I am presently replacing the front door window run channels on my 1934 Master (34-559) and have two questions
The ventilator rubber weatherstrip was loose in the ventilator retainer which was well rusted in the lower section. I have removed the whole ventilator, took the glass out and cleaned all the rust out of the U channel retainer. So now my question.
1. In the 1934 Fisher Body Service manual on page 24 under the heading “Front Door Ventilator and Regulator Assembly” I find the following sentence at the end of the 2nd Paragraph. “This complete weatherstrip is cemented into position in the Ventilator Retainer.”
Question;
a. What would be the recommended cement?
b. I would like to paint before cementing. Will the chosen cement lift the paint?

2. The 1934 Chevrolet Repair Manual on page 156 states in very last sentence in the left hand column under “To Remove & Replace the complete Ventilator Assembly” the following. “-----except that the door opening should be sealed with rubber cement before the ventilator is put into position.”

a. I assume they mean to put rubber cement on the under surface of the weatherstrip where it would meet with the metal surface of the door. Would that be correct?
b. To what type of rubber cement are they referring? The Wal Mart stuff that I have used for years or something different? I think the rubber cement I know would probably not react the finish door paint.

Any comment/advice would be appreciated.

Kieth