Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Glarson Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Got a barn find 1935 Master Deluxe.. it has the correct generator. but the harness was not connected. The harness has 3 wires. one goes to the light switch. I assume this goes to the stand alone "power" post on the generator. The Circuit breaker has one line that goes into the generator and one line that goes to a resistor or capacitor. The wiring diagrams I have viewed indicate that the line that goes to the resistor/capacitor would go to the ammeter. I have tired this and other combinations. the only reading i get on the ammeter is a loss of power. Then i am left with one last question, where does the 3rd line go? it appears that it is a direct line to the battery. I am trying to figure out how to insert a photo of what I have if it helps.

Regards,
Glen

Become a Member!

JOIN THE VCCA and get access to the member-only features of the forum, including the ability to upload photos. You'll also receive our monthly magazine "Generator & Distributor". Yearly membership as low as $25!

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
The generator wire goes to the "GEN" terminal on the cutout. The "BATT" terminal on the cutout goes to the back of the ammeter. The "FIELD" terminal on the generator goes to the resistor on the back of the light switch. See link below:

http://www.auto-wiring-diagram.com/...r-de-luxe-standard-and-truck-models.html

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
Glarson Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
This is how I had it wired the first time, but it was showing negative read on the ammeter increasing in the negativity with RPM and appeared to be discharging the battery as the lights would dim slightly. someone had mentioned polarizing the generator, But if its polarized wrong how do i unpolarize and repolarize?

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
With all of the wires attached correctly, and the ignition off, using a jumper wire connect one end to the "GEN" terminal on the cutout and then just touch the other end of the jumper wire to the "BATT" terminal on the cutout. You should get a spark. Once you get a spark the generator is polarized.

Also, make sure that you have the generator wire connected to the correct terminal on the back of the ammeter. If you have it on the wrong terminal, the ammeter will read just the opposite that it should.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

Glarson Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thank you for the response... i have a concern that someone may have at some point installed a battery and mistakenly made it positive ground. The car is in my shop which unfortunately is a 12 hour drive from Miami. I have a clear memory of charging the battery and clipping the Red to the frame. if that is the case im surprised it ran. I did install a new coil and points. and just to confirm incase it is wired negative ground and im having a moment... when you refer to the "cutout" i assume you mean the "circuit breaker" as its labeled on the wiring diagram?

Again thanks in advance and have a happy holiday.
G

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Yes, the "cutout" is the circuit breaker that sits on top of the generator.

All Chevrolets are negative ground, not positive ground. Also the generator doesn't care if it is positive ground or negative ground as long as it is polarized accordingly. When switching from positive ground to negative ground the wires will have to be reversed on the ammeter so that it will read correctly in the right direction.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.