Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#402924 02/01/18 06:34 PM
Cruiser Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Found crack in bottom of rear side window , Did the removal instruction as 49- 54 shop manual states. Removed garnish molding, removed 4 screws, lowered window all way down tried tilting in and pulling up, doesn't want to come. Can see its lose from the channel that the screws held it. Is there something not in the manual I'm not doing? Don't want to get to rough with it cracked.. This is a sedan with the regulator style.

Last edited by Cruiser; 02/01/18 06:35 PM.

If you not the lead dog, the view never changes.
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Originally Posted by Cruiser
Don't want to get to rough with it cracked.. .

Put several rows of duct tape on both sides to hold together in case the glass does want to come apart

dick

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
On my 1950 Bel Air , there is a plate on the inside of the car near the top of the panel. It is covered by sealer and you can't see the screws. It isn't mentioned in the shop manual. Check yours, if it is there , remove it. The glass comes out easily

Cruiser Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Yes mine had tape over the access holes. I have that off and 4 screws out. The glass sash is lose from the channel,but can't seem to tilt in far enough to let the brackets the screws held on to release from the channel. The glass stays in the front window channel even when rolled down. Even though the manual says nothing I may have to take a couple screws out of that channel to see if it will help tilt the glass.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I also took the regulator out' then took the glass out. I installed the same, with the regulator installed last.

Cruiser Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
So the regulator on the left side that runs against the gears on the handle crank? and glass& track all came at the same time.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
That worked for me

Cruiser Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
OK Thanks will give that a try

Cruiser Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Got the screws out of the regulator, but because of the lip on the outside of regulator where screws attach to hole door housing . The lip keeps it from going into the compartment to come with the glass as one unit,can't see how it would unless you have take the big spring off to slip the regulator

Cruiser Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Is your BelAir a hard top mine is a 2 dr sedan there maybe a difference. Has me puzzled, can't see how the regulator can go into the door compartment with a 1/2" lip all way around the regulator

Cruiser Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Got the glass out, made my own system with new access panel worked good, thanks for help

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.