Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#403663 02/17/18 04:55 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
To date I have removed all accessories from the engine and repainted all of it and reassembled. Learning an immense amount of knowledge as I go. I have just recently redone the cowl and radiator lacing and have installed the hood. I'm really pleased with the way everything is coming together as well as the appearance of the car. I have purchased window seals for the entire car and will be starting to replace this in the near future. I messed up the other day and broke an interior door handle trying to use the J-132 tool from Filling Station. Time to make a trip to the barn and see if Grandpa has set any of these aside. The project has been very interesting but you have no idea how many times I have carried on a "conversation" with my Grandfather as to how to do things.

Don't let a day go by that you don't attempt to learn something new.
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Way to keep a family heirloom going. Those conversations with grandpa are precious and you'll remember them as you get older.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Hi Terry, after reading your post it reminded me of the time I had the "conversation" with my Grandfather. My "better half" suggested I should set up the video camera on the kitchen table and record him talking about from day "one" till now. WOW, what I found out about my family and my 37 and other cars was awesome! Now I'll always have that to refer back to.

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
This car is a very significant family heirloom. The 29 Chevy coach I own is the first new car my grandfather sold as a Chevrolet dealer. The car was sold to the Chase family in Madrid NY in January of 1929. At that time the cars were delivered in rail cars to the siding in Madrid Springs, which was approx. a mile and a half from the former livery stable my Grandfather and his brother Wesley operated out of. In 1955 the car was idled by the original buyer and my Grandfather, Alton, bought the car back from the Chase family. 1955 coincidently is also my birth year. Grandpa eventually restored the car and showed it for the first time at the Madrid Volunteer Fire Departments parade and car show in 1959. I have the plaque as well as several others and trophies that Grandpa was awarded through the years. Grandpa drove the car for the last time in the fall of 1992. He placed the car in winter storage in the "barn" where all his other treasures were kept. Grandpa passed on in March of 1993. These autos sat idle for 23 long agonizing years as my father had no interest in the cars. Finally in 2015 I was able to reason with my mother after Dads passing and she followed wishes that had been wrote down years ago. The 29 was awarded to myself and I began the procedure of restoring the auto to what I feel would be my grandfather's wishes. I have now gone through several steps necessary in this procedure.

Last edited by TerryWatson; 03/23/18 09:16 AM. Reason: addition

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
What a momentous story. The preservation of history is extremely important. It not only gives your family pleasant memories of previous generations but firmly illustrates some differences from today. Destruction of historical objects doesn't affect what happened just how we interpret it today. Without them reasonable understanding won't exist.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Terry, thanks for sharing the story of your car. Cars with a known history, especially a family history are a wonderful way to connect. Enjoy your car and please keep us informed as you go along. Great story!

All the Best, Chip

"It's wise to choose a SIX"
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Great story. Well said Chipper.My grandparents said nothing, just looked at us kids. What a loss.

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Over the last couple of weeks I have replaced the weather seals on all the side windows, along with the rear window which I broke before finding the upper corner was removable. Now that my brother in law is home from florida we have began installing the fenders, running boards, aprons, bumpers etc. Hopefully we will have the car completed in a week or so. She's gonna be beautiful!!

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
We have the car almost all done. In the last week we have gotten it totally back together and are now wiring the lights up. Paint is nicely done but lo and behold we haven't any grounds thru the chassis. Have to re-establish them.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
2 members (Jonjet, Mr87Monty), 68 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
SabrinaKarras, Speedy1
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,071
Posts429,076
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.