Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#197512 02/08/11 10:13 PM
bullpup Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hi All,

I went to the annual Tri-State auto swap meet in Denver this past weekend and found a New Old Stock AC fuel pump in the box. This is a mechanical fuel pump with the attached glass filter bowl and it even includes an additional AC marked glass bowl.
However, I am not sure of the application and research on the internet has not turned up much, so I thought someone might be able to help as to the correct application(s).
I think the correct part number is embossed on the bottom of the pump... AC 855228
The top of the metal flange that secures the glass bowl is embossed... 1521898
There is also a casting mark... MODEL B

Thanks in advance for your help. This is not in my 1929 - 1957 Chevrolet Master Parts Catalog.

By the way, the swap meet, as always, was chock full of wonderful parts, accessories and cars. This is always my favorite meet in the Denver area... and my brother found a 50 dollar bill blown up against a fence while walking back to the car. Now how cool is that?

Bullpup

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
International Model B Tractor according to something seen on the internet??

have a nice day
bullpup Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hi lucky1,

I saw that on the internet, as well, but the listing wasn't very clear as to whether this is the correct application.
I did e-mail AC Delco, but don't have much hope that they will respond. My experience contacting large corporations with this kind of request hasn't been very good.

Anyway, thanks for looking!
Maybe someone else out there has some further info?

Regards,
Bullpup

Last edited by bullpup; 02/09/11 01:59 PM. Reason: incorrect signature
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Look for a number punched into the edge of the pump base. (the part that bolts to the block) If you find a number there, it will be easier to track down than the casting numbers.
I have owned and been around a number of B "Farmall" tractors and none of them had a fuel pump or a place for a fuel pump.

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Many miles of happy motoring
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
855228 is the casting number and the part number for the "fuel pump lower cover" for '29-'33 Chevy (Group number 3.910, 1941 Master Parts Catalog, I.D. number index 1951 Master Parts Catalog)

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Many miles of happy motoring
bullpup Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hi Mike,

I looked and there is no number(s) on the pump base edge or flat.
Unfortunately, the original box only has part of the AC label on it and, of course, the portion that is missing had the part number on it.
Someone had marked the box with the number 503, but I doubt that means anything.
Besides the casting numbers mentioned above, the only other number is stamped on one of the flats where the two pump castings are bolted together. This number is 1394.

Regards,
Bullpup

bullpup Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hi Mike...

Once again, thanks for the info about the casting/part number 855228. That number is on the lower cover of the fuel pump.
Does this particularly indicate that this fuel pump is for a 1929 - 1933 Chevrolet or was this lower cover used on a large variety of pumps for different applications and years?

I thought this would be an easy look up!

Thanks again,
Bullpup

Last edited by bullpup; 02/09/11 11:41 PM. Reason: adding signature

Paul's '41 Chevy Web Site
http://1941chevrolet.com/
Dedicated to Classic Car Enthusiasts Worldwide
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Hi bullpup
The identification number for most fuel pumps is located on the side or edge of the mounting flange or on a flat area above the mounting flange. This can be the actual AC full number on older pumps or the last 4 digits of the number. In the fuel pump catalogs, there is a cross reference to change the OEM number to the AC number which is usually the same but not all the time. The numbef 530 marked on the box could possibly be the actual AC part number. Be aware that a lot of fuel pumps look the same but there are differences in the actuator arm, position of the top housing compared to the mounting housing and the the location of the inlets and outlets. I will place a picture in the Members Photos of an NOS fuel pump I rebuild that fits 32-33 and will fit 29-31 but has the air dome on the outlet side. This picture will show where the number is stamped on this fuel pump. Hope this helps. Bob@marxparts

bullpup Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the photo of your rebuilt AC pump. Mine is very similar in design, but the glass fuel bowl/inlet is on the opposite side of yours. Also, the mounting boss looks different, so I guess that means this AC pump doesn't belong to 1929 - 1933 Chevrolet.
Here is a link to some photos of this AC pump...
http://paulsroom.com/BlueHost/acpump.jpg

Regards,
Bullpup

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
The link to photo shows a fuel pump for some unknown application. It is not Chevrolet. Since the number 1349 is stamped maybe it is listed somewhere.

I noticed some cracking on the top which indicates that the casting is starting to deteriorate.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
bullpup Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thanks for the info, Chipper.

I am still curious as to what the application is for this old pump. Didn't think it would be this difficult to find out.
I was hoping it would fit a GM vehicle, but maybe not....

Regards,
Bullpup

bullpup Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hi All,

Thanks to Lisa at Then And Now Automotive, I've got an answer as to the correct application for this old AC fuel pump.

This fits 1933-43 International Harvester F-12 tractors, P-12 power units, I-12, O-12, and W-12 tractors.
The pump arm is distinctive, as it doesn't extend past the mounting surface. Apparently, it is the arm which AC used with engines operating the pump with a push rod to connect it to the camshaft lobe.

Anyway, thanks for all your help in researching this vintage AC fuel pump!
Regards,
Bullpup

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Hi Bullpup
I finally got into my fuel pump book and Lisa is correct in what she told you. This fuel pump also fits some 1930s International trucks from what my 1950 AC Fuel Pump books says. The actual AC fuel pump number is 503.

Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
I just listed the same fuel pump on ebay today. Like yours mine is new also. It has the number 855228 embossed on the top as well as Model B. The number 1521898 is on the top near the glass bowl. There is also the number 4394 stamped on it. I was able to find a reference for the 855228 number in a 1942 Hygrade catalog for fuel pump repair kits that lead to 1929-33 Chevrolet. I did a search on Google and found someone selling the same fuel pump on eBay that was removed from a 1931 chevy. Check eBay for my photos and listing. My eBay ID is underthehood07005.
JohnP

F12 Offline
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
Reply to an old post… The AC fuel pump with number 1521898 on the top and bottom cover also fits International Harvester F12 Tractors. The bottom cover, with part number 855228 fits multiple vehicles, including Chevrolet 1929-30-31-32-33. You can see a good break down of AC pumps at:
restorecarsclassifieds.com/wiki/show_pdf.pdf?n=6598
http://restorecarsclassifieds.com/wiki/show_pdf.pdf?n=6599
FarmallF12

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.