Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#377656 10/27/16 09:39 PM
Rich47 Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic

I just recently had the transmission for my 47 coupe rebuilt and ordered a new clutch kit for it also. Just wondering how much travel there should be in the pedal when you let the clutch out. And was also told to put some grease on the drive shaft ball when I reassemble the tranny. Is this correct?

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
You can put some grease on the drive shaft ball but in front of the cork ring seal it is lubricated from the gear oil in the transmissin/U joint.
If you didn't do it I would not worry about it.
The clutch should have about 1 inch of free play. That means easy movement of the pedal at the top or first inch of its travel. If the disc and pressure plate are "normal" the clutch should begin to engage about mid way between the floor and the pedal all the way out.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Hi Rich,

Since part of your question deals with the torque tube I thought I would include a previous post that could be helpful. I do wonder if you are familiar with how to search our old post topics? There is a lot of info related to transmission operation in these old posts that is not contained in your manual. If you need help doing a search please ask. Here is a link to read before hooking up your transmission to the drive shaft. 1929-54 Torque Tube Gasket

Best Wishes, Mike

P.S. Transmission Fluid Level

Mike 41 Chevy
Rich47 Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Thanks for the info. No I am not familiar with old posts. I will definitely ask for help in the future.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.