Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Haase Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hello everyone,

My name is Brian, I live in a small town in Ohio and I'm 28 years old. I've had my 1926 Touring since July 2017 and I just haven't found the time to share it until now. I believe the car has been maintained and worked on, but has never been restored. Most of the wood is in excellent condition, it's never been painted, the electrical system is somehow working and I've gotten it to run and drive without much effort. Here it is the day we got it home:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My grandfather discovered the car in the Generator and Distributor after we got home from the Mid-America Four Cylinder Tour back in May 2017. After a couple of months of speaking with the owner, I placed a deposit and my father and I drove 600 miles from Piqua, Ohio to Kansas City, Missouri. The car had been kept with a friend's private collection in a climate-controlled warehouse since about 1985 or 1986.

I think that the history of this old Chevy is just as interesting as the car itself. It was found by a gentleman in the Veteran Motor Car Club of America in an open side of a barn near Chilhowee, Missouri. He purchased it for his father just before Easter in 1956. It was rarely driven because he could not decide if it should be restored or not. He wiped it down with an oily rag and left in his basement garage.

The gentleman that I got it from found it in 1980, buried in a pile of boxes, furniture and other items. After getting the car home, he put in a battery and a new set of points in the distributor and the car ran and drove. It was used occasionally for car shows, visiting his children’s friends at school and even letting his young son drive it. Sometime around 1986, the car was allowed to be stored in a friend’s climate controlled warehouse in Kansas City, Missouri where it sat until I found it in July 2017.

I've been working on the car, but there is still a lot to do. The original honeycomb radiator had a couple holes in it and it was full of calcium. I had a brand new honeycomb core installed with the original tanks. I also rebuilt the water pump. I went through the entire fuel system. Cleaned the tank, blew out the lines, rebuilt the Stewart Warner vacuum pump, added a couple inline filters and rebuilt the Carter carburetor. The original coil was a little weak on the high tension side, so a new modern-style 6v coil was added. Plugs and wires were also replaced. Adjusted the valves. I dropped the oil pan to clean and inspect, changed all fluids and lubricated all of the chassis and suspension points.

I cleaned the interior and removed at least two 1920's diseases. I also added some egg crate foam on top of what's left of the seat covers and put Indian blankets over them. To keep the blankets from blowing out, I used a number of female-threaded neodymium magnets. A small screw with a washer goes through the blanket and it sticks to the steel body.

I've already steam cleaned the wheels, but I still need to finish coating them with linseed oil. They are a little dry and therefore loose. The oil will tighten them up. I can also inspect brakes while I'm in there. The tires are from Montgomery Ward. I had never heard of them before, but the older folks that I share the car with have had chuckles after I tell them. I haven't looked for a date on them, but they're decades old. A little cracked on the sidewalls, but the tubes hold air! I will replace them in the spring with Goodyear black walls. The exhaust system is original, I think. It only goes just beyond the transmission. I will replace it with a system that goes to the rear bumper. I still need to check out the steering box and try to tighten it up a bit. I also plan on putting a new wiring harness from Rhode Island Wiring Service in the car before spring.

To help preserve the patina, I covered the entire car (top and bottom) with Gibb's penetrating oil. It lays on really nice and gives the metal a great look. It doesn't have any silicone in it, so if I ever decide to restore this thing, I can strip the oil and paint over it without worrying about failure.

I'll be posting updates as I go. Let me know if you guys have any questions. Thanks for looking!

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Wow! Your car looks really, really solid. Great find!

1938 Canadian Pontiac Business Coupe (aka a 1938 Chevy Coupe with Pontiac shaped front sheet metal - almost all Chevy!)
1975 4-speed L82 Vette
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Very nice, I like what you are doing.

Dave

Last edited by Dave39MD; 01/29/18 07:14 AM.
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Great looking original car! You did good finding that piece of Chevrolet history.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Brian, Are you going to drive it on the VCCA 4 cylinder Tour in Iowa in June? It sure would be a hoot! to see it in person.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Haase Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I will be in Iowa with my grandfather and his 1927 Coupe, but I will not be bringing the Superior along. Leaving the car out in the elements will not do it any favors, unfortunately.

Last edited by Haase; 01/29/18 01:45 PM.
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi Brian,

Since your vehicle is original can you take a photo of your engine compartment (both sides)? A picture is worh a thousand words.

Thanks.......Rob

Haase Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I spent some time working on the car this past weekend. I managed to get the generator back on after having the internals serviced. The dude at the shop was very confused when I asked him to go through it, but DO NOT clean it.

I have also been in the process of getting the wheels off to inspect, clean and maybe replace the wheel bearings. The rear caps were only finger tight, but the front pair were very tight and I could not remove them with brute strength nor a strap wrench... My father helped me solve this problem by making a dust cap wrench out of black walnut. Worked perfectly.

The grease looks pretty spent. I have some nice stuff from Lubriplate to replace it with. The front wheels spun great, but the bearing could look better; in fact, the passenger side race lost it's bearings when I removed it. Does anyone have any recommendations or advice for getting new bearings? I may end up calling Gary Wallace later today.

Passenger side:

Haase Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Are you looking to see something specific? I don't have any decent pictures focusing on those areas... However, I have the following pictures that were given to me before I purchased the car.

I may be working on it tonight, let me know what you want to see and I'll do my best to capture that.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I absolutely love this. Can't wait to meet you and the car.

Jeff

1925 Superior K 4 Dr Sedan
1966 C10
2003 Silverado 1500 HD
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi Brian,

Thanks for the pictures, I appreciate your time. I need some more help:

1. Is the firewall painted black or is it body color?

2. Is the top of the vacuum tank painted black?

3. Is the oil filler tube engine color or black?

4. Is the heat pipe from the exhaust to the carb painted?

5. Can you take a picture of the throttle linkage from the bottom of the steering column to the carb? There appears to be a spring where the rod connects to the carb.

6. Can you take a picture of the distributor linkage from the bottom of the steering column to the distributor?

7. Is the brass carburetor fuel bowl painted black or is it just tarnished in your picture?

8. Is there a spring running from your carb to the firewall?

Thanks for the help..........Rob

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
The original bearing numbers for your front wheels are:

Inner bearing complete: New Departure 909002

Outer bearing complete: New Departure 909001

CJP'S 29
Haase Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Originally Posted by Captain D
Hi Brian,

Thanks for the pictures, I appreciate your time. I need some more help:

1. Is the firewall painted black or is it body color?

2. Is the top of the vacuum tank painted black?

3. Is the oil filler tube engine color or black?

4. Is the heat pipe from the exhaust to the carb painted?

5. Can you take a picture of the throttle linkage from the bottom of the steering column to the carb? There appears to be a spring where the rod connects to the carb.

6. Can you take a picture of the distributor linkage from the bottom of the steering column to the distributor?

7. Is the brass carburetor fuel bowl painted black or is it just tarnished in your picture?

8. Is there a spring running from your carb to the firewall?

Thanks for the help..........Rob

Cool. I'll take some pictures and give you some answers.

Originally Posted by CJP'S 29
The original bearing numbers for your front wheels are:

Inner bearing complete: New Departure 909002

Outer bearing complete: New Departure 909001

Fantastic! Thanks for the info.

Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
laugh

#1 = body color
#2 = all of the vacuum tank is painted black
#3 = engine color
#4 = No
#5 = let's hope someone posts a picture
#6 = " "
#7 = polished not painted
#8 = yes

devil Agrin

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
laugh

Note that the engine is equipped with an aftermarket heat exchanger for the passenger compartment. Chevrolet did not provide a heater for the 27 and earlier with the single exhaust head. A heater was provided for the 1928 which is a "dual" exhaust.

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Brian,
Ask your grandfather about right front wheel bearings. He is an expert! The story will amuse you.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Haase Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Originally Posted by Chipper
Brian,
Ask your grandfather about right front wheel bearings. He is an expert! The story will amuse you.
Oh yeah! I've heard that story. Ha!

Haase Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Originally Posted by AntiqueMechanic
laugh

Note that the engine is equipped with an aftermarket heat exchanger for the passenger compartment. Chevrolet did not provide a heater for the 27 and earlier with the single exhaust head. A heater was provided for the 1928 which is a "dual" exhaust.

If you look closely, you'll notice the nail that's wedged between the manifold shroud and exhaust pipe to keep it from, I assume, making a racket.

DMD Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I like your pictures very much. My car is a 1926 roadster. I noticed you put a fuel filter before the carburetor. The vacuum tank was my biggest problem so I put the fuel filter before the vacuum tank. Maybe you did too? I know the purest would not like it but so I think I will look for sediment bulb at the next swap meet. My car has been in the family for 62 years. Dad restored but it about 35 years ago but it had sat for 10 years with out running until recently. Good luck with your car.

David Duff
Haase Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Originally Posted by Captain D
1. Is the firewall painted black or is it body color? - My car is completely black and the firewall appears to also be black.

2. Is the top of the vacuum tank painted black? It is painted black, but compared to the rest of the engine compartment, this may have been repainted at some point.

3. Is the oil filler tube engine color or black? It's hard to tell with all of the grime on there.

4. Is the heat pipe from the exhaust to the carb painted? It doesn't look like it.

7. Is the brass carburetor fuel bowl painted black or is it just tarnished in your picture? Polished fin, but tarnished from time and fuel.
[img]https://i.imgur.com/XupXVYR.jpg[/img]

8. Is there a spring running from your carb to the firewall? Yes there is.
[img]https://i.imgur.com/Q6b3f8I.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/cN4YmhD.jpg[/img]

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need any more images.

Originally Posted by DMD
...I noticed you put a fuel filter before the carburetor. The vacuum tank was my biggest problem so I put the fuel filter before the vacuum tank. Maybe you did too? I know the purest would not like it but so I think I will look for sediment bulb at the next swap meet....

I have a filter under the car before the vacuum tank and I have another between the tank and the carb. These are temporary and I will be replacing both of them with sediment bowls on the firewall later this year.

Haase Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Please excuse the double post....

I had a chance to work on the car for a little bit yesterday. I was able to get the front inner wheel bearings out and get all of that old axle grease out of the wheels. I'll going to try to order some new bearings later today.

I applied some Gibb's oil to the many bits and pieces for the radiator shell assembly. I will be assembling them this week and hopefully getting the front end of the car put back together.

I've spent quite a bit of time cleaning the hub cap threads on both the caps and the wheels. They had a lot of dirt, grime and rust in them and for the most part, they're pretty good now. However, I am having issues getting a Springfield wheel puller on more than two or three threads (on the rear wheels). The instructions state to wack with a hammer to knock the wheel loose, but my dealership/service book states to not strike the axles in fear of damaging the differential.

What do you guys use to pull wheels? Any advice for using mine?

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
Have you cleaned the old bearings and found damage? If not I would clean and inspect and they may be re-usable. Also if you put in new ones I suggest changing both the races and the bearings.

Steve D
Haase Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Originally Posted by m006840
Have you cleaned the old bearings and found damage? If not I would clean and inspect and they may be re-usable. Also if you put in new ones I suggest changing both the races and the bearings.

Yeah, the passenger side outer bearing lost all of it's balls when I took it apart. Balls also fell out one of the inner bearings.... I'm just going to replace everything. I'm in there anyways.

Haase Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I spent some time messing with the Chevy on Saturday.

The radiator and radiator shell were assembled and reinstalled along with new hoses. It finally looks like a car again!

Does anyone know what may be missing from the face of the radiator cap? It looks like a crest or something may have gone there...

I also applied a coat of linseed oil to the front wheels. It laid on so nice too. Looks like polyurethane. I'll be taking the excess of tonight and after a rub with some steel wool, I'll continue to coat them until it stops absorbing.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
What a fantastic car! Great work you are doing, preserving the history...

Those accustomed to the finest...find it in Chevrolet.
1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
4 members (Tiny, Greg_H, ruscar, 1 invisible), 68 guests, and 25 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aristech, RalphL, tonysk
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,070
Posts429,052
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.