Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
ChatMaster - 1,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,000
I have read lots of comments on various chat sites about the poor behavior and disrespect the general public shows toward us old car folks and our cars at various shows. It runs the gamut from unsupervised children and pets climbing on vehicles to folks leaning or propping their feet on cars. My local region folks told me of an incident where they left their vehicles parked to get something to eat, then returned to find folks sitting in their cars!!

I wonder if anyone has ever posted a general car show code of conduct for spectators (and owners?)?? This would sure be nice if show organizers posted these at the field entrances.

I like the sticker I have seen that says, " Don't touch this car unless you're naked." rolllaugh

Rick

"Never time to do it right the first time, but always time to do it over."
ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
Some of the vendors supplied placards that read "Please don't touch" but apparently not all bother to read them. One show I attended the wife and I went to get a bite to eat and when we returned there was a 6-7 year old sitting in the front seat with an ice cream cone in his hand and dad standing right there. You really have to have someone remain with the car all the time.

Steve D
ChatMaster - 1,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,000
Wow!! That makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck!!
You make a good point about having a fellow car person watch your car. Even locking the doors won't prevent the idiots touching the outside of the car. orangeupset

I am headed to my first show in CA this month and will be locking my doors. Fortunately, my body and paint work isn't started yet so there isn't much anyone can do to my paint.
I may even post a short etiquette sign anyway.

Rick

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I love having a dirty, rusty, old truck that the public can touch. laugh

That being said, I always have a friend with me to watch over my stuff when I need or want to walk away for a while. If I am alone at a show, usually the person who owns the car next to me will watch my vehicle for a short while.

Cheers, Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by styleline51
I have read lots of comments on various chat sites about the poor behavior and disrespect the general public shows toward us old car folks and our cars at various shows. It runs the gamut from unsupervised children and pets climbing on vehicles to folks leaning or propping their feet on cars. My local region folks told me of an incident where they left their vehicles parked to get something to eat, then returned to find folks sitting in their cars!!

I wonder if anyone has ever posted a general car show code of conduct for spectators (and owners?)?? This would sure be nice if show organizers posted these at the field entrances.

I like the sticker I have seen that says, " Don't touch this car unless you're naked." rolllaugh

I HAVE HAD A PRINTED OUT SIGN 3 X 5"ON MY 35 COUPES VENT WINDOW FOR 20 YEARS. SAYS......
"THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING INSIDE THIS CAR WORTH LOSING YOUR LIFE OVER "

WORKS..........MIKE Agrin

ChatMaster - 1,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,000
Good point, Rustoholic. My car is not restored on the outside yet, and I find people climb all over it just because it doesn't look pretty. So either way, we have to be vigilant for the inconsiderate.

Rick

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
When out and about, I leave my dog in the car...His bark will unnerve the most curious...smiles...

1947 Fleetmaster Sport Coupe VCCA # 47475

If it's not wearing a Bowtie...It's not properly dressed...!
ChatMaster - 1,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,000
As long as it is not too hot for the pooch.
Another creative solution!! idea

Rick

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Rick,

I created my own sign ....

"DON'T TOUCH OR RUB MY BODY PARTS, I'VE NEVER TOUCHED OR RUBBED YOURS"

1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 door sedan / purchased from second owner 6-19-2000.
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Most of the people here ask about it before they do it, so I don't mind it so much since our cars aren't perfect show cars. Still have door slammers and people leaning on stuff but I can't get fired up. At least I try not to. Kids get a kick out of being able to sit in our '47 and play with the buttons, etc. But deep down I worry about the manners of people in 20 years. We're all going to be cavemen and women.

-Daryl Scott #45848
1947 Chevrolet Fleetline Sportmaster Sedan
1976 Chevrolet C20 Fleetside

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by Daryl Scott
Most of the people here ask about it before they do it, so I don't mind it so much since our cars aren't perfect show cars. Still have door slammers and people leaning on stuff but I can't get fired up. At least I try not to. Kids get a kick out of being able to sit in our '47 and play with the buttons, etc. But deep down I worry about the manners of people in 20 years. We're all going to be cavemen and women.

Regarding cavemen and women.

The words "respect" and "responsibility" are quickly disappearing from our vocabulary and our actions.

If anyone has doubt to my statement, simply go for a ride on a freeway.

1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 door sedan / purchased from second owner 6-19-2000.
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
What torques me is when a car guy, VCCA member who has restored lots of high point Chevy's, and I did not ask very nice for him to get his butt off my car and lean on his own car. You would think someone like that would know better.

Last edited by dens41; 01/18/17 06:19 PM.

Dens Chevys 1927 Speedster 1928 coupe 1941street rod 1947Fleetline 4 door 1949 1/2 ton Pickup (sold) 1954 210 4 door 1972 Monte Carlo 2003 Corvette convt..
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
reminds me of an incident in the mid-70's. the wife and i were heading to wilminton NC to join my parents and out young daughters for a week at the shore. lea and i were in our 64 corvette and i'll admit we were running pretty fast on secondary NC road, nearing wilmington. an early 70's black 4 door ford got to tailgating the 64 coupe, and naturally, i ran the 365 HP coupe up around 90 mph. about 5 miles down the road, there was a roadblock setup to greet us.a pair of NC state troopers blocked the road. the NC state troopers were decent, but the barney fife sherrif's deputy in the black ford was a rectal hole. he ran his mouth just about the time he placed his shoe on the NOS rear bumper of the coupe, and i went ballistic. the troopers instructed him to remove his boot from the vet and told him to get along as they'd take care of the situation. the deputy left and we were instructed to follow the troopers down the road. a couple miles later, they had us pull over. the troopers confirmed my analysis of the deputy, gave me a warning and told me to keep it under 55 mph. i still have the wife and the 64 coupe. mike

ChatMaster - 1,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,000
All interesting stories. Thanks all.

Bob--neat sign idea. Anyone else have any unique ideas for signs??Sometimes a little humor gets the point across. LOL

Rick

ChatMaster - 1,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,000
Went to a recent cruise in in my neighborhood. (Cars n Coffee)

Pleased to report parents with small children were very responsible and taught their kids to look with their eyes.
I had to remind one adult of this maxim, however.

There is hope!!

Rick

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I live in a small town and have found most people are considerate when looking at the cars, there is usually an exception now and then. The thing I find interesting is how many people had or know someone who had a car just like mine! 1932 4 door special sedan

1932 4 door Special Sedan 1916 490 Touring
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
I do not have a show car. Never will have a car that I'll show that I will have any warning about touching it or young children a-crawling all over it inside and out even with a molassas biskuit in their hands.

What is one to expect when you go out and show a car. If you don't want it to get scratched, dinged and dirtied up then keep it in the garage with a sheet covering it.

When you venture out in the public you have no right to expect others will not treat your precious darling of a car any better than they would a carnival ride

Easy up you hard case guys. Signs such as being naked, touching in some fashion or other, looking with eyes only etc are off putting and may permently cause injury the little children's psychi. Now surely you don't want a child committed to an institution only because you behaved too anal about your stinking old ride.
We must be ever viligent in ont offending the public when we show out cars. Merely such it up and get the car's dents straightened out, repainted and reupholstered and quit whining.

I hope you-all will take this to heart and comply with this here little epistle on correct behavior of car owners. Don't be a sour puss. Yeah! Agrin wave

You're welcome, devil

Charlie computer

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
Charlie could you post a photo of ANY car you have like maybe a 41 or something. You could even add a photo for your avatar. The one time I did show my car and was not watching it closely I returned to find a six year old eating an ice cream cone sitting in the front seat. His dad was right there taking his picture-and he didn't even offer to get me an ice cream cone!! No I did not scream and holler but I did remind him to be careful not to lose his ice cream cone.

Steve D
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Sorry, but having people treating any car or truck at a car show with complete disregard is wrong, whether it is a one of kind Shelby Cobra or 1985 Dodge Omni with the original dirt. My experience has been with my truck at car shows, that for the most part people are respectful and well mannered, however occasionally I had to deal with morons who have wanted to use my truck as a leaning post, a playground for their kids or a shelve to store items temporarily. When told to not do some behavior, the usual response is “hey, it is just a truck”. Well true, but it is my truck! And I get to make the rules concerning it. Call me jerk if you want, but I have too much time, energy and money in the restoration of my truck for some clod to come along and treat it like he owns it. End of Rant!

1936 GMC T-14 low cab. TA for 1935-37 GMC, Director of the Gulf Coast Region
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
What really torqued me was at a rollin and a VCCA member, that I never really cared for, was leaning on my car. I have seen this person at a middle west meet wearing white gloves while they were unloading there pickup out of the enclosed trailer for judging. You would think someone that picky would have more respect for someone else. Needless to say I was not that nice when I told him to get his a$$ off my car.

Dens Chevys 1927 Speedster 1928 coupe 1941street rod 1947Fleetline 4 door 1949 1/2 ton Pickup (sold) 1954 210 4 door 1972 Monte Carlo 2003 Corvette convt..
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by 41specialdeluxe
I do not have a show car. Never will have a car that I'll show that I will have any warning about touching it or young children a-crawling all over it inside and out even with a molassas biskuit in their hands.

What is one to expect when you go out and show a car. If you don't want it to get scratched, dinged and dirtied up then keep it in the garage with a sheet covering it.

When you venture out in the public you have no right to expect others will not treat your precious darling of a car any better than they would a carnival ride

Easy up you hard case guys. Signs such as being naked, touching in some fashion or other, looking with eyes only etc are off putting and may permently cause injury the little children's psychi. Now surely you don't want a child committed to an institution only because you behaved too anal about your stinking old ride.
We must be ever viligent in ont offending the public when we show out cars. Merely such it up and get the car's dents straightened out, repainted and reupholstered and quit whining.

I hope you-all will take this to heart and comply with this here little epistle on correct behavior of car owners. Don't be a sour puss. Yeah! Agrin wave

You're welcome, devil

Charlie computer

Charlie, don't give up ! Professional assistance is out there. dance drink willy

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
The worst experience I ever had was when I had my '62 convertible at a show when another '62 convertible pulled in and parked next to me, top down, kids with ice cream cones and a dog in the back seat. They decided to walk around and left the dog tied to an aluminum folding chair near the back of their car. Well, the dog decided to take off. The folding chair made a sweeping turn and bounced off the quarter panel of my car.
When they got back, we had a talk!

You see, it's not just the ignorant public you have to worry about; some people just shouldn't be allowed near a classic car - Period!

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by Verne_Frantz
The worst experience I ever had was when I had my '62 convertible at a show when another '62 convertible pulled in and parked next to me, top down, kids with ice cream cones and a dog in the back seat. They decided to walk around and left the dog tied to an aluminum folding chair near the back of their car. Well, the dog decided to take off. The folding chair made a sweeping turn and bounced off the quarter panel of my car.
When they got back, we had a talk!

You see, it's not just the ignorant public you have to worry about; some people just shouldn't be allowed near a classic car - Period!

And AMEN !

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
V_F,

Last time I checked the 1962 convertible was not a classic as recognized by the CCCA. Just a minor slip there: calling it a classic. Forgivable. A lot of folks make that mistake.

Anyway, you should have spoken to the folks who owned the dog and aluminum folding chair before they went "walkabout." (I threw that in for our friends down under australianewzealand )

When they left they had the understanding that you would take care of their mutt and see to its behavior and well being. That is what is assumed when you don't say anything beforehand.

Under the circumstances you describe, one would have thought that you would have made sure the dog was well shaded, had plenty of cool water, food (they like Kibbles and Bits and hamburger. You should have anticipated the needs of your neighbors and made plans for every foreseeable contingency. Make a list, if you must.

You failed to take care of the pup, were responsible for any damage it caused whilst scooting around tied to a aluminum folding chair, hungery, thirsty and looking for some shade. Shame on you. Agrin You didn't mention whether you chased the dog and its trailing chair or not as you should have doneso that it didn't do further damage. Should have took off running after it or sent the missus after it (they like dogs and cats and stuff). That's what good neighbors are for. I bet you didn't even know the children's names much less the pup. Mercy and heavens to Betsy. What is the world coming to.

Also, whilst they other party was gone you could have gone the extra mile and cleaned up their ride. A wet cloth and some soap and elbow grease would have plesently surprised them when they returned with the kiddies. A real missed opportunity right there, good buddy. Was too. In your defense, I'm sure it may have been just a slip of the mind. We must be ever vigilant whilst at car shows. Oh, yeah,

Next time you go to a car show take along some tootise pops, some water guns w/five gallons of water for ammo for the kiddies, some Paul Newman's caned dog food and dog treats for pets and enough human snacks to go aroung for the adults. And lighten up. Your wife is not gonna bury you in the 1962. She's gonna call the junk man to come and get it. Yep! Ask her.

Bob,

As to your insinuation that I need mental help, let me just say that am not so far mentally screwed up to put a outside sun screen on my car. You do live in one of the loviest places in NC, though. luv2

You're both welcome,

Charlie computer

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000

Oh my.

Charlie, are you saying the FULTONS are not a "kool addition" to our rides ??? willy

P.S. I must say you and I do agree on Hendersonville. We love living here. dance

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 74 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
SabrinaKarras, Speedy1
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,072
Posts429,077
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.