Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
wesb Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Any comment or photos of the correct black rubber fabric?
Thanks Wes

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
My recent research on this subject led me to the leading convertible top material supplier, Haartz. Their history page on the internet explains that a material pattern called "Tuxedo" was used on the tops of early 30's GM products. They supply a similar pattern called Tuxedo as a replica for late 60's Cadillac imitation hard tops. Company who did my top said they could not get Haartz materials and someone else told me that the imitation hard top material would not work well for our type of top. So, I ended up with the Lebaron Bonney kit for my car which is Model A Ford design material. If you can get a sample of Haartz Tuxedo it may be worth having a look at it.

Tom

wesb Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Tom,
Thanks for the tip
I contacted them will be getting a sample

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Did you ever get the sample? Can you get the roof made in that material?

wesb Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Yes, using the Tuxedo type

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Wes, is the Tuxedo type the same as the stuff from Lebaron Bonney except for the pattern? I'm doing a 35 Standard too. Where did you get the Tuxedo type roof? Did you get the rest of the roof kit from Lebaron Bonney (the padding, mesh wire, etc.) or were you able to get everything from the company with the Tux type roof?

wesb Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
From Haartz.. I am installing the radio in my coupe, so I read up on the roof construction and also info from members. So I plan to use some fiberglass mesh, brass screen, thin firm foam and then the outer top material.will be some trial and error to figure out. The foam I think was from a general material supply like McMaster Carr. About an 1/8" thick

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Wow! I just googled Haartz material. Their World Headquarters and Corporation are only 20 miles from me. Looks like I am going to take a ride and check it out.

wesb Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Eric is the 3 gen. Owner. They supplied GM

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I got my sample of "Tuxedo" from Haartz. It looks like the same pattern design and thickness as the sample for the 1930-32 Rumble seats and Panels. Anyone else comment on this?

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.