Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
ChatMaster - 1,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,000
I wonder if we could have a new thread under Technical for personalized vehicle questions, where questions could be answered on technical stuff like transmission swaps, etc. that would not generally be germane to stock stuff.

Just wondering..

Rick

"Never time to do it right the first time, but always time to do it over."
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Hi Rick,

I had a similar suggestion, but nobody responded.

Chatter Suggestions

Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
So, this is interesting. I actually have another request in my in-box asking for a new, different forum.

I actually like both ideas because they will help keep these "specific" topics from polluting other forums. We made a lot of success over the past years in getting people to post similar topics in appropriate forums.

Check back here tomorrow. I'll explain my additional rationale and might even have working models that you can test drive.

Thanks for the POSITIVE (and constructive) input.

Bill Barker
Previous VCCA CHAT Administrator
(VCCA Member: 9802)
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
See if THIS meets your needs.

A new forum to discuss use of mixed years of parts and non-standard parts.

Bill Barker
Previous VCCA CHAT Administrator
(VCCA Member: 9802)
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I think it works. I have a Chevrolet "toy" that I have tried many modifications on. Some posters have been turned away to other sites when there are many here who can help. Who knows, we may be able to convince some to leave what's best alone.

By the way, great to have you back Bill! You're the reason I'm here and a member of the VCCA. Maybe we can meet at the upcoming National meet in Bowling Green.

ChatMaster - 1,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,000
You've done it again, Bill!!

Great thread. Thank you!! yay

Rick

ChatMaster - 1,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,000
Dean and Oldiron,
Check out Bill's new personalized thread. it works!!

Rick

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
yay

Looks good!

Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Holy Moly! Awesome! What next? My 30's car on the cover of G&D with radials or dual carbs??? Who'd a thunk? I have spent countless hours making subtle mods (some for safety, some to just be different, some for a little performance). All of which are not only understated but downright taboo here. I think this will bring in new blood. All good and for the sake of keeping this hobby alive. I've always preached to the family young ones, "cars, not bars."

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Personalized Chevrolets have been accepted to some degree for many years. The hope that it would increase the membership has not panned out. Yes there might be a few new members that only have personalized vehicles but the core of VCCA remains "as delivered to the original owner with factory approved accessories". Preservation of history is still the main purpose of the VCCA.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
I think this will bring in new blood

Actually, as Chipper says, the move to personalized cars in the club has not helped the VCCA membership. As a matter of fact, it is my understanding that the VCCA membership has actually dropped in numbers since the move to personalized cars.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
Preservation is in my opinion more at risk now than it ever has been. Just go to Ebay or other car market venue and view the cars being listed. Probably 90 percent or more are modified and there is a good chance that the few original ones will soon be.

Steve D
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
The 90% modified has been the "norm" for us in Texas for several decades. There are some more that are modified each year. However there are others that are "un-modified" as well. Think the trend is toward modification but is not a "tidal wave". While there are some modified vehicles in museums the vast majority are basically "original".

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
A very important word that should be KEY when modifying a historical auto:

SUBTLE.

adjective
(especially of a change or distinction) so delicate or precise as to be difficult to analyze, notice, or describe.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by m006840
Preservation is in my opinion more at risk now than it ever has been. Just go to Ebay or other car market venue and view the cars being listed. Probably 90 percent or more are modified and there is a good chance that the few original ones will soon be.

As we know Steve, they are only original once. dance

1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 door sedan / purchased from second owner 6-19-2000.
ChatMaster - 1,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,000
Good point Bob.
"Original" is one of the most misused words int the old car hobby.

Rick

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000

And the other most misused word in the old car hobby is "restored".

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by Junkyard Dog

And the other most misused word in the old car hobby is "restored".

laugh wink beer2

Yes, "original", then "restored" ..... and let us not forget "rare".

1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 door sedan / purchased from second owner 6-19-2000.
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
one of a kind ? hood

p.k.

1956 BEL AIR 2 DOOR HARDTOP

I've spent most of my money on Booze,Women and mechanical things. The rest I just Wasted........

Remember , I'm not Always Right. But I'm Never Wrong !
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Originally Posted by Junkyard Dog
I think this will bring in new blood

Actually, as Chipper says, the move to personalized cars in the club has not helped the VCCA membership. As a matter of fact, it is my understanding that the VCCA membership has actually dropped in numbers since the move to personalized cars.

laugh wink beer2
I would believe this. I wouldn't join a custom car club as I am interested in originality and preservation. So why would anyone who wishes to customize want to join a club dedicated to preservation? You know a car with modifications and accessories available at the time of original purchase is great and of interest. A 1920s or 30s car with 2017 parts tacked on, not so much. I let my membership lapse some years ago and recently re-joined but this issue may make me let it lapse again.

Last edited by cabboy; 12/17/17 09:26 AM. Reason: Typo
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
It's indeed a tricky topic with a lot of grey. I prefer original myself but it is possible that someone may be "saving" an old car from the wreckers that someone has already stripped the drive-train from and may need assistance saving and restoring what is left based on their budget, parts and personal ability. They still need help and could eventually become an expert helping others on the parts of their car that are original.

This category could also cover things like hidden sound systems, hidden brake upgrades, brighter bulbs, hidden electric fuel pumps, better fuel filters, signal lights, gearing changes and seatbelts for safety.
These modifications are pretty regular and accepted loosely already as the focus is still to keep the core car "mostly" original.

People also like sharing and reading about reversible personalization - electronic ignition, dual carbs/exhaust, incorrect year options and aftermarket wheels and radial tires.

What I don't like is someone buying a pristine car and then cutting and hacking into a rod. This makes me sad. I'm a bit more comfortable with taking a tired old car and refreshing/rodding it as you save it but would still rather see original. In any case rodding, modding and customizing does interest many people who also own other virgin cars so there is overlap. It also does provide valuable parts for us that are restoring.

Forum overlap can also lead rodders/modders into restoration. This is exactly what happened to me as this forum made me aware there was help, resources, parts and support available and helped me appreciate the rarity of my car. My car was disassembled when I got it and until I discovered this forum, I had visions of a small block with nasty cam, 4 speed and open rear end. This forum saved my car and others as I've connected with people.

As for registration dropping, it's demographics. It's not the club, it's all clubs except maybe iphone users groups. In Canada and the USA, nearly 1/3 of the population is a Baby Boomer. Sadly in the next 25 years or so, this third of the population will be gone and the population of both countries will be much smaller. We are at the beginning of this cycle with friends selling off cars, downsizing, moving to retirement homes, getting ill, getting body parts replaced and generally getting to the point where old cars and clubs are taking a distant backseat...

1938 Canadian Pontiac Business Coupe (aka a 1938 Chevy Coupe with Pontiac shaped front sheet metal - almost all Chevy!)
1975 4-speed L82 Vette
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
When I got my 37 it was missing parts,there were none in the local junkyards so I used what I could find to get it on the road along with alot of new reproduction parts. I done it in the precomputer days and it would probably still be in the garage in many pieces if I waited to find only correct 37 parts,since then it has been changed again so I could drive it at highway speeds if I needed to and better brakes.

VCCA #45194
ChatMaster - 1,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,000
You make several good points--particularly the one on demographics. I see that locally too as I joined a local cruiser club. A quick look around at the last cruise showed about 90% street rods and modifieds.

I am constantly asked when showing my pretty much bone stock 51 coupe "...how come you didn't drop in a 350?" As my friend Bob Adler often said, nothing wrong with how it came from the factory (and the 235 has lots of power and torque). That said, each to his own.

Rick

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
As to "subrle" let me see. In my opinion subtle is the following:

a. Radials instead of bias ply,

b. 10w-30 engine oil

c. 235 babbit engine ( pre 1954)

e. Different ratio differential (3:55 etc)

f. Modern coolant

g. Radios converted to play FM

h. "Shark Teeth" rims on a 41

i. Non-accessory tailpipe tip

j. Non-accessory antenna

Everything else I can think of right now is personalized, modified, rodded, Rat-rodded, "Californiaed", whatever.

And, make no mistake, the addition of a "Fulton" is not only personalized but downright "upchuckery." Is too! Take that, Bob. Agrin Actually, Bob the nice ones on the 49-54 did look okay.

Questions:

a. Why this Forum? Appeasment?

b. How many of you push the PSI needle back into the gauge/gage when still in the process of airing up a tire and checking the PSI reading? I'd say that all of us do it but why? (When you're done (PSI is where you want it) is not the question at that point it then makes good sense.)

c. How many of you think your car rides and runs better after an oil and lube job?

d. How many of you pump in high-test but then buy the cheapest stinkin' battery you can find within 50 mles?

Charlie computer

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Hello Charlie,

I must admit I believe you truly put the ole brain into a "thinking mode" when you reply to comments on the VCCA forum. dance

I have two '51's both with your favorite accessory ..... the dreaded visor.

I must say I like the appearance of the Pontiac visor much more than the standard issue Chevy visor.

My black '51 has the Pontiac visor, while my blue '51 has the CHEVY visor..

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.