Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
ChatMaster - 2,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 2,000
I have been procrastinating replacing my hood springs. Those who have followed my 41 restoration know that a large wooden 3' dowel has been supporting my hood for several months. My past experience with hood springs is that the confined space they are in and the unpredictability of what might happen when dealing with a large spring is not for the faint of heart. While looking through the Chevs of the 40's on-line part catalog I saw they carried a tool to remove and replace hood springs. Tool Hood Spring. The tool comes with the following instruction sheet:Instruction Sheet.

Being frugal I asked a good friend with a lot of welding and fabricating experience to make me the tool. I used it to put my driver's side spring on. While I got it to work I did find it very clumsy to deal with, hard to remove with the spring in place, and I scratched my paint in a few areas. So I decided to try stretching the spring with a hydraulic floor jack, like shown in the Chevs of the 40's instructions, but placing 1/16" washers between each spring loop. When I removed the spring from the jack the spring was no longer straight but had a substantial curve to it. To remedy this I alternated how I installed the washers. I rotated what side of the spring each washer was installed on, so if I used 20 washers 10 were installed from the right side of the spring and 10 from the left. You need only enough washers to expand the spring TO about 14".

Hope this helps others deal with spring issues. If you have another way of dealing with the problem, please let us know.

Thanks, Mike

P.S. I used this method about 12 year ago but did not remove the washers for 6 months. When I went to reuse the spring it had stretched to the point it was no longer usable.

Attached Images
IMG_1685.JPG IMG_1689.JPG IMG_1691.JPG IMG_1694.JPG IMG_1695.JPG IMG_1696.JPG

Mike 41 Chevy
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
I used that method on my '57 years ago. Worked great except I had to use a pliers to pull out the washers.
Also bent spring sideways to open coils and insert washers.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
In installing the spring, I use the redneck method. That is I use a stout screwdriver (flat or phillips end, whatever, doesn't matter. I merely hang the upper end of the spring and hook the bottom end on the screwdriver shaft. Then I place the tip of the screwdriver on the bottom of the hanger and then push down on the screwdriver. When the spring gets low enough it will slip right on the hanger. Piece o' cake. Never had one fly or pop off.

While I would not recommend this method, it works well for me. After all where can the spring go but on the hedge. Not rocket science. One has to merely get over the seeming danger of stretching the stout spring. A natural fear, granted, but no real concern.

You don't need to buy no stinkin tool or make one. If you're afraid of doing it my way yourself then get the missus to do it for you whilst you cringe and hide somewhere out of reach of the sprung spring. Next county would be about right. Agrin

In any case the spring has to be stretched sufficiently to go on the hedge. Might as well grit your teeth, man up a get-er-done. beermugs

Only experence with this stupid method has been with 41 hood springs. bike

Charlie computer

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Makes sense...same as brake band spring

Old cars have always owned me.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
2 members (chevy b, Hawkeye), 54 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aristech, RalphL, tonysk
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,069
Posts429,047
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.