Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I normally do not write negative reviews unless I have conclusive evidence to prove it but I need to warn fellow car guys that Pertronix point replacement may end causing more harm than good. I installed their product in my stock 67 Nova 283 to free myself from points.. It worked fine for about 5 months and I started experiencing stalling.. I looked at everything but the ignition module until I was cruising down a highway and the ignition cutout completely for 8-10 secs and then came back on and caused a huge backfire and destroyed both of my new mufflers. I went back to points and the car has run flawlessly for the past 2 years.. $270 for new 2 new mufflers just to end up back where I started:(
Mike

Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
I know exactly what you are saying! I installed Pertronix on my 1970 Impala that I owned several years ago and it lasted one week! The Pertronix quit leaving us stranded at an intersection on a major boulevard, lead car at the stop light, on a Friday night at 5:00 and the traffic behind us was horrible! With horns honking and cars passing we had to push the car through the intersection to a parking lot at a local business.

The point system is just about fool proof and easy to fix if there is a problem, which is rare. I will never, ever use a Pertronix again!

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
I can also add a Pertonix failure to the list. Luckily it was a test unit that had been on the road for nearly 3 years but in the shop as a test engine for carburetor rebuilds. The engine was running fine at a medium speed when it just quit. Testing proved it was the Pertonix. Past the 30 month warranty it was replaced with points that have worked for many more years. I also will NEVER use a Pertonix to replace an on the road fixable point setup.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000

On earlier Petronix instruction sheets. it was "suggested" to store the removed points and condenser in the glove compartment.
Don't recall the exact verbiage, but I thought it showed a lack of confidence in their own product.

1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 door sedan / purchased from second owner 6-19-2000.
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
iagree

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
This guy has developed an HEI ignition system that is superior to any ignition upgrade I have seen so far......

http://www.devestechnet.com/Home/HEIgnition

http://www.devestechnet.com/Home/HEIInstall

Video here....

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I agree with all of the above...have had Pertronix in small block Chevy V8's, and 409"s...I have used MSD ignitions, Mallory dual point, GM dual points, and GM single points. I have always come back to good old GM single points, set up correctly with the correct vacuum advance unit...perfect! Bobalouie

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.