out of them, cause it was a very rare item.
(Original sierra fawn paint kind of make sense)
Modifications are as follows:
frame: square shaped beams at the wheels and triangular perimetral beams (added with same profile right under seat) between wheels
floor: cab floor, crossmember between perimetral beams, smuggler box (which I never knew it exists) and cuted after smugglers box (box now cover by steel bed floor, I added wood inserts for the bed fllor), rest of structure moved backwards
sides: appear to be added right before wheel covers (kind of lateral boxes with steel covers now fiber covered?)
driveshaft: added at front (about 1 feet with same smaller round section, another feet of original smaller section and then bigger round section to dif)
Take a look at pictures in
http://elcaminocentral.com/gallery-album_album05-page5.html
(the yellow one)