Vintage Chevrolet Club - Forums
A nonprofit organization dedicated to the preservation, restoration and enjoyment of all Chevrolets and GMCs.

Owner: Rustoholic
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Resurrecting a '28 4 banger [Re: Rustoholic] #403205
02/08/18 04:06 AM
02/08/18 04:06 AM
San Leandro, CA
Rustoholic Offline OP
ChatMaster - 2,000
Rustoholic  Offline OP
ChatMaster - 2,000
San Leandro, CA
While the radiator is off and access to the front of the engine is good, I flushed the water jacket out with clean water from the house.

I put the thermostat housing on (temporarily) without the thermostat in it and clamped it on with a couple of long 3/8-16 bolts with nuts to hold the housing in place. The brass bolts that I'll use for the housing had not arrived yet (purchased them on ebay). The first photo shows this setup.

The second photo shows the garden hose hooked up to the water pump (with a shut off valve inline) and an old bicycle inner tube clamped onto the thermostat housing, the other end of which was placed in a plastic bucket. With this setup, I can quickly turn the water on and off (shock the rust particles) and see what comes out in the bucket.

After water blasting a few times, I reversed the hoses so the direction of the water would be reversed too. See the third photo.

I guess the machine shop and I did a good job of cleaning out the crud that was in the water jacket! Just a few particles of rust came out. beermugs

Now I felt confident enough to put the thermostat housing (with the thermostat) on permanently. Notice I used copper compression washers under the heads of the bolts to help prevent leaks. I also schmeared Permatex #3 under the heads and all over the copper washers.

The last photo attached to this post shows that I hooked up the carb, vacuum tank, and flexible heat tube. The carb is the same one that Lurch has been running with since 1996; a Stromberg OE-1. The original application for this carb was a 1925 or 1926 Franklin, but Lurch seems to like it. I made an adapter for its intake to accept the crankcase ventilation tube.

Cheers, Dean

Attached Files Step21a.JPGStep21b.JPGStep21c.JPGStep21d.JPGStep22.JPG
Last edited by Rustoholic; 02/08/18 04:08 AM. Reason: added some verbiage
The Filling Station 1912-28
Re: Resurrecting a '28 4 banger [Re: Rustoholic] #403524
02/14/18 08:38 PM
02/14/18 08:38 PM
San Leandro, CA
Rustoholic Offline OP
ChatMaster - 2,000
Rustoholic  Offline OP
ChatMaster - 2,000
San Leandro, CA
Racing ahead (Lurch, racing?), the radiator goes on. See Lurch grinning in the first photo. carbana

The engine compartment is pretty tight, so the water pump inlet is VERY close to the bottom radiator outlet. I went to my local car parts place and rumaged around to find an off-the-shelf radiator hose that has a 90 degree preformed bend to fill the bill. The next two photos show the installation of the lower radiator hose.

DRUM ROLL PLEASE!!!

I primed the vacuum tank with some gas and finally tried to start Lurch's engine for the first time. Yea!! But, no go. Chug,,,,,,,,,,,,,,chug,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,chug,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,no pop. curse

The starter turned the engine over really, really slowly. Putting the starter back in without completely checking it out first was a mistake.

I could smell gas getting into the cylinders, but I wasn't sure about getting a spark. Here is a video of the startup attempt: Lurch's first attempt at waking up

Okay, breath deeply, go take a nap, and drink a Diet Coke. Time to reflect and plan the next steps.

Bummed, but we shall overcome! Dean

Attached Files Step23a.JPGStep23b.JPGStep23c.JPG
Last edited by Rustoholic; 02/15/18 05:59 PM. Reason: Added verbiage and link to video
Re: Resurrecting a '28 4 banger [Re: Rustoholic] #403525
02/14/18 08:48 PM
02/14/18 08:48 PM
San Leandro, CA
Rustoholic Offline OP
ChatMaster - 2,000
Rustoholic  Offline OP
ChatMaster - 2,000
San Leandro, CA
A few days later, I ran across a posting by Chipper about how to check an engine's ignition system. Excellent information!! thanku

Here's a link to this valuable info: Chipper's instructions for checking engine ignition system

Turns out that the wire going from the coil to the distributor was not conducting. Proof positive - no spark.

Whew, one more problem licked! Next on the to do list is to fully check out the starter motor before attempting another startup.

Ever onward! Dean

Re: Resurrecting a '28 4 banger [Re: Rustoholic] #403538
02/15/18 02:02 AM
02/15/18 02:02 AM
The Great State of TEXAS
Chipper Offline

Chipper  Offline

ChatMaster - 15,000
The Great State of TEXAS
The procedure comes from 20 years of VCCA tours and trying to diagnose problems when Chevys balk at the side of the road. Between several of us we have gotten a bunch back running so they can complete the days run. Helping fellow VCCA tourists is very rewarding.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  AntiqueMechanic 

Your Status
Please register or login to post or reply. Forget Your Password?
Become a Member!

JOIN THE VCCA and get access to the member-only features of the forum, including the ability to upload photos. You'll also receive our monthly magazine "Generator & Distributor". Yearly membership as low as $25!

Helpful Links
Reset Your Password
Kill Your Cookies
Who's Online Now
4 registered members (donnyboy, ROCK31, 31chevyjg, robertst39), 3 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Member Photos
1942 Chevrolet oldies
1918 Model D-4
My Chevys
My 31' Chevy Show
What is missing?
31' headlight reflectors re-silvered at home
Newest Members
Stickdude, Achipmunk, centercut, Ilike461019, DanPryor
15121 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics49,966
Posts362,292
Members15,121
Most Online304
Jun 18th, 2016

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.