Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#402407 01/25/18 03:38 PM
VCCA Member Services
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
VCCA Member Services
Backyard Mechanic
(Posting for someone -Webmaster)

I have a pair of wooden spoke Chevrolet wheels that have been passed down to me from my Great Grandfather. I was hoping someone could give me a little info on them as to what year they are from.

This is what i have (2wheels). Looking for any info you may have. Looks like they may have been black with red striping?

Not sure if i want to repaint or keep original. Ideas?

My goal is to have rubber on them just for display. My dad "gave" me one when i was a kid and he had the other. They always stayed in the attic. He got them from his grandpa who used to own a auto repair garage

Thank you very much,
Keith Holtzmann

Attached Images
unnamed.jpg unnamed-1.jpg
Last edited by Peter_Gariepy; 01/25/18 03:39 PM.

VCCA Member Services Manager
http://vcca.org
memberservices@vcca.org
708-455-8222
Join VCCA For Technical Help

VCCA members have access to a list of over 50 Technical Advisors who can help you with your car. It's worth the price of membership! While you can get a lot of information for free in this forum, sometimes the info that you REALLY need is only available from the right person. This is what "The World's Best Chevrolet Club" is all about!

JOIN THE VCCA TODAY!

VCCA Member Services
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
VCCA Member Services
Backyard Mechanic
More photos

Attached Images
unnamed-2.jpg unnamed-3.jpg unnamed-4.jpg unnamed-5.jpg unnamed-6.jpg

VCCA Member Services Manager
http://vcca.org
memberservices@vcca.org
708-455-8222
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
From the photos they look like a front and a back 26/27 wheel to me, but the rim looks to be for a 28 wheel. Is the felloe (the steel spoke retaining band the rim is mounted on) the same width as the base of the rim? If so they are 1928 wheels: if the felloe is 1/2 inch narrower than the rim they are 1926/1927 wheels, and the rim is for a 1928 wheel.

Normally a 1928 front wheel will have a brake drum mounted on the inside of the wheel hub, which is held in place by the hub nuts, but the 26/27 front wheels do not have front wheel brakes, so there is only a narrow steel clamping ring for the hub nuts to bear on. As a further check the width of the felloe where the rim mounts should be about 2 1/4 inches for the 26/27 wheels, but this can vary a bit with the condition of the wheel. The 1928 felloe will be about 1/2 inch wider.

Frank.

Last edited by franco; 01/25/18 09:04 PM. Reason: Additional information
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Hello Peter,

Those are called clincher rims, and take a special tire. They were used in the early 20s. Someone might have a couple of old tires and tubes that may hold air.

I have a couple of old wood '26, or '27 spoked wheels with rims that are in no way to be trusted on a car. My thought was to make an out door bench out of them by using an old straight axle. A couple of 4' 4x4s bolted to the spring pads should be a good base. If it ends up too low I could take the spindles off and weld them to a piece of 1-1/2" or 2" pipe. The tail end of the seat would angle back toward the ground so as to not let the assembly tip over backwards when you leaned against the seat back. It could be easily "wheeled" around wherever you needed a bench.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.