Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
roara Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
A few days ago just got my G&D Dec. issue and love that 1933 Chevy Town Sedan on the front cover with the chrome wire wheels, wide meats and a beautiful 2 tone black and pearl burgundy paint! I could not wait to find out what was under that hood! They did a great write up on that car but they did not put in the drivetrain it is running. I was looking for a Hemi possible a Ford and maybe even a Chevy drive train! At first had thought maybe you purist were changing with times 2017 almost 2018 again just a thought!
Rory

Join VCCA For Technical Help

VCCA members have access to a list of over 50 Technical Advisors who can help you with your car. It's worth the price of membership! While you can get a lot of information for free in this forum, sometimes the info that you REALLY need is only available from the right person. This is what "The World's Best Chevrolet Club" is all about!

JOIN THE VCCA TODAY!

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
In the words of Winston Churchill " Never give in-Never-Never Never." I do think the car is nice though.

Steve D
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
My toughts are the car was more modified than they wanted you to know and it probably had a small block, etc.
Years back a car with just the "wheels" would never had made the cover.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by Chev Nut
My toughts are the car was more modified than they wanted you to know and it probably had a small block, etc.
Years back a car with just the "wheels" would never had made the cover.

Sacrifice what the VCCA was built upon, just increase the membership.

1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 door sedan / purchased from second owner 6-19-2000.
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000

And.......even though the VCCA sacrificed their mission statement concerning "Preservation and Restoration", the number of VCCA members still seems to be dropping.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by Junkyard Dog

And.......even though the VCCA sacrificed their mission statement concerning "Preservation and Restoration", the number of VCCA members still seems to be dropping.

laugh wink beer2

Sad.

1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 door sedan / purchased from second owner 6-19-2000.
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
I left the VCCA once before. Now I am seeing more and more people yammering about mods, customs and personalization I have to again rethink why I re-joined the VCCA. I am NOT interested in mods and customs. I am interested in originals and original style restorations. Maybe those like minded as me are searching elsewhere for a home which I may consider again if customs and personalized becomes more prolific. What good is it to me trying to rebuild a 1929 if the people I am trying to find out information from have stuck a 454 in one and can only relate their issues doing so? I believe a reduced membership is a fact with or without customs. So get back to preservation and really encourage those who have that ideal at heart.

Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000

cabboy, PLEASE, send your entry to the President. He needs to know how many of us feel. I wrote the President a message about the cover car and he took the time to answer my email with a long and reasonable answer. Anyone else with strong feelings I encourage you to write the President. Silence does not help.

Agrin devil

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Hey Ray, if the person is a responsible president I would expect they would read these posts to stay in the know. Sounds like maybe they gave you a "reasonable answer" to reinforce their own conviction. Could be me just reading between the lines? Since re-joining I have heard of several changes and members forced out?? that makes me question where VCCA is going. If you wish feel free to advise them of my posts and if they are truely interested they will read. I am not here to change people minds but to restore and preserve the Chevrolets I have. I would like to help others do the same. Come next executive elections I will be looking for the people with preservation in mind and not those who think catering to the others who already have too many clubs to choose from will fill the coffers. I am grateful that you (and others I have seen on the forum) have a similar conviction.
Best regards.
Further to this I sent a note to the president. If there is a movement back to preservation I will be interested in supporting it.

Last edited by cabboy; 12/16/17 07:01 PM. Reason: Update
ChatMaster - 4,000
Online Content
ChatMaster - 4,000
Thanks for the great discussion on this topic. It focuses on a key issue we as members of the VCCA must address.

I will be the first to admit that I am in quite a quandary over which way to go. This is one of those cases where I can argue both sides of the argument and still lose!

We have to accept the realities of what I call "generational transition". It happens with any organization with a focus on the past. It is very difficult for such an organization to remain strong and viable after about 2 generations. The great memories and pleasure that motivated the originating members are no longer recognized or have value to the younger generation. The fathers and mothers who have those direct memories can pass them along to their children. It is extremely difficult for those memories to make it to the next generation.

I am pretty much an anomaly as a VCCA member for many reasons. I was past my mid 50's before I joined. In fact it was pretty much an impulse purchase that led me to VCCA. The other key point is that I am by no means a Chevy fanatic. Last weekend I worked on 4 radically different vehicles in my hobby shop: 1981 Toyota Celica Supra, 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 1949 Chevy 3100 pickup, and 2006 VW New Beetle Convertible.

So here are key topics we need to debate.
1) We have large gap in that somehow the VCCA is not attracting those who are focused on the newer Chevy's that qualify for VCCA status. For example, when was the last time we saw a post about a 1991 Camaro?
2) There are huge generational differences between us as the greatest generation and baby boomers compared to GenX and Millennials. They have interests and support causes but tend to not be "joiners".
3) None of us are getting any younger and unfortunately there are fewer of us every day. Our current membership pool is decliing

My concern is that as much as we would like to be a preservationist organization we will definitely will not thrive and possibly barely survive if we take that direction.

Thanks for letting me share my thoughts. There are no "silver bullets" that will get us through this. I only request that we debate this openly, civilly, and with respect.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Rusty, I completely agree with everything you said.

For an organization to thrive and move into the future, it has to grow the base of its support.

I suspect we need to answer this basic question: Why should younger folks care about preserving original classic cars?

Consider the following thoughts:
  • The younger generation does not have any memories attached to these vehicles, unless Grandpa gave them rides.
  • Chances are, their parents have been working in offices and therefore the kids don't have a connection to mechanical skills putting food on the table.
  • If the parents do not tinker with cars as a hobby, that removes the kids another step away from having a connection to the old cars.
  • If the parents did tinker with cars in the last few decades, chances are it was with hot rods. This would give the kids a connection to cars, but not our old originals.

I don't think there is an easy, silver bullet for this problem.

I suspect we need to have a PR campaign that educates and excites the public about our great cars and trucks.

Show them at venues other than VCCA events. AND, hand out G&D magazines and flyers at these events.

Make sure that our tours INCLUDE a general show that is advertised and open to the public.

Publicize regional meetings in community calendars and make sure that a few classic cars show up to the meetings.

Griping about how today's culture isn't what it used to be will not help the club survive. IMHO, the only way to move forward is to inject/create wonderful memories associated with our vehicles INTO today's culture.

I'm not sure how we do that, but there have got to be multiple solutions, not one silver bullet. Here's a thread I started to capture such ideas: Brainstorming ideas for growing the VCCA

Cheers, Dean

Last edited by Rustoholic; 12/19/17 02:37 PM.

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
We draw very few younger members bcause the average VCCA member is over 65 years old and the young guys associate with other young people that tends to collect cars that appeal to them.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I agree with you Gene. I joined the VCCA in June 1961. I was 26 years old. There were only about 5 or 6 members older when I started the Miami Valley Region. I will say there are a few children of the original members keeping the Region going but it is smaller than in the glory days.

There were days when a Central Meet had around 150 vehicles. You do not see than any more. One thing that is growing is the tours. I think every one fills every year. You need to get your registration in early to get in.

See you Touring the Back Roads

Joined VCCA June 1, 1961
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Gene said:
...the average VCCA member is over 65 years old...

Exactly. My challenge to you 65+ year old folks to get out of your comfort zone and get young people excited about our hobby and our passions.

If you only run with your usual crowd, nothing will change for the future and the VCCA will continue to decline.

Each person makes a difference. Hopefully, we are up for the challenge.

Best regards, Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
I, too, noticed that the G&D 33 write-up didn't mention the drive-train.

I think this statement will surface how I feel about modifiers, hot-rods, et al: The definition of a nano-second is how long it takes me to look at one of those butchered and screwed up vehicles. (this is no disrespect to the workmanship or the sincerity of the folks engaged in making these modifications. Those factors are outstanding).

The worst thing is that some of the owners has the audacity of licensing it as the year of whatever is left of the original body and then lend furtherance to the lie by saying to an onlooker that it is a 33, etc. The club is going to hell in a hand-basket. I'd rather pay twice as much in dues and keep it as originally intended. That article is the last straw and would have been more appropriate in a hot-rod magazine. I pray the Lord calls me soon. I can't stand much more of this kind of capitulation to stupidity. Just my two cents worth.

Charlie computer

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Originally Posted by 41specialdeluxe
I'd rather pay twice as much in dues and keep it as originally intended. That article is the last straw and would have been more appropriate in a hot-rod magazine. I can't stand much more of this kind of capitulation to stupidity. Just my two cents worth.

Charlie computer
Original and preserved. There are many hot rod and custom sites and this club will not compete. I agree higher dues would be more acceptable then butcher cars and lost history. Every attempt should be made to assist everyone in restorations even if the car is a lowly non descript coach or sedan. Everyone is historically important. Cudos to all the young people I have seen recently take up the restoration bug and commendations to those that help them with out making them feel little or unknowledgeable.

Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
Hi guys, I can see there is some concern about the cover of the December issue of the G & D. If you would like to have a one on one discussion regarding the special circumstances that were involved in producing this particular issue, please email me at jgebhardt@fdsvs.com or call me on my cell at 770 634 0855. It's true I am not very active on Chat given everything else I'm into with the club, foundation and work. But I think I can help ease your mind about the cover. thanks,

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
While I am not concerned regarding the December issue cover I do think it would be best addressed in the members section on chat or a subsequent G&D issue and not a "one on one".

Steve D
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by m006840
While I am not concerned regarding the December issue cover I do think it would be best addressed in the members section on chat or a subsequent G&D issue and not a "one on one".

Steve, I agree with your comments here.

This conversation should continue in the "members section", for all members to read ..... and comment on, if needed.

I can not comment on the December issue, for I have not yet received it.

Peter is mailing me a "replacement copy".

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
In regards to younger folks joining VCCA, I am sure there are some that would appreciate the preservation of stock vehicles, however a large percentage of millenials have....

1. 30K plus of college debt to pay off
2 are having children.
3 are or would like to be in their own home with a reasonable mortgage.

The facts are that this group does not have the disposable income to afford this hobby.

Just my 2 cents...

"Take a stand and make a mark" Gilbert Kent
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
As a nearly 50 year member that joined when I was just barely 26 years old I can attest that conditions have not changed dramatically in the intervening years. I could only purchase my '31 Chevrolet because I had finally paid my college debts and received a cash award from my employer. Yes I could have bought a new sofa or TV to replace the 10-20 year old models but I opted for the old Chevy instead. The kids didn't have designer jeans or autographed sneakers but did have good serviceable clothing. I drove used cars that cost a fraction of new ones.

I was the only member of my region that was less than 30 years old. Most were in their 40s & 50s and several much older.

Nuff said for now. Might add other comments if the thread is either moved to VCCA only member forum or a separate thread is started.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Might add other comments if the thread is either moved to VCCA only member forum or a separate thread is started.

I agree. This thread should be moved to the VCCA members only forum and also it should be a VCCA community discussion instead of a one-on-one discussion as mentioned previously.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by Junkyard Dog
Might add other comments if the thread is either moved to VCCA only member forum or a separate thread is started.

I agree. This thread should be moved to the VCCA members only forum and also it should be a VCCA community discussion instead of a one-on-one discussion as mentioned previously.

laugh wink beer2

iagree

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Here is my two cents everyone knows I am 29 I joined VCCA when I was 15 1/2 that's because all my vacations where either with my parents or grandparents to Central meets and anniversary meets always was at region meetings I am now the director of the Glass Capitol region and was director of lower Michigan region a few years ago. I feel everyone has this idea you have to get people my age in the club yes we should not we need to focus on getting the ones in their 40's 50's interested in more. They are the ones that have more time to do the events. I have only missed 3 Central meets since I was born so I always go to a Central meet now this year it is harder for me for vacation since it is a week long then I take a week for Hershey you see the problem here most of my vacation time is taken up I am lucky and my boss let's me take more that off but most people do not have that luxury. I really want to go to the middle West meet but that's another week long and same with the 6cyl tour. If you want to try to attract younger members we need to make stuff more family friendly. We hosted the Central meet last year (2016) didn't have it start until Thursday judging and banquet was on Saturday the tour on Friday we did this so we could try to attract those that still work obviously it didn't help us with the anniversary meet that year, but my point is you can have these meets appeal to younger people. Also don't give someone that shows up in a 1993 cavalier a hard time about"that's not a classic or collector car" I have heard that so much that it has made me not want to associate with car people as that person is probably as proud as can be because they have their 25 year old antique car. Once they get the taste and start being around the older cars (teens 20's 30's) some will be like I want one. I am one of those and anyone will agree I have went crazy and bought a 1917 490 roadster and a 1915 baby grand in the past year my other cars I have bought are my 72 Monte Carlo and 70 Impala conv. And 2006 GTO when Grandpa passed away I was given some rest too my parents but you see after being around the cars and hate to say it when dad bought a model T is what got me into wanting an early Chevy. Also we need to continue on helping each other out. My 490 is a perfect restored car so haven't needed any help there but this baby grand I pulled it out of a basement it had been sitting in for over 50 years. If it was not for Ray Moot and his open door policy I would be struggling figuring things out but I am catching myself calling, emailing, texting him almost 2-3 times a week we all need to be like this for anyone. Also when your at these meets try to bring those cars out I plan on having my Baby Grand at the Central meet and plan on driving it on the tours yes I know how it is to have a trailer queen we have a couple but when people can see the smile on your face and you are enjoying driving that car on a tour doing only 25mph or what ever speed you are doing they will get the bug. When you are at cruise nights locally let kids jump in and take a picture explain to them where it is okay to touch to get in but they will remember that for a life time I remember when I was about 10 years old sitting in Pinky's light six I have the biggest smile in the world in the picture!! There is enough younger people interested in original cars that it will always be there I am seeing more of it in the Model T world as it is a lot cheaper to buy one and maintain one compared to a Chevy that a lot more younger people are buying them and or getting them from a family member. Also if I want to see personalized cars I would join another group my feeling is this hole personalized thing has divided this group and needs to go. There is no place for personalized and modified cars those cars on the judging feild when we have a mission statement that we have. If we want to continue to let these cars on the field and in the G&D we need to change the mission statement might as well change the name of the club to. If it continues to go this way I will drop out sooner or later I will just enjoy my original Chevrolets and keep my money instead of giving it to a group that doesn't even care about keeping it for what it was started for. I can keep going on my opinions and what from my eyes we should strive to do sorry I jump around on my thoughts hard for me to simply stay on just one

Last edited by 63novaandy; 12/22/17 10:49 AM.

33yr member/3rd generation member
Andy Jurski #42092
Family collection:
26 collector cars:
20 Chevrolet's
2 Ford
1 Oldsmobile
3 Pontiac's

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I think many of you know I split my time between Classic Chevy and Cadillac. Ive always been a “purest” BUT do appreciate and understand and admire and like and sometimes envy the amazing work done on restomods and how they look stock and become daily drivers.
What I have a hard time with is anybody telling anybody else that they are wrong for what they are doing with their car. Any if these alternatives are far better than a car going into a crusher or rotting into the ground. Both here and in the Cadillac club some members want to drive anyone other than a purest away and to another club. Thats a sure way to divide the hobby.

So how about something the Cadillac Club did.....welcome the restomodders and hot rodders with open arms by setting up a new CHAPTER of the VCCA specifically for them? Run a feature article on thise cars in every G&D and give them a cover article once per yeat. Have a new judging class at all VCCA sanctioned meets just for them and offer workshops on special conversion topics too. Why force these quality members with amazing skills and desication elsewhere instead of embracing their talents and spirit of community?

Sorry to rant, but driving division instead of inclusion is a sure path to a clubs demise. The only thing constant in life is change and thise that hise from it will be run over by it. Lets start 2018 by inviting ALL Chevy owners to join this group of merry men and woman traditionally focused on preservation.

Stepping off soap box now and wishing ALL a Merry Christmas and safe Happy Chevy New Yar!!

Jeff

SEARCHING FOR GOOD QUALITY 1933 CHEVROLET MASTER ORIGINAL TRICO MIRRORS FOR SIDEMOUNTS. ALL LEADS APPRECIATED.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
6 members (WildernessTruck, J Franklin, Hawkeye, minetto, conv48, 1 invisible), 69 guests, and 22 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aristech, RalphL, tonysk
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,071
Posts429,057
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.