Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#402842 01/30/18 09:25 PM
brino Offline OP
ChatMaster - 750
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 750
Would the forum manager consider allowing people who are not VCCA members submit technical articles with photos? An example is my '36 Chevy PU 3.55 rear gear conversion article that was posted on this forum by a person who is a VCCA member.

Another example from the last week or so when forum members asked me for photos of 1932 Chevy motor mounts that I had fitted with new rubber at home, rather than spending $200 to have that job done as others do.

And here's an example from today when I posted that a 1935-40 Ford fuel pump diaphragm fits a 1935-36 Chevy:

"Brino, can you post or email me a picture?"

It seems ironic, not to mention unlike other forums, to have to pay to submit information useful to others.

Last edited by brino; 01/30/18 09:31 PM.
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
While I am not part of the original team that set Chatter up I believe it was setup by VCCA MEMBERS for VCCA MEMBERS, I first joined chatter as a non member and at a later date joined VCCA. I support the idea of non members not having access to all of the chatter features until VCCA membership is validated.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
brino Offline OP
ChatMaster - 750
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 750
"I support the idea of non members not having access to all of the chatter features until VCCA membership is validated."

Good morning Tony.

It is certainly understandable to want to put some tasty bait on the hook to catch paying members. I actually joined VCCA in the decade it was founded, the 1960s, and paid dues until 2009, over 40 years. It was originally a group of Southern California motorheads like Fred Upshaw, Duane Steele and others I can't remember anymore (senior moment). The camaraderie focused largely on the actual doing of restorations and, since I was starting a restoration, membership was valuable. By "doing" I mean actually rebuilding engines, transmissions, rear axles, etc, making and installing body wood, straightening body metal without bondo, painting the sheet metal, etc.

As the decades passed the car hobby became a place for wealthy people to park their money and the emphasis came off actual home restoration and he monthly magazine reflected that shift. The do-it-yourself guys who were left behind by VCCA are not going to come back because there is no longer much in membership for them.

Then this forum showed up and it has attracted some of the old school guys who aren't in the mode of paying others to do antique car related tasks, but actually do those things themselves. As I stated in my original post I've been asked for information and photos concerning home mechanic processes I've figured out like rear axle gear changes, motor mount rubber replacement and inexpensive fuel pump parts sourcing and fuel pump rebuilding. Although it wouldn't catch me, I'd bait the membership hook with that how-to information and photos to try to catch and keep some of those old school gear heads like the ones who founded VCCA.

Ray W

Last edited by brino; 01/31/18 11:30 AM.
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
There are plenty of hands on do-it-yourselfers in the VCCA and also on Chat. I have and still do nearly everything it takes to restore old Chevrolets. Not only accumulated a multitude of tools but also know how to use them.I could bellyache about paying VCCA dues yearly (which I have done for nearly 50 years) and say that the magazine didn't have enough content to keep me content. It is a fact that only occasionally is there any information that benefits my projects and that includes parts and services as well. My opinion is that the current $ 40 to help keep the club going and solvent is far better than polishing off a 12 pack of brew, or eating dinner at a restaurant or driving 100 miles to see a sunset. It and many, many hours of my time and even $$ from my bank account are my contribution to in a small way pay back the benefits I have received not only from being a VCCA member but also a proud American citizen.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I agree with Chipper and I'm only a short timer (25 years in the VCCA).

In addition to enjoying the monthly G&D magazine, I feel that being part of the online VCCA community is well worth my few dollars.

My take on uploading photos to the VCCA-supported server is that this is a benefit of being a VCCA member. VCCA members also have access to a large list of technical articles that is posted in the Members only area of the main VCCA web site and can contribute to adding to that treasure trove.

Chatter users who are not VCCA members can still post pictures in the forums, but the photo itself needs to reside elsewhere online.

All my best, Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Let me jump in and reinforce Chipper's sentiments. With respect to the many experts in VCCA I am very much a short timer (just over 10 years).

Like Chipper I consider the annual dues an outstanding investment. I am very much a do-it-yourself person to the maximum extent possible. The information from Chat and support from Cedar Valley VCCA members has more than paid of itself in many ways. Obviously it has saved me time and money. And along the way I have made new friends both in-person and virtually.

Not a bad return on such a small investment!

Rusty

VCCA #44680
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
With the constraints of living down under I have changed to the online G +D membership which I recently renewed at $36.00au instead of the $120.00 for the printed G + D that arrives here upto 6 weeks after you lot have read and thrown away.
Having spent the last 40 years working on broken motor cars I am doing most of the work at home but there are few things that I have had to get done elsewhere.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
As someone who has received a photo from Ray I appreciate his willingness to help. There are however valid reasons for restricting benefits and I think one of them is that opening the door to any and all to post could lead to lots of non wanted postings/photos. Knowing Rays long association with the VCCA would indicate how he would use that privilege. The problem as I see it is the 2-3 time poster with no history of commitment to the VCCA or perhaps the hobby. Information about a member can be checked in the data base but not so with the occasional poster. As an example I have at times listed parts for sale. When a member replies I have no problems with the transaction. Non members however very often fail to respond other the initial reply of asking for detail and I believe that is because they "stumbled" upon the site and failed to keep track of how they got here or what they replied to. Without a data base for their contact info I can not get back to them and the time and effort involved is wasted. While I am sure Rays photos would be of benefit I do not think it's worth risking opening the door to who knows what and perhaps adding to the chores of those that moderate (on a volunteer basis) the site. I don't put photos in my post (technically challenged) but have always found others willing to do that for me whenever needed.

Steve D
brino Offline OP
ChatMaster - 750
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 750
Thanks very much for explaining this guys. I previously thought that how-to information from any credible source would be interesting and useful. The reasons why that is not so deserve respect.

Ray W

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
I appreciate your understanding Ray as it is not the intention of those on the site to discourage anyone from participating but keeping control of the site is important for all.

Steve D
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Ray,
I don't think anyone does not appreciate gleaning a bit of knowledge from someone that has a real understanding and experience. I sure hope that you don't feel that we in anyway don't appreciate your contributions.

The fact is it is a balancing act to encourage people to become and stay as VCCA members to contribute knowledge and $$$$ and not tick-off others so they will not contribute at all.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.