Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Deve Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hi guys! I am looking for confirmation that I have my 1964 261 engine set up correctly. Yes, 1964. Its a replacement engine with no engine serial number. Sad part is, the Full Flow/Bypass plug is flush with the outside of the engine. This, I believe, means its in BYPASS.

Since I write How-To Articles I am trying to track down exactly where this information is, in print. Does anyone have a Chevrolet manual of some sort that explains this plug? If so, please take a picture of it, so I can include it in an upcoming 261 How-To. Thanks!

Deve
http://devestechnet.com
http://forums.devestechnet.com

Wilwood Engineering1955-1957

Willwood Engineering

Wilwood Engineering designs and manufactures high-performance disc brake systems.
Wilwood Engineering, Inc. - 4700 Calle Bolero - Camarillo, CA 93012 - (805) 388-1188

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by Deve
Hi guys! I am looking for confirmation that I have my 1964 261 engine set up correctly. Yes, 1964. Its a replacement engine with no engine serial number. Sad part is, the Full Flow/Bypass plug is flush with the outside of the engine. This, I believe, means its in BYPASS.

Since I write How-To Articles I am trying to track down exactly where this information is, in print. Does anyone have a Chevrolet manual of some sort that explains this plug? If so, please take a picture of it, so I can include it in an upcoming 261 How-To. Thanks!

Deve
http://devestechnet.com
http://forums.devestechnet.com

Here are FOUR pages of 261 info, regarding a UK poster, who is talking about 261 oil pressure, oil flow, full flow or by pass, etc.

Additional info and sites are located within the individual replies/posts, as well.

There IS much info out there on the 261 and its' "dowell positioning", being in or out. Not a pin, not a plug.

http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/321153/tp/1/

More 261 info.

261 Street Engine Build

By Pat Smith

"Oil Filters: If you have a late 261 with the ½" pipe thread holes on the left side, great! These engines have a full pressure full flow oil filter system. What that means is that 100% of the oil from the pump goes through the filter before it enters the engine. Maybe! Over the lower hole, you will see a boss with a dowel in the middle. If the dowel is out flush with the block, there will be a passage opened between the oil pump outlet and the main oil galley. If the dowel has been pushed in, all the oil has to go through the filter first. I don’t think I would try to move the dowel either in, or out. I would be afraid of breaking the block".

1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 door sedan / purchased from second owner 6-19-2000.
Deve Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Good information. What I am mostly looking for is a Chevrolet Manual title and page number to reference in my How-To article
devestechnet.com/Home/TheGreat261 on that dowels depth when fully in. I am also looking for exactly how to drill those 6 water holes in the 848 head. Drill bit sizes, angle, etc. Thanks very much for the reply. Lots of good info there confirming things a bit.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by Deve
Good information. What I am mostly looking for is a Chevrolet Manual title and page number to reference in my How-To article
devestechnet.com/Home/TheGreat261 on that dowels depth when fully in. I am also looking for exactly how to drill those 6 water holes in the 848 head. Drill bit sizes, angle, etc. Thanks very much for the reply. Lots of good info there confirming things a bit.

Understand about Chevy documentation, in print.

My books are not "modern enough" to take in 261 specs, in print.

FYI, I do know the dowel is depressed into the block .50 to .62 inches for full flow.

1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 door sedan / purchased from second owner 6-19-2000.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
2 members (Pops36, 1 invisible), 75 guests, and 33 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aristech, RalphL, tonysk
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,071
Posts429,063
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.