Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
A while back I asked about correct colors for my 67 1/2 ton C10 engine and the answer was clearly Chevy Orange. After a thorough cleaning, it turns out that the harmonic balancer, intake manifold, as well as transmission, were orange, but the block, head, valve cover, and timing cover were gray. My guess is that the engine was changed somewhere along the way.

If my information is correct and I am figuring this right, the block casting number (3877178) puts the block anywhere from 62-78 and was apparently used on a number of GM products during that period. If anyone can narrow the year down for me using that number, I would appreciate it.

Next, I looked for engine number, but cannot find it anywhere. The block appears to be very smooth and shiny right behind the distributor (in fact, looks like it may have been ground down a little), and I cannot see anything on the back, driver's side of the block. Any suggestions?

Last for now, can anyone tell me what color the pushrod covers were? After all grease and grunge removed, they seem like they were shiny like chrome. Or, would they have been engine color? Thanks for any help. wjb

Wilwood Engineering1955-1957

Willwood Engineering

Wilwood Engineering designs and manufactures high-performance disc brake systems.
Wilwood Engineering, Inc. - 4700 Calle Bolero - Camarillo, CA 93012 - (805) 388-1188

Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
You could call the GM number 1-800-222-1020 and ask for a restoration packet.
This is a free service.
They will need your vin#
Garya

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Garya: Thanks for the info. wjb

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.