Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I'm doing some research on the differences between disc and drum brakes. So far, I've found that the 63 Corvette had drum brakes all around, and the 66 had disc brakes all around, and both came std with 15" wheels. Because those two cars are very similar, I thought a comparison of their stopping distances (say 60-0 mph) might be revealing. I have not found any published data documenting the stopping distances for the two very similar cars. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Or provide the data and a source?

Thanks

Pete

Wilwood Engineering1955-1957

Willwood Engineering

Wilwood Engineering designs and manufactures high-performance disc brake systems.
Wilwood Engineering, Inc. - 4700 Calle Bolero - Camarillo, CA 93012 - (805) 388-1188

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Boy, that's a great idea. I'd sure like to see the results when you're done. I have a '66.

I don't know how to help you, but I'll keep thinking about it. And our club meeting is next Monday, so I'll ask there too.

--Bill B

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
all 63,64 and a small percentage of 65 corvettes had drum brakes . there were three different shoes that one could order in 63 and 64. the ZO6 sintered metallic shoes were the ultimate stoppers(once they got heated up). there was another option that supplied just sintered shoes but without the finned drums, vented backing plates that the ZO6 came with(as well as other features with the ZO6). the third shoe was the standard(i.e., not metallic ) shoe. i've owned all three shoe type vets as well as many 65-67 disc brake vets. i personally prefer the feel of the shoe brakes for highway driving. for auto crossing, road racing etc, i believe the disc brake vets are a little superior. the shoe brake vets are certainly less costly to restore. mike

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
The type of tire and it's condition would have more effect on braking distances as any of the brake types could lock up the wheels at 60 MPH.....with that being said I know that locking up the brakes doe not make for the shortest braking performance.
The discs would be less prone to fading is several stops were made in rapid sucession.

Last edited by Chev Nut; 04/23/16 10:17 PM.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
I always get a kick out of the assumption that disc brakes are safer than drums. Many believe that discs will stop shorter distance than drums. My experience is that it is easier to feel (and control) the pedal pressure to be just above the slide the tires needed to have the shortest stopping distance. Of course with ABS that is controlled for you. Ever tried disc brakes without power booster? If so what was the pedal pressure required?

I am waiting for an equal evaluation of stopping distance of drum versus disc brakes. Need to be same surface, tire size, vehicle weight, weather, etc to get an accurate comparison. Any changes in those parameters will effect the accuracy of the comparison. Remember we are only interested in apples not any citrus.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
And also temperature.

The 1970 Camaros came with front disc brakes and no power brakes as standard equipment. took a lot of pedal pressure.
The Vega was the same and the discs worked well but it was a much lighter car.

Gene Schneider
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to respond!

I am not expecting to be able to pass any rigorous scientific scrutiny. I was hoping that some car magazine, or some other data from the era, may have measured the stopping distances of the two cars (or any other two very similar cars).

My own experience has been that comparing the four cars I owned/drove in the 60's (all drum brakes) with the first car I owned in the early 70's (disc front/drum back) reveal little if any stopping distance advantage for the discs. I did notice the discs dried faster after getting wet from wadding thru mud puddles.

I'm still interested in any info that may be available.

Thanks again!

Pete

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I've had three mid years, two with drums and one with discs. Honestly I prefer the drums. If they are adjusted correctly I think they feel better for street driving.

Last edited by GMGuyBob; 04/23/17 06:23 PM.

31 Chevy Roadster
64 Corvette
76 Corvette
77 Grand Prix

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.