Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I would have thought correctness for the 48 generator would have been a slam dunk...To answer your statement,not all of us are perfectionists...I get a charge out of getting it right!!! p.s. where can I find the locking key for my nut?

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Confused, the lock washer or the key to the pulley/shaft? I would think your local parts store. Don't know if it is special.

Have you thought any about calling Mr. Geear, the tech.

When you get a chance, send me a picture of the rear end of you gen. Straight on from the back. Please?

I sent Uncle Ed a e-mail asking his thoughts and post here.

Dale has a high points car, wish he would check-in!

Last edited by ruscar; 10/06/15 10:10 PM.

Russell #38868
'48 4 door Fleetline
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
The key,my PC is down so communication has been a challenge

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Pictured below is from a brochure from the Van Nuys assembly plant in Los Angeles California. The generator pulley clearly shows to be natural possibly zinc/cad plated. The front and back plates appear to be lighter in color but I am not definite because of lighting.

[Linked Image from 1948chevy.com]

When restoring my car I took note of all these details and that is how I arrived at my version of restoration for 1948 Chevrolets. Now I’m not perfect by any means but I think I am pretty close. One thing I noticed on unrestored generators is that the front and back plates usually were nature in color and some had a hint of some black paint, depending on how well they were preserved/stored. I think, they were possibly painted along with the generator body but the paint didn’t adhere very well to these pieces. With time and usage the paint came off. This is just my theory.

I will start a new topic posting up two pictures showing the engine in more detail that I am sure will blow up into many more interesting discussions because it answers the coil bracket color and position question and much more.

Russel as far as my generator tag, thanks for the info and it is duly noted. I have always taken the approach that to have an earlier correct part is better than a later correct part and/or a incorrect part all together. Because it is hard to find a generator with an original tag none the less with the correct part number I didn’t mind the date being earlier, why because in 1948 the generator would have be available vs a generator with a later date code on the tag. Because a generator with a later date code was not made yet, it’s in the future. As a lead VCCA judge in this category I would never deduct for a date code that is earlier with correct part number.

I hope all of you continue to have these great discussions, we are all learning and documenting for future generations!!!

Johnny Johnson
VCCA# 33448
www.1948chevy.com
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Excellent info Johnny...I can not wait to see what you are bring to the table next carrot

Both my generator have this tag...40-48 per the parts book

[Linked Image from i563.photobucket.com]

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
One thing I noticed on unrestored generators is that the front and back plates usually were nature in color and some had a hint of some black paint, depending on how well they were preserved/stored. I think, they were possibly painted along with the generator body but the paint didn’t adhere very well to these pieces. With time and usage the paint came off. This is just my theory.
And a darn good one too! At least that is my theory also.

Appears the front nut and washer were painted in place on the generator also.

I hope all of you continue to have these great discussions, we are all learning and documenting for future generations!!!
A-MEN to that. That in itself is the reason I drag some of these discussions out for soooo long. Just trying to get the info as correct as possible.

AND...let me say one more time, you have done an outstanding job with the contributions you have made to the "47's and '48's Chevrolets. patriot

Russell #38868
'48 4 door Fleetline
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Yes, but the serial number, make no sense????? Should be a number 0 to 9 and then a single letter and the a number from 1 to 31. The date code. At least that is what I understand for Chevrolets

Russell #38868
'48 4 door Fleetline
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Just looked at the generator on the 47 engine I have. Pulley is painted black. Gen # 1102767. Don not have the history on this engine. Pulled the engine out of a coupe I bought a few years ago for the front seat. The number tag was black.
Looked at my 48 and the pulley isn't painted looks just like the generator fan. Kind of rusty but not bad. The generator is a rebuilt without any numbers I can read from the top anyway.
Bet the number was 1102667 will have to check tomorrow.

Last edited by Keith Knox; 10/08/15 11:43 PM. Reason: Number correction

1946 Chevy 3100 1/2 Ton Pickup Purchased 11/18/17 Sold 9/20
1948 Chevy Fleetmaster Coupe, Purchased 6/20/2010
1965 Chevy ll 350 Purchased Feb 2021. 3-speed Saginaw Hurst Floor Shifter 3.08 Rear End

2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Crew
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Thanks for chiming in Keith

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
CC,

I suggest the following:

a. Remove your generator.

b. Take the nut, washer and pulley off.

c. Take the front and rear plates off.

d. Take the band off.

Now as this thread changes as to the colors quickly paint or don't paint the parts as information becomes available. stressed That way when the final finally is finally reached you can quickly reassemble all the parts and re-install your generator. You will be the first one in the country to have correctly painted generator. Oh glory , what a thrill that will be to say nothing of the bragging rights! luv2

All the other cars besides the Fleetlines are not that sensitive and will operate just fine any way their generators are painted. It is you lofty-minded Fleetliners who insist on being perfect. Agrin

I hope you take my suggestion at heart: Staying awake at night worrying whether that Little darling fleet-line has the correctly painted generator can be annoying and lead to sleep depravation. I sometimes worry about you. Agrin bike

Charlie computer

ChatMaster - 1,500
Online Content
ChatMaster - 1,500
Originally Posted by ruscar
Confused, the lock washer or the key to the pulley/shaft? I would think your local parts store. Don't know if it is special.

Have you thought any about calling Mr. Geear, the tech.

When you get a chance, send me a picture of the rear end of you gen. Straight on from the back. Please?

I sent Uncle Ed a e-mail asking his thoughts and post here.

Dale has a high points car, wish he would check-in!

Sorry Russell I haven't had time to check my '48 generator yet but I suspect that on that old of a car with 72+++ miles it has probably had a rebuilt generator put on it. I will try and check it if I can remember!

Ed
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Charlie, sleep will never be a problem for me, I work 12-14 hour a day...Yes as I mentioned before, I tend to be an over achiever. I can only guess there is lots like me in this club, not just us Fleetliners

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.