Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Where can i find a list of colors the for the block, head, oil covers, fuel pump and other parts attached to my 52 engine?
And a list of engine colors for a 54 corvette 6 cylinder engine?
And the same for a 54 truck 6 cylinder engine?
I have a 54 truck engine in my 52 car but i want to compare the two color differences first, if any.
Then I would like to paint my 54 truck engine to look like a 54 corvette engine.

And what are the colors for a 52' 3 spd transmission and bell housing.
I see a cool steel blue type color peeking through the rust on my 3spd and maybe the bell housing too but what is the colors correct name?
And factory colors for the torque tube, rear diff, and brake drums and front suspension parts... i assume they were all the 50's semi gloss black but i cant find even a speck of paint left on those parts.

I'm aware many underhood parts were a semi gloss black but what level or percentage is the gloss?
i've tried powder coating two parts one in 80percent gloss and its too shiny.
The other part was 30-40 percent gloss and its not shiny enough.
I see a powder sold in 55percent and another in 60percent.
Wonder if someone knows which might be closer to the original gloss.
I know the correct gloss black is sold in spray paint cans but i haven't seen what gloss level or percentage it is labeled as.

Become a Member!

JOIN THE VCCA and get access to the member-only features of the forum, including the ability to upload photos. You'll also receive our monthly magazine "Generator & Distributor". Yearly membership as low as $25!

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
All Chevrolet engines, car or truck, were gray in 1952.
All passenger car and Corvette engines were blue from 1954 and up,
All 235 truck engines were gray (never blue) up through 1962
Trans. case not painted.
Torque tube black paint.
fuel pump not painted.
The engine was assembled and then painted. The water pump, balancer, flywheel housing and pans, oil pan, both manifols valve cover were painted as a unit.
Starter, generator , fan, and distributor black.
The black parts had a medium shine.

Gene Schneider
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thats good to know.
Then, on second thought, ill paint the 54 truck engine gray
i painted the frame rails white and all the cross members black so the blue engine would throw it all off.
the grey engine will color coordinate nicely with a black and white color scheme.
The car body is still the original factory black. The seats were a grey or silver vinyl before i stripped them.

So the cast iron grey paint for manifolds is not an original correct color?
I prefer that look though which creates a visual separation of parts.

How do people restore a 3spd transmission to a factory appearance if its not painted? i assume sandblasting but then what to protect all the work?
My transmission is entirely rust colored but i'm sure i've seen some type of steel blue color, like on some firearms, on the bell housing or maybe it was on an inspection plate for the clutch.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I don't understand what you are trying to do. Are you interested in having a vehicle with nicely color-coordinated parts and pieces, or a vehicle with factory-correct colors on all pieces? You can't have both!!

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I've already wrecked "factory correct colors" by painting the frame rails white.
i want to know what was factory correct color on all pieces and make my color decision based on that.
Also i see so many variations on restored 49-52 cars that its hard to tell what the factory colors were or if a part was originally painted.
For an example if i sandblast the transmission and can find a paint that looks like bare steel or a flat clear coat then ill use that.
Im not concerned if any part is the exact shade of a factory correct color but if i can find a powder coat color thats close i'll use it.

So i want to know what were the factory correct color of parts so that i have a target to aim for.
The car and parts are in less than good condition, most are pitted by rust but, they are now bare metal.
I'm going to powder coat them instead of paint them b/c of their less than perfect condition.
This is a 95 percent do-it-myself restoration and im tired of derusting and sanding and primer/paint fumes trying to make pitted parts look new again
so im just gonna powder coat over the pits after light sandblasting.

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
So others will view your posts and enter into the conversation you should probably post in the 1949-54 forum.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
point well taken.

should i repost my questions in that forum or should i leave them here?

also i now see that my engine block is blue which is baffling b/c its a 54 truck engine and there is some of the same blue on the bell housing so im not quite done with this question.

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
I have used a "cast iron" stove paint on my brake drums and it looks very close to bare metal. Also used it on my tranny but could not find the photo.

Attached Images
004.JPG
Last edited by m006840; 05/22/18 01:40 PM.

Steve D
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
should i repost my questions in that forum or should i leave them here?

You can start a new thread in the 1949-54 forum with your questions and then go from there.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
gene: the 53 corvette 235's were painted blue like the 54's and the half dozen 55 corvettes that were 235 ci equipped. the 55 265 corvettes were painted chevy engine orange. for some strange reason, the 56 265 ci engines were painted fire engine red. by 57 up thru the 67's , all were painted chevy engine orange(the l-88 and l-89's heads were bare aluminum). can't speak for the c-3 up corvette engine colors. regards,mike

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Yes, I kind of skipped over 1953. The 1953 Power Glide AND Corvette engines were blue, thus the "Blue Flame" engine.
Stick shift cars and 216 and 235 trucks gray.

Gene Schneider
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
i now stand corrected via my question in the 49-54 forum.

my 1954 235 engine with solid lifers is a passenger car engine that was paired with a 3spd manual trans, as noted by the Z stamped at the end of the serial number and has a bit of pale blue paint on the block which i found under grease and hidden by the starter.

i was sure i had a 1954 truck engine for over a decade. Its amazing what you don't know if you don't ask.

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
thanks for posting the paint tip and pic of the brake drum.
i really like the understated, muted and plain color of the stove paint.
thats just what i'm looking for to paint parts that are replaceable or were not painted from the factory.

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Note that the 1939-1954 front crossmember with all suspension and brake parts was pre assembled and painted BLACK an installed to the frame on the assembly line as a unit.
The differential was done in the same way. Everything including brakes and torque tube on earllier models painted and installed as a unit.

Last edited by Chev Nut; 05/27/18 09:30 AM.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Gene,

Re up to 1952.

How about the oil/crankcase vent tube. I think you missed that. Blact too, I think.

Just nitpicking,

Charlie computer

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
YES ....Black

Gene Schneider
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Good to know how the original parts were finished.
Think i found a powder coat that matches the original gloss level.
but so far no shop will powder coat the transmission or the crankcase vent tube b/c they are both full of oils.
though i did stumble onto UV cured powder coating for wood, plastic, and i assume oil filled parts but, not in my area.
so i'll have to use a spray paint.

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
on a side topic to your mention of 55 corvettes with blue 235 engines,
how many were produced?
what has been the lowest and highest selling price of one?
just curious.
i'm sure i can never afford one, though i'd like to see one in person.

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
rumor has it just SIX 55 corvettes left st Louis with 235 ci engines while the other 55's were 265 ci V-8's. restored 55's fetch 75-125K. .. mike

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
How about the color of hood hinges on my 52 car?
were they painted or galvanized or plated somehow?

and the metal structure that holds the hood latch and spring?
i don't recall seeing paint on it.

was the carburetor plated with something?

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
The 1952 version of the Rochester type B and BC carburetors would have:

Bowl, and airhorn - zinc chromate
Throttle body - Parkerized (black oxide is close)
Steel pieces (including body screws) electroplate with yellow zinc.

Somewhere around 1955/1956 the body screws became black oxide instead of yellow zinc.

Jon.

Good carburetion is fuelish hot air

Owner, The Carburetor Shop (in Missouri)

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.