Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#40701 06/25/04 08:20 AM
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hello, I have a question. I am looking at purchasing a 1961 Chevrolet bubbletop, and want to check the id numbers closely. The VIN matches the title, however did Chevrolet stamp the body with the VIN anywhere else? My 1969 Z/28 was stamped in a couple of places.

I want to make sure the car is legit. Thank you in advance!

Wilwood Engineering1955-1957

Willwood Engineering

Wilwood Engineering designs and manufactures high-performance disc brake systems.
Wilwood Engineering, Inc. - 4700 Calle Bolero - Camarillo, CA 93012 - (805) 388-1188

#40702 06/25/04 04:54 PM
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
The VIN is stamped on a stainless plate welded to the driver side A pillar cowl.

It is visible when the driver door is open.

If this car is a SS model - be very suspect as quite a few are cloned.

Oliver J. Giorgi
Technical Advisor
1958 Passenger Car
#40703 06/25/04 10:39 PM
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thank you, is the VIN stamped elsewhere on the body? My guess is the frame should be marked, but does it have a hidden number like my '69Z which was stamped under the blower cover? Or is the VIN plate the only body number identification other than frame and block. I just want to be sure before I part with the cash. Thanks

#40704 06/28/04 12:54 PM
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Maryland muscle,
The VIN derivitive was stamped in two places on top of the left hand frame rail. One is about 6" in front of the transmission crossmember, roughly under the front edge of the front seat. The other is midway along the straight rail that runs along side the trunk well. There's not much room between the body and the frame, but you can get a small wire brush, or your finger and a rag with solvent in there to clean it. You'll have to use a flash light and a mirror to see it.
By "derivitive", I mean it will have the Letter corresponding to the assembly plant (such as "B" for Baltimore), followed by the last 6 digits of the VIN. No additional or hidden VINs on the "body" nor on the blocks in '61.
You did not say whether this "bubbletop" was a Belair or an Impala. And as Ollie said, if it's being represented as an SS, you need to do a lot more homework than checking the VIN. Perhaps posting all the information from the cowl tag would be a good idea.

Verne.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.