Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic

Does anyone have a pic of the ignition wire housing with the special $26.00 grommet installed. And how do you go about installing it on the housing? One end has the ign. switch attached and the other has the metal cap for the ign. coil attached. Are either removable from the housing?

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
To install a new grommet on an existing cable it will be necessary to slit the gromet.

Gene Schneider
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi Gene that is what I thought. Just wanted to make sure first. It is a spendy little devil. Does the choke cable go in the other spot?
Brian

Last edited by 42special; 10/24/17 10:54 PM.
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Yes

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
I installed mine without cutting the rubber grommet by removing the ignition cap from the ignition cable. Chevs of the 40's has the grommet for sale for $7.99. One cent less than last year. Wirewall grommet, armored cable Ignition switch to coil

The rubber loop grommet, holds the armored ignition cable to the choke cable This is available from Chevs of the 40's for $25.69. Last years price was $24.00. It is installed also by removing the end of ignition cap off of the ignition cable.

If you are not having the car judged I would cut the firewall grommet as Gene has said because I would not want to mess with the ignition cap. Taking the cap off requires removing not only the cap from the metal cable it is attached too but also removing the ignition clip on the end of the enclosed ignition wire.

Under no circumstances should you cut the expensive rubber loop grommet to attach it to the shielded ignition cable. Doing so will cause it to fall off the shielded cable when the choke cable is installed. You could try super gluing the rubber where you cut it, but I am not sure this would hold!!!

I will post pictures later.

Good luck, Mike

Mike 41 Chevy
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Here are some pictures to help with the location of the grommets. As you can see I have yet to install the choke cable in the loop grommet. You also can see the black electrical tape I used to insulate the cover from the cable. The angle the cable enters the cap is also not correct, because the fit is too loose. Just another problem to address.

Electrolock Grommets

The reason I did all the work with the cap removal was I was into a frame off restoration and had to replace the insulated wire, which was in bad condition. If I was just wanting to replace my firewall grommet and didn't want the hassle of replacing my loop grommet I would have gladly left "well enough" alone and just cut the grommet as Gene recommends. The job was made considerably easier without the front sheet metal installed. After what I have learned I would also have left the cap in place and replaced the wire through the ignition switch end if the cap was tight.

Good luck, Mike

Mike 41 Chevy

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.