Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Pete34 Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
My 1934 1.5 ton has dual rear wheels. I'm looking to put on single rear wheels. Anyone know where I can obtain them? Can anyone recommend custom wheel shop if I need to go that route?

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
I do not know if I ever seen any with singles on the rear but if they did someone should know.

VCCA #45194
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Pete,
The wheels you are looking for are not just single wheels as would have been installed on a single wheel truck from Chevrolet. A 1934 single wheel 1-1/2 ton truck would have been shipped with the same rear wheel as a dual wheel truck.
The wheel you want is a special order or after market wheel obtained by the Firetruck people. Your best bet is to find someone to take your wheels apart and use your four rims to make two wider rims then reassemble to get the wheel you want.

Mike

P.S. The bed looks great on my truck.

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Many miles of happy motoring
Pete34 Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Mike:
I have to send you pictures of the truck from early 1935 and and a picture of the present wheels I have. The offset and back spacing are different in the two photos. Seems like the tire sits away from the truck further with the single rear wheels. Thus, if Chevy did the singles the same as the duals, just without one, perhaps the wheels were some special built or custom wheel. Glad to here the truck bed fits.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Pete,
You showed me the pics of the fire truck from 1934 and I have never before seen that wheel. Obviously, the goal was to achieve additional flotation on the heavy rear of the truck.
Do you know the tire size used on the truck when it was delivered new? By dismantling your 4 rears and using 4 rims to make 2 wide rims, then re-assembling while trying to match the offset in your photo, I think you can make a wheel like you want.
People who weld for a living are understandably wary of welding on wheels and steering components. Given the intended use of your truck a competent welder would have little to worry about but it might be a challenge to find the right guy.

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Pete34 Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I think the rear wheels were for 9.00 - 20 size tires. And the front were 7.00 - 20 size tires.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
700s would be two sizes larger than the standard front tire on your truck.

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
I think they used the same sized tire (and rim) front and rear on all trucks just put 2 of them on the rear with 10 wheel lugs on the rear and 5 on the front with a plate that cover the empty lug holes. At least that is the way a friends 56 2.5 ton was.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
Pete34 Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
6.50-20's are on the truck now front and back. So if the single wheel trucks coming out of Chevy where the same wheel as the dually, less one wheel and tire on each side in the rear, you're saying modifications where made after the factory. I could see that happening. Looking at the pictures of the truck taken in 1935, seems like the spokes of the wheels sit further back which pushes the wheel out and away from the truck. Thus it seems like the spoke of the wheels, where riveted to the rim of the wheel, could have been removed. And then the wheels were reassembled in reverse.

Once I get the wheels figured out, tires are going to be next. The truck does have a larger overall diameter tire in the rear than the front. From what I've been able to determine is 4". Which gives the truck about a two inch lift in the rear. I have not been able to find tires with the same tread pattern in sizes similar to 900 and 700. With the exception of a NDT military tread pattern.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Pete,
Maybe if you could post the pictures of the original truck, it would help everyone understand what you are trying to achieve.
I think you are right in that the rear wheels were changed by the fire equipment company. You can build the wheel, but if the tire is not available, you still don't get the look you want.

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Pete34 Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Mike, here's the close up of the wheel I'm looking for. Also the picture of the entire truck. Note the wheel size is the same front and rear. However the rear tire is taller by about 4".

Attached Images
Rear Wheel.jpg The truck.jpg
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I would say that the truck is equipped with wider wheels on both ends. The fronts look appropriate for the 700 tires you mentioned in an earlier post. The rears are wider yet to accommodate the larger 900.

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Lou Offline
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Hi Pete,
It sounds like you have a "Silver book" option available from your Chevy dealer.
My 1937 Ambulance came with the 9.00 X 20 option. They are called "Budd Duals".
The factory modified the running boards and rear fender to accommodate the larger tires.
There's a picture of the ambulance and wheel explanation at <http://home.znet.com/t1937/ambl.htm>.
Email me if you want more photos.
Lou c1937@znet.com
The hole in the center of the wheel is larger after 1936 when they used a full floating axle.
The lug pattern is the same so newer wheels will fit older trux but all the weight is carried on the lugs and not the axle. .

Pete34 Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Oh, that’s good stuff, thanks. It answers some questions. I’m a bit new to this and the Silver Book is something new to me too. The link you have which took me to the “GENUINE BUDD WHEELS” ad definitely helps me out. Which now leads me to believe that is what was on the original truck and the look I’m now trying to replicate. And neat little history on your ”˜ambulance.’ Now if I could only find those wheels.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.