Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#41326 10/04/06 05:59 PM
Garbo Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hello...my 1965 283 two barrel won't idle! If I step on the gas, it runs and sounds smooth at higher RPMs, but letting off the gas, it will drop RPMs until it dies. I tried adjusting the idle speed on the linkage, but that didn't seem to be it. There are two carb adjusting screws on the front of the carb...I thought one might be an idle adjustment screw (gas-air ratio), but not sure which. Any help is always appreciated.
Best wishes,
Chuck

garbo
Wilwood Engineering1955-1957

Willwood Engineering

Wilwood Engineering designs and manufactures high-performance disc brake systems.
Wilwood Engineering, Inc. - 4700 Calle Bolero - Camarillo, CA 93012 - (805) 388-1188

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
did this condition arise suddenly or over a period of time? both screws are mixture screws. should be a spring around each one.

Chevrolet

Valve In Head, Ahead In Value
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Both screws on the front are air/fuel adjustment screws. They are for each barrel on the carb. Set the idle speed so it will keep running. Adjust the two front screws for smooth operation. Then lower the idle speed with the idle screw. Readjust the front screws.

Use of a vacuum gage will help immensely for this project.

Agrin

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

Garbo Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks Dads 31 and AntiqueMechanic...my 1965 had been sitting in my mother's garage for 13 years without being run. Believe or not, the Sear's DieHard still holds a charge and has operated like a new battery even thou it sat uncharged all that time. I had the body work done and the whole car repainted and, supposedly had the gas tank drained and the carb rebuilt, but it doesn't look like it. The car seemed to idle okay, but if I revved it up, the rpms would drop to a stall. I thought it might be flooding itself. The exhaust was black so, with your help, I adjusted the gas/air mixture. The idle speed seemed to increase. Now for a test run. Thanks again and I'll let you know the results.
Best wishes,
Chuck

garbo
Garbo Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I'm very happy to report that my '65 now "runs like a champ". I just needed to lean it out some. Thanks again for your input.
Best wishes,
Chuck

garbo
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
crusin' the Rockies in an old Chevy..... doesn't get any better than that.

Chevrolet

Valve In Head, Ahead In Value
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Hey Garbo,

This must be the 65 Impala that "we" were talking about a while back. Around May or June. As I recall, it was your mother's.

I don't remember if it was a 2 door hardtop or a 4 door hardtop??????

Sounds like you're enjoying it. I'm glad you kept it and got it running.

yipp

Bill.

Garbo Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi Bill...you're right. It's the two door, I call them hardtop convertibles, Impala 283 auto. I had the body work done and had it painted a stock red (from the aqua green)...a little off red that looks real jazzy. If my mother saw it now (she's 92), she have a tizzy. I need to replace some of the chrome pieces, but everything else looks good. I was intending to sell it, but now I don't know...In the meantime, it's safely stored in the garage. I'm still working on my '39 MD...Since I've retired, I don't have as much time as I used to (like someone said...I should go back to work so I can have two days off)
Best wishes and thanks for the thoughts,
Chuck

garbo
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I'd strongly suggest rebuilding your carburetor.External settings do not go out of adjustment by themselves.
I suspect by what you described that your float/needle and seat assemblies are very gummed up or bad.
Leaning out your idle mixture screws simply compensated for what is most likely an internal carb problem.Nothing a simple rebuild will not take care of. My thoughts,Jim

Garbo Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks Jim...good suggestion.
Chuck

garbo
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
What is the float made of in this carb.?

I have had some metal floats get holes in them in the past.

People are like a box of chocolates you never know what you are going to get...
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Chuck,

Good to hear you're enjoying the car. 65's are very nice looking. Especially 2 dr hardtops.

Take care......

Bill.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.