Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Cruiser Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Have a 1950 chevy styleline,2 dr sedan. Looking to install chrome or stainless rocker panel molding. Found rocker molding and original type clip mounting clips that mounted in the rectangle slotted holes. When I bought the car it had been repainted and rocker slotted holes filled in. Can't tell from backside of rocker panel because its boxed in, where holes would be. Any ideas how one would install mold clips? screws?

If you not the lead dog, the view never changes.
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
ran across the same problem restoring my coupe when i replaced the section where the gravel shield is i didnt have 2 holes i took a straight edge and lined up the existing holes i had from the front part of the rocker drilled a hole after guessing where the clip might be and then took a file for what seemed hours to make rectangular opening figured that was way too much work so when i did the driver side i did the same straight edge procedure but this time i drilled a hole thru the outer rocker and inner rocker then i took the stock clip and drilled a hole thru the center made the holes i drilled a hair bigger than what i needed so i had a little up and down play to make the rocker stay in line with rest of moulding then on the inner rocker i drilled the hole big enough to put a thin walled 3/8-7/16 socket thru putting a machine screw thru the clip and then a washer lock washer and the nut on the screw and snugged it up then i put stainless moulding on making sure it was where its supposed to be and then tightened up all screws sprayed some undercoating on the ends of the nuts and left it looks ok to me thats what i did andy good luck i take it you have no holes to work with hopefully you have the 2 holes at the bottom of the front fenders to sort give some idea make sure you have the moulding snugged up against the small triangle piece at the bottom of shield that also will help you things up

Cruiser Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks that helps a lot.

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Originally Posted by stefakicoupe
ran across the same problem restoring my coupe when i replaced the section where the gravel shield is i didnt have 2 holes i took a straight edge and lined up the existing holes i had from the front part of the rocker drilled a hole after guessing where the clip might be and then took a file for what seemed hours to make rectangular opening figured that was way too much work so when i did the driver side i did the same straight edge procedure but this time i drilled a hole thru the outer rocker and inner rocker then i took the stock clip and drilled a hole thru the center made the holes i drilled a hair bigger than what i needed so i had a little up and down play to make the rocker stay in line with rest of moulding then on the inner rocker i drilled the hole big enough to put a thin walled 3/8-7/16 socket thru putting a machine screw thru the clip and then a washer lock washer and the nut on the screw and snugged it up then i put stainless moulding on making sure it was where its supposed to be and then tightened up all screws sprayed some undercoating on the ends of the nuts and left it looks ok to me thats what i did andy good luck i take it you have no holes to work with hopefully you have the 2 holes at the bottom of the front fenders to sort give some idea make sure you have the moulding snugged up against the small triangle piece at the bottom of shield that also will help you line things up
am a terrible typist hope my post will help

Cruiser Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
If I'm reading right your saying the clips with the threaded post/nut both go on the front fender, not one in the front fender and other toward the back fender.

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
its been a few years since i put rockers on the car there was 1 maybe 2 clips that had a threaded machine screw that went thru the bottom of the fender then if can remember about 5-6 rectangular slots along the rocker panel there was not a a clip similar to the ones used on the fender bottoms used any where else on the mouldings if you want me to will look monday to count how many clips were used and distance apart to give you some idea on what to do andy (senior citizen) i have had a 50 chevy or two in my garage since high school and i have been out of school since 1967

Cruiser Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
That's ok I found the clip kit, it has 12 clips and 4 more that have the bolt in them, so I can figure it out. I also in researching found a photo of in stall but for just the front fender. It showed the spacing for the holes . From back edge of fender 3 5/8" and 11". I graduated in 1965.

Last edited by Cruiser; 09/17/17 03:45 PM.

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Threaded clips go through holes at bottom of front fenders (2 per fender).
Check out photos of your car.There are plenty online as well as on this forum. The clips are evenly spaced and it really doesn't matter how many you use as long as the trim is secure as no one will see it once installed. On the 51-52 models, the end of the trim matches up with the leading edge of the gravel shield on the rear fender. Not sure about 49-50s. Good luck.

Last edited by styleline51; 09/18/17 09:41 AM.

Rick

"Never time to do it right the first time, but always time to do it over."
Cruiser Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
OK thanks like I said I have the spacing for the 2 fender bolt ones, once I install then I can straight line the ones to the back gravel shield.

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
I'm in the same boat as I recently had my 51 painted and debating if I want to replace it. Kinda looks cool without it except I have the holes at the bottom of the front fenders. Hmmmmmmmm.

The rocker clips have two bosses on the inside of the clip. My car had rectangular holes which allowed the bosses to snap into the holes to retain them. You also might round off the clip corners so the trim can slide onto the clips. That's how I removed my trim--sliding it off the clips. I can email you some pics of my old rockers if you need it. Just PM me with your email.

Last edited by styleline51; 11/15/17 01:53 PM.

Rick

"Never time to do it right the first time, but always time to do it over."

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.