Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Originally Posted by Rustoholic
Thanks Chistech and Brendank.

When I get to the final assembly, I will make a list of which parts are coming from which engine and also list any modifications that I make. Keep these good ideas coming!

Below are the pictures that didn't work in the previous post.

Cheers, Dean

[Linked Image from 1.bp.blogspot.com]

[Linked Image from 2.bp.blogspot.com]

[Linked Image from 3.bp.blogspot.com]
Hi Dean,
Looking through your post and wondering if you did indeed countersink the holes in the flywheel to use flat head screws and how that worked out? I am thinking of doing the same with my 6 cyl as the lock washers have dug into the flywheel and created slight pockets. Also if I can use flat heads I can fit a later spring clutch.

Last edited by cabboy; 07/26/22 07:11 PM.
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 3,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
Hi cabboy,

I did not countersink the holes in Lurch's flywheel and consequently did not attempt to use a later model clutch.

Thanks for the question and thanks for reading the thread! ;-)

Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Just saw the posting about the straight pins the PO used to hold an oil pan gasket in place!! Jez Louise. From there, you spoke of a Coke can method of dealing with the situation. I last installed my '45s oil pan in the cold and in an impatient hurry. Of course, it leaks like a sieve. Could you explan that in more detail for my 2nd try?

Jake

ChatMaster - 3,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
Yeah, those straight pins were a BIG surprise!!

After I finished my engine rebuild, I happen to be looking through the Chevrolet 1928 Service News bulletins, and noticed there was a short story about a mechanic at a Chevy dealer who used that method to keep the gaskets in place. Ouch to the next guy who serviced that car!

The 'trick' I used for forming the front and rear oil pan gaskets is covered later in the story. Here's a link to that part: Buttoning up the bottom end of the '28 engine

After forming and pre-cutting the length of those gaskets, I used Permetex #2 to glue all the oil pan gaskets to the engine.

Then I carefully put the oil pan on, making sure that I could see a rim of gasket material sticking out from the edge of the oil pan. This visual clue tells me that the oil pan gaskets are positioned properly and (hopefully) won't leak.

Thanks for the question! Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Dean,

Thanks for the link to the area of installing the oil pan. I read the several postings about it. They will be very helpful in my 2nd attempt to install my pan, this time hopefully with no leaks.

I wonder, at the time of my 1st attempt, if I knew how to do a simple archive search, I could have found this info. Of couse, I didn't know my job was going to leak. Also at the time, there were probably 2 other reasons I didn't post the question; it might have seemed like a dumb question & I needed the answer now.

So after all was said & done, did Lurch no longer have a problem with incontinence? It sure looks like you got him fixed up real nice.

Jake

ChatMaster - 3,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
Well,,,,,,,,,, Lurch does not leak oil from the oil pan gaskets.

However, late in the build adventure there was a problem with an engine knock located in the front main crankshaft bearing. I was able to fix the knock, but I disturbed the gasket seal on the front of the bearing cap, and therefore he does have a leak.

Here's a link to the final fix: Lurch cleans up his act

But hey, he's 95 years old at this point and old guys leak a little. ;-)

Cheers, Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
6 members (Rusty 37 Master, Nick_in_Manitou, kaygee, 3 invisible), 101 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
SabrinaKarras, Speedy1
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,071
Posts429,077
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.