Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Garbo Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
My mother has had her 1965 283 Impala stored in her garage since 1998. It's now time to decide what to do with it. Needless to say, it's not running, but it ran when last put in the garage. There's a little rust around one wheel well and a few rather minor dings and signs of wear with 80,000 miles. The car is an automatic, hardtop covertible. My question (maybe hard to answer) is it worth my towing it home and getting it into running condition for sale. I don't want to keep it because I'm working on my own 1939.
Best wishes and thanks in advance, Chuck

garbo
Wilwood Engineering1955-1957

Willwood Engineering

Wilwood Engineering designs and manufactures high-performance disc brake systems.
Wilwood Engineering, Inc. - 4700 Calle Bolero - Camarillo, CA 93012 - (805) 388-1188

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Garbo:

IMHO I'd get it 'home' and 'spruce it up' a bit. I'd think there'd be a pretty good market for an 80k mile 'original' 1965 Impala TWO door hardtop. (Incidentally, unless I missed it, you didn't indicate 2 or 4 doors. Obviously a 2 dr is much more desirable than a 4 dr.)

Seemingly you could do most of what needs to be done to get it ready for sale. Included in that is all the obvious stuff like check the brakes, hoses, etc. etc. Clean-up the interior and exterior. Etc. Etc. Presuming you can get the interior shampooed and the exterior 'buffed' (in other words a "basic detail") for $100-$150, you might want to give serious thought to that. Especially if that isn't something you can do, and do sorta 'well.'

Remember Garbo, you (the car) only gets one chance to make a 'first impression.' It is very important that the car 'look good' when a prospective buyer sees it for the first time!

I strongly feel most guys are much more interested in buying what is basically a 'turn key' car. The only guys who will come looking at it as it is now will be bargain hunters. Often those folks are out-right jerks.

I can't tell from the 'map' I found on the www just how far Idaho Springs is from Denver. I'm guessing an hour at most. Let's face it, it's best to have a bunch of folks nearby, some of whom will be interested in a '65 Impala.

I could go on for 'pages' about all this; but will presume you get my drift.

I suggest you get it ready for sale and I'll bet you'll be delighted with the 'results' !!!

Bill.

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Garbo stated that: "The car is an automatic, hardtop covertible". 42bill is calling it a hardtop. So...is the car a hardtop or is it a convertible? :confused: :confused: :confused:

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
Garbo Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi Bill, Thanks for the encouragement and information...I was thinking I don't need a new project because I'm a retired guy and have never been so busy...but I think bringing it home and working on it a bit at a time would work. The car is a two door. I called it a hardtop convertible because I was going back to the fifties when Chevies without doorposts were "the coolest." Idaho Springs is about 35 miles west of Denver, a great little mountain town. OK Bill, now I've got another project thanks to you, but like everyone always thinks..."Hey, you're retired and don't have anything else to do."
Best wishes,
Chuck

garbo
ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
Garbo, have you wondered how you ever had the time to WORK?
Bill,Two door hardtop convertibles are for sissies and young bucks!.... Real Codgers and their wives love the 4 door hardtops, some folks travel, others travel well...in 4 door hardtops!

devil devil devil bigl wink

Life's a long winding trail, love Jesus and ride a good horse!
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Oh for Pete's sake JYD. You know very well that some Madison Avenue 'cat' came up with "hardtop convertible" to describe the 2 door hardtops in the early 50's. Garbo and I were simply showing our age when we knew what 'we' were talking about.

You're either too young to know - or too old to remember.

Bill.

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
:)

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Over the years I've changed my thinking about a lot of things. Including some models of Chevys.

Fortunately I haven't changed my thinking about four door hardtops.

Bill.

Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
OK I'll jump in here with my ?? seeing how we have some 65 people on board. I am doing a "2 door convertible" SS and looking for nos or repro wheel well and rear trunk mouldings black ones - cheap, anyone?
thanks
Paul

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
A few years ago, not many really, these parts for my '68 were still available at my 'local Chevy dealer.'

The same may be true for your '65.....

Frankly, I almost always check there first. On many occasions I find the part available and almost always less than from a "specialty" type vendor. (The 'specialty' place gets their stuff from the same place and then has to put their 'percentage' on top of that.)

Bill

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Chuck (Garbo) and Paul (pau111):

I'm going to post this here hoping it may be of assistance to both of you....

Impala Bob\'s

You'll also find a full page ad in the July issue of G & D, page 47.

I seems like it might be worth (both of) your time to be in touch with this fellow.....

The Filling Station in Lebanon, Or (a long time member of the VCCA) who many of us know and love may also have (some of) these items.

For The Filling Station, click here:

The Filling Station

Bill.

Garbo Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks for the "site" Bill...I'll spend some time checking it out...Since I'm retired, I don't have anything else to do. Thanks again.
Chuck

garbo
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
yes and quite a 'percentage' as you probably know - eg. $600 for the wrap around three piece black molding on the rear.

paul

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
pau111: $600 does sound like a lot of $$$ for the 3 piece molding..... :( :(

Garbo: Just trying to help / give you some ideas to think about..... laugh wink laugh

Have fun with your "65's" guys..... :) :)

Bill.

Garbo Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi Bill...Thanks again...not only when you retire do you have nothing to do, but you also have unlimited resources...Just ask my son...Best wishes and thanks again.
Chuck

garbo
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Hey Chuck,

Have you gotten that hole in your cheek repaired yet?? The one where your tongue nearly poked a hole right through your cheek!!

My boys sorta quit 'asking' me. They now 'ask' their mother - who apparently does have unlimited funds; until it comes time for me to buy another car.....

Interesting....

(Incidentally, first wife, 40 plus years.)

Bill.

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Hey Garbo,

I see from a recent post in a different thread that you went ahead on this project. Good for you.

The only "problem" may be that after the car is painted it'll look so nice you won't want to sell it.

Bill.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Nice to hear the question is settled. A new battery, shine up the tires and spray on some resale red and this car in 3+ condition is going to go for close to what it cost new, 2-door, 4-door, hardtop or post. Check the June '06 Hemmings for the Palm Springs auction. People are springing top dollar for also-rans because Impalas and high-demand muscle are getting scarce.

http://home.comcast.net/~ps_kennedy/wsb/media/342430/site1043.JPG

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.