Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#316122 08/18/14 11:22 PM
Nkopp Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Everything I have done seems to indicate my 32 chevy radiator is just too clogged. I have one in another I will swap in to prove it is the radiator and not the engine. If it is the radiator, where or who do you suggest I go to, to get another original, or original looking one?
Norm

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
The Filling Station has brand new honeycomb radiator cores for your 1932. www.fillingstation.com

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I purchased a new radiator from Brass Works. Not cheap, but very high quality. Just bolt in.

ChatMaster - 4,000
Online Content
ChatMaster - 4,000
I agree with both of the above...

The Filling Station has some
and have heard nothing but good things from Brassworks, many get a MODERN style core for there radiator and are EXTREMELY happy with it !!

AACA - VCCA - Stovebolt - ChevyTalk
Love the Antique Chevrolet's from 1928-1932
The Beauty, Simplicity, History, and the Stories they Tell
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
If you were closer to Canada I would recommend Rice Radiator in Chatham Ontario. They do most of the work for R/M restoration. I went with an industrial 3 core cost was right around 500. They would need your tanks.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I did get the modern core from Brass Works. It works great. The car runs cooler than it ever did, even with the high temps and humidity we have in Louisiana this time of year.I don't show the car so the modern core was a good choice for me.

Nkopp Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
On a more modern radiator you can take the tanks off and poke a wire down the passages. Is the honeycomb construction such that this is not possible? I would have nothing to loose. Or, will "boiling" it out just loosen up all the solder in the core?
Norm

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
On a honeycomb radiator you can "rod" out the center of the tubes but due to the configuration of the tubes you can not "rod" out the sides of the tubes if they are plugged.

I had the original honeycomb radiator on my 1930 "rodded" out and then boiled out in an ultrasound tank but the radiator still heated up. Finally replaced it with a new honeycomb radiator from the Filling Station.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

Nkopp Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Seems like the overheating problem is solved. More running in hot weather will prove it out. What I did was take the radiator off, lay it flat, fill it with water, flush it with forced air. Did this at least ten times from both ends. Stuff kept coming out including a couple more acorns! Then I did the same with the engine till it flowed clean. Pressure washed the honeycomb, outside which cleaned more outside blockage. All this opened up more leaks. Put it all back together, filled the system including stop leak. I still need to pressurize with air through the filler neck to drive the stop leak to the holes. Hopefully running it will help plug the leaks in time.
Thanks all, Norm

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
You may have more problems with leaks in the future as well.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.