Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#402667 01/28/18 10:59 PM
ChatMaster - 2,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 2,000
When I found my 31’, the body was a complete basket case but the chassis was sitting on nicely painted wheels with brand new tires. A power wash revealed a perfectly painted chassis and axles. When I found the PO’s notes, they said basically that every thing had been checked and redone where needed on the chassis including adjusting the brakes so I left it as is. Found the same sort of notes on the motor and even spoke with two gentlemen who had helped the PO on the car. They confirmed that the chassis and motor were all set and in their words, “you’re lucky to have bought such a nice car with such excellent work already done”.
Well, I’ve had all kinds of issues with the motor like rebuilt rocker arms with no felts being installed on used shafts with the worn areas facing down, front main leaking because of the wrong shaped shim, front and rear mains shimmed way too open, and a missing oil return tube in the pushrod area. Now the motor has a knock and I will be pulling it soon and replacing it with a great running motor I bought a while back. That job is last on the list.
What was next up on my list was my “perfectly” done chassis had bad king pins. Of course when I first got the car on the road I had a clunk in the rear. Turns out the PO installed “perfectly used” key ways that were all rounded yet the slots on the axles and hubs were in almost new condition. Why? Is all on can ask. So yesterday I installed a set of FS king pins and took it for a ride when I was done. I didn’t realize that these old chevys aren’t supposed to weave and shimmy all over the place! It’s like a brand new car now going down the road straight with no wandering and even hands free. I guess this means driving it will no longer be a white knuckle adventure. So while it’s going nicely down the road, I can see I’ve got gas in my tank because I can take my eyes of the road and look at my finally working gauge.
So my advice to anyone is to not believe people you don’t know, even if they sound knowledgeable, and everyone has a different opinion of what “perfectly” restored is. Two down, two more on the list.

Chistech #402680 01/29/18 09:26 AM
ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
I just installed the welsh plugs in my newly assembled (one side) knuckle assemblies. King pins were fine as I did them when I first got the car 18 years ago. Just took apart to clean and paint before installing on the stripped chassis which has been blasted and painted. It's a good feeling putting things back together rather than taking apart. Now on to the other side.

Steve D
Chistech #402794 01/30/18 02:04 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I did king pins first thing this fall. I'm anxious to drive it this spring when I finally get it all back together from its current project.

Don't let a day go by that you don't attempt to learn something new.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
1 members (ScottCrawford), 63 guests, and 23 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman, JEC51
18,307 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aristech, RalphL, tonysk
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,069
Posts429,046
Members18,307
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.