Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#403649 02/17/18 11:54 AM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Good day,
I am dealing with the perverbial oil line through the engine block on my 36 standard. It is the later model with steel doors. Actually I have two issues.
I will start by explaining this engine has a remanufacture tag on it. Block number is 836010-5.
I have completely searched the forum for information about this oil line.
I have installed a new 3/16 copper line from the oil distributer through the block and up to the rocker arm fitting. All one piece. The line went in pretty easy, I was able to form it pretty well l with a cheap tube bender and my hands. No kinks.
So my question deals with the brass compression fittings in the block. I used the original fittings consisting of a male slip through compression nut into the female block adapter. Meaning I had to carefully drill or punch out the old tubing from the compression fitting nuts. It did not feel good when I tightened one of the compression fittings into the block connector. It started to get snug then kind of snapped, then tightened up a bit more till it was tight.
I am thinking it may have severed the copper tube in the adapter. It was a late night, so I will go out soon and do an air test on the line to see if it is broke.
So, my question is, is everyone using the same block fittings? I am having trouble finding new replacement fittings online that look like these. Has anyone made it a two piece by using a compression union under the side pan?
I see where some have soldered the block fitting to prevent cross contamination, but is it really necessary with a non pressure cooling system?
My second issue is a supposed oil return tube from the cylinder head to the oil pan. My parts book does list one for 34-36 that is 9/16 OD X 7 and 31/32 long. But it is not shown in any picture. So this engine does not have one. And the oil return hole in the head is about 7/16. And it would need to be about 9 inches long to reach the block. Should I not worry about it?
Sorry about the long post and typos and I appreciate any feedback.
Thank you,
Steve

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

steve118 #403655 02/17/18 02:18 PM
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
The parts book lists the oil return tube as part #837279 and for 1934-1936 engines. 9/16".D. and 7 21/32" long.
The function of this tube is to direct the majority on the oil supplied to the rocker arms a direct return route back to the oil pan thus eleminating larger amounts of oil to gather at the bottom of the side cover. This was to help excessive leaking at the bottom of the side cover. The tube often got damaged and/or forgotten to be installed after the head was replaced. It was not present in my 1934 and I had no problem I am sure it is missing in many engines.
IN 1937 it was used in the new 216 engine and completely eleminated in 1938.

The original rocker arm oil line had the soldered fitting. Chevrolet later sold a line and fitting kit for 1936-1953 models. It consisted of a nipple that threaded into the block (on each side) and a sleve and nut to fit on the nipple. The connections all mest be water and oil tight, pressure system or not. The Chevrolet part number was 609912.
The line kit is available from the Fillinf Station #FS-65 - If it is the same as waht Chevrolet sold it makes installation easy and safe. The small tubing (copper) bends easily by hand.

Gene Schneider
steve118 #403658 02/17/18 03:24 PM
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
The line kit is available from The Filling Station as found on the net. As stated above this line prevents excessive oil from going into the side pan area where the lifters are located. If this happens then the side pan gasket will leak a lot. More than not the "snap" you heard was the brass nut breaking. These will not take a lot of torque. It is more of a tight "snug" that will keep them in place. Good luck on your second try at installing this.

steve118 #403667 02/17/18 05:16 PM
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
The line caries oil up to the rocker arms.
The tube mentioned returns the oil by gravity to the pan.

Gene Schneider

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.