Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#385163 03/06/17 11:12 AM
cabboy Offline OP
ChatMaster - 1,500
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,500
Hi there. Can anyone provide pictures of what the interior looks like in a Cabriolet. Need details of panels around and behind the seat if any as well as inside the rumble compartment. Any pictures before or after restoration could be helpful. Would love to have pictures of the front seat frame and rumble springs.
Thanks in advance.

cabboy Offline OP
ChatMaster - 1,500
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,500
No interior pics anyone?

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
Have you tried contacting Hampton Coach? I've seen some photos on line but no idea if they are correct. I do know someone that has a Cabriolet but again not sure if interior is correct and I do know it is in Winter storage.

Steve D
cabboy Offline OP
ChatMaster - 1,500
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,500
I did not see them advertise a kit for this vehicle. I have sent them a request anyway to see what they come up with. Still I was wondering what the panels are like that go to either side of the seat on n the quarters. I can guess and make panels to fit no problem but I am hoping that find out so I can make things more accurate. I am doing my best to return both my cars to original colors and trimming.

cabboy Offline OP
ChatMaster - 1,500
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,500
Well Hampton Coach replied that they have no patterns or any other information for the Cabriolet. About what I expected.

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Yep....the folks at Hampton Coach are basically Ford guys so their upholstery kits for Chevrolet are probably somewhat limited.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
I called the shop that I believe did the interior for a members 29 Cabriolet. Got voice mail so I left a message and IF I get a call back I will check to see if they might have pictures or information. In May I will be at a meeting in the area where the 29 Cabriolet is located so will try to get some photos then. It will depend on the owner being available and the car accessible. Let me know if you get your information before then.

Last edited by m006840; 04/04/17 08:49 PM.

Steve D
cabboy Offline OP
ChatMaster - 1,500
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,500
Appreciate any effort, thank you.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
You might try seeing what auctions are coming up and if any cabs are listed for auction. If so they usually have a bunch of pictures of the car.

Also search major automotive museums that might have one in their collection ??

hIT google SEARCH.........1929 CHEVROLET CABROLET FOR SALE

DO SAME TO EBAY motors USA

search HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS for somebody selling one.

search search search , don't have the time ? find it

mike hood

cabboy Offline OP
ChatMaster - 1,500
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,500
Done all the obvious. Searched everywhere. Photos people use to sell don't typically show the detail I need. Fluff photos are typical. I need behind the surface photos of original or correctly restored as I am trying to return these cars to as original as I can. The Cabriolet body I have is a super low body number and from Oshawa so I am hoping to save it for historical purposes. Also if I can document this well I can help others if future restorations of Cabriolets are undertaken.

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
Do you know if it's the same as a USA built cabriolet?

Steve D
cabboy Offline OP
ChatMaster - 1,500
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,500
Hi there,
Yes it is. Canadian production for this model only differed in colour schemes and maybe interior fabrics. Most everything else was the same. There may have been some different accessories but I haven't looked into them. I am keeping the cars I have simple and not putting a lot of trinkets on them. The only thing I might consider is side mounts on the Cabriolet but my sedan will be plain Jane as it was found. The Sedan is easier as it has original paint and interior so I know what it needs. Very little paint on the Cabriolet but it is looking like Congo Smoke with Talina Brown molding (1928 colors). Cabriolet body has really low body number and is likely early production. One other option I may install on the Cabriolet is wood wheels. I am missing one rear hub to complete a set. The rear hub for this was unique to 1929 and different then 28 or 30. Physically and dimensionally the same as 28/29 front hub except has taper to fit rear axle. I have one rear hub and if necessary I will have a second machined but would like to find an original. I also have four wire wheels for 1929 but they look too Fordish for me. Might sell them.
Thanks.

Last edited by cabboy; 04/05/17 09:06 AM. Reason: Additions
ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
The owner of the upholstery shop just called and said he will look for photos of the 29 Cabriolet upholstery job he did. It was a few years ago so it may take a little time but he hoped to get to it by the end of the week. The shop is"Davidsensautointeriors" and he previously worked for Hampton Coach so I feel confident it should be close to original. His assistant also worked at Hampton Coach and made many of the patterns that they have.

Steve D
cabboy Offline OP
ChatMaster - 1,500
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,500
Thank you. There is just not much info out on the web for this body. Hampton Coach replied they don't have patterns or any information regarding the interior. Once I settle on exterior color I will have to decide on interior. Hoping the not only black was used as I have seen on old period photos.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by m006840
Do you know if it's the same as a USA built cabriolet?

Its a FISHER BODY so it should be the same as a usa built body . But I stand to be possibly corrected by an expert on the subject.

The open car bodys ..........: roadster , phaeton , roadster pickup , were supplied by an "outside source" to Chevrolet.

mike hood

cabboy Offline OP
ChatMaster - 1,500
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,500
So I have determined exterior colors for this Cabriolet. It was Driftwood Smoke with Lindbergh Blue moulding and wheels. Striping would be Mt Ash Scarlet. So when I figure out how to do the panels around the seat and in the rumble area I need to figure out correct color for the interior. From the parts book I see imitation leather but hoping I can use a color other then black.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I typed into my google search engine...........

1929 Chevrolet cabriolet and came up with pictures of on for sale in a soft grey body with black fenders also shows pictures of the interior and a blue body line

https://myclassicgarage.com/marketplace/cars/all/Chevrolet-Convertible/117214

right click on the HTTP,myclasssic above , then OPEN

mike greenman

cabboy Offline OP
ChatMaster - 1,500
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,500
Hi Mike,
Thanks for the effort. I have done due diligence and have seen these pictures and many more. As stated before, selling pictures typically show overall but not any real detail. I have enlarged and scoured many photos and still have not seen the detail I need to properly return this car to its former state. I will keep researching as I have been pleasantly surprised many times with parts finds and expect to eventually find the remaining information and am hoping to compile it for reference for anyone else in the future wishing to restore this model.

cabboy Offline OP
ChatMaster - 1,500
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,500
Still on my wish list.

cabboy Offline OP
ChatMaster - 1,500
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,500
Still hoping for some information. I am hoping to assemble this body this year.

cabboy Offline OP
ChatMaster - 1,500
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,500
Originally Posted by m006840
I called the shop that I believe did the interior for a members 29 Cabriolet. Got voice mail so I left a message and IF I get a call back I will check to see if they might have pictures or information. In May I will be at a meeting in the area where the 29 Cabriolet is located so will try to get some photos then. It will depend on the owner being available and the car accessible. Let me know if you get your information before then.
Hello, did you acquire this information? It would be very helpful. Thanks again for your time and effort.

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
I was not able to attend the meeting in May. I do appreciate the reminder and will try to get the photos as soon as possible.

Steve D
cabboy Offline OP
ChatMaster - 1,500
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,500
Just moving to the top of the list to keep it active. Thanks all.

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
The interior panels from 29 to 31 are all very similar in shape and design. It's the covering materials and pockets/no pockets used on the panels that differs from year to year. The body design and structure didn't change that much that the interior panels would change much. Hampton coach has a 31 cab kit and I believe if you ask, you could purchase the die cut interior panels bare. This would allow you to get very close and at least know what adjustments you need to make to get the panels nailed in correctly. I've put interiors in 27-32 Fisher body cars and can say there's not much difference through the years. Even my 32 Oldsmobile DCR ( Olds calls it a roadster but it's a cabriolet) uses the exact same interior panels as the 32 Chevy with the only difference being the addition of a golf bag door and the panels that are different on that one side of the interior.

Hampton Coach was its own entity years back and was strictly GM based with guys with excellent knowledge. HC wanted to sell and lucky for the antique car world, Lebarron and Bonney purchased them or we'd have No place making interior kit for our cars. The issue with HC/LB is all the original GM guys are gone and a lot of the early F guys are too. The call for these kits has dropped just like the values have on our cars. The guys alive with original interior knowledge know much later cars from the 50's on. HC now relies on people like myself who put in their kits and then offers feedback to them. Of course I get my questions answered from the likes of Chipper, JYD, and others then I pass that back to HC so they can make things better. An example is the folding top bonnet that the Olds had on the 32DCR. HC doesn't have the patterns but I have supplied them many factory close up pictures and will be taking them my car so they can duplicate and pattern it. This means they will be able to offer a factory type bonnet for not only my Olds but for Chevy cabriolet, Pontiac, and Buicks too.

cabboy Offline OP
ChatMaster - 1,500
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,500
Thank you Christech for your comments. All of this is known to me already. I know I can get materials from Hampton coach as well as other suppliers. Hampton coach has no patterns for 1929 Cabriolet and didn't seem inclined to assist further. Chevrolet made a cabriolet in 1929, not in 1930 and a redesigned one in 1931. The 1929 and 1930 didn't share much. The 1928 and 1929 cabriolets share more parts. I am not looking for anyone to provide material as I can make myself. I am hoping to see as close to original as I am curious about the panel shape inside to quarters and around the seat. All of my work is as close to original as is possible which is why I research and ask assistance where ever possible. If you have or know where I can get pictures of an original, that would be the help I need. Again thank you for your comments as they may lead others in the right direction for them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.