Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#40472 06/19/02 09:41 PM
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
(Posting the following info for a newbie to our discussion board who is having problems with his computer.)

I bought a 1961 Chevrolet Traville Motor Home a couple of years ago and have not had a chance to do anything with it yet. It's a Class A motorhome with an all-steel body, wraparound windshield, and bullet front in one piece of stamped steel. It runs on gas or propane with a switchover knob on the dash. It has a really neat driver seat (no passenger seat) that moves up and down like it's floating. It's got a four speed Hydramatic that shifts very abruptly. I tried to fix that but some of the rods were bent and I tried to straighten them out and it's a little better but still "herky jerky" as a local guy described it.

I have never seen one like it anywhere. Its built, I am told, on a one ton chassis. It does not have dual wheels but I bought a full set from a guy east of San Francisco and eventually want to put them on although it will take some body cutting for the rears. The axles will take them but the rear wheel wells are made for single wheels.

I know nothing about the transmission other than it has long rods that do the shifting as I mentioned above. I also have a spare one that came with it in a big storage case as well as a spare crank that looks brand new and a bunch of other parts. Some torque converter things I think, a few other things like camshaft and rocker arms, and so on.

The straight six 261engine was totally rebuilt in 1981, 15,000 miles ago. I bought it from the girlfriend of the old guy that owned it but died and left it to her. He had lived in it in a storage lot belonging to the guy who rebuilt the engine.Glendale Engine Rebuilders, or something like that.

I'm actually afraid to take it on the road because I know absolutely nothing about it. Particularly the trans. I've driven nothing but VWs for years and am pretty clueless about other engines, etc.

I think it may have some kind of power assist on the steering but it must be kaput because it steers "like a truck." A big truck!

I'd appreciate hearing from any one who would like to offer advice, or share stories, or tell me anything about this vehicle or how to find out things about it. I really like it because it's so different. I'd send a picture but I don't know how to do it on the computer. (I'm 68 years old and computer-stupid.)

Richard Karl
Long Beach CA
R.Karl@verizon.net
----------------------------------------

Please reply directly to Richard (not me)... Thanks! laugh

Bill Barker
Previous VCCA CHAT Administrator
(VCCA Member: 9802)
Wilwood Engineering1955-1957

Willwood Engineering

Wilwood Engineering designs and manufactures high-performance disc brake systems.
Wilwood Engineering, Inc. - 4700 Calle Bolero - Camarillo, CA 93012 - (805) 388-1188

#40473 06/19/02 10:17 PM
ChatMaster - 2,000
Online Content
ChatMaster - 2,000
Bill, I think this one would fair better in the commercial section, I am going to move it. I think there would be more 261 cui experts in that forum
John

John

1954 Belair Sport Coupe
1960 2 door Impala Hardtop 348/340HP 4spd
1962 2 door Impala Hardtop 409/409 4spd
1962 2 Door Biscayne Sedan 327/250 Auto
1977 Monza Mirage 305 4 Speed
1988 Celebrity Wagon
2018 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Diesel

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.