Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
ChatMaster - 4,000
OP Online Content
ChatMaster - 4,000
ok, working on my 1929 Brake Set-Up - Adjustment I have installed all NEW Brake springs, repacked all bearings and followed the Instructions for adjusting & setting up the brakes per the repair manual/ service news.

In doing so it seems like the brakes are 90% rear & 10% front, as I have to press the pedal almost to the floor BEFORE the front brakes even kick in. I have the car on jack stands so I can set/ adjust/ test the brakes.

I used the brake tool to set the proportioner and linkages. There seems to be play in the proportioner, wonder if there is anything missing, or should it be loose ? I also have the floor board out so I can watch the linkages and proportioner.
As soon as I press the pedal the proportioner moves but ONLY the rear cross shaft turns activating the rear brakes. then at about 90% to the floor the FRONT cross shaft begins to turn activating the front brakes.

I did test the freedom and ability to TURN BOTH cross shafts freely and easily by hand BEFORE connecting ANY rods or LINKAGES. I also checked all linkages and MOVING parts to ensure they moved freely and easily with very little effort.

Can anyone provide some insight as to what I am doing wrong or is this HOW the brakes should work on the 1929.

I was under the understanding it should be 60% rear & 40% front but figured that when you start pressing the pedal BOTH cross shafts would begin to turn and activate front & rear brakes. Or do the FRONT only kick in ONCE the rear are activated and provide resistance for the front shaft to turn ??

Trying to get them set properly...

AACA - VCCA - Stovebolt - ChevyTalk
Love the Antique Chevrolet's from 1928-1932
The Beauty, Simplicity, History, and the Stories they Tell
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Front brakes were still considered hazardous so they are adjusted so the rear brakes need to be activated before the front. You probably need to adjust the rear tighter, take slack out of the rods/pivots/linkage/pins. Once the front brake linings contact the drums much of the stopping is by them.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 4,000
OP Online Content
ChatMaster - 4,000
Thanks Chipper...

I know one posting we talked about having to adjust the brakes once they settle in. On my rear the shoes are not the same shape as the outer drums. then END points contact before the middles does, I figure that after some driving and testing they will settle in and seat properly. In setting the rear brakes, the ends are set to the right distance, but that leaves the middle further out. is there anything that I can do or should do ?? Rear Shoes - Side View May be hard to see

In emailing with Chip (NC Chip) he asked me to post some pictures of the setup to make sure I have the proportioner correct as well as the linkage between the pedal & proportioner.
Prop Side View
Prop Top View
Cross Shaft Ends

If you look at the Prop Top View & Side View, should there be space between the linkage (the U-Shape part that is pinned on each side), and the part it mates with. at least 1/8" or more space in there... Seems to be a lot of slop, should there be ??

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
I think that you need to set the rear linings a bit tighter or reshape the bands so they better fit the drums and then tighten so the middle has the hacksaw blade gap. As long as the linings don't drag somewhere else it should be okay. You should have 1/2 pedal or more when brakes begin to grab.

ChatMaster - 4,000
OP Online Content
ChatMaster - 4,000
ok...

what would be the best way to reshape the bands ?? I do not want to damage the shoes or bands by any means. if I adjust the middle to have the hacksaw blade gap the ends of each band drag...

Originally Posted by Chipper
You should have 1/2 pedal or more when brakes begin to grab.
based on that I need to do some adjusting/ tinkering...

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
First try bending by hand aided by a piece or two of wood. The closer to a perfect circle the better.

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
The assembly of the proportioner looks correct in your photos, but the arms on the cross shafts that connect to the link attached to the brake pedal are not nearly as close to vertical as mine are on both of the '29s. You may want to try unhooking the brake pedal linkage and adjusting the clevises on the actuating rods leading to the wheels, both front and rear so that the arms on the cross shafts to which the brake pedal attaches are nearly vertical when the brakes are fully engaged.

I'll post a photo of mine.

All the Best, Chip

"It's wise to choose a SIX"
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I'm about 10 yrs late joining this thread, but it looks like the place to ask my questions regarding the rear service brakes (exterior bands) on my '29 LQ 1.5 t truck.

Last summer, I was never completely satisfied with my rear service brake set-up (pedal play, band-to-drum gaps, etc), but the stopping performance was acceptable, so I thought I'd put some road miles on the bands and re-visit the set-up this spring. So that's what I'm doing!

To make a long story short(er), I believe my rear bands could stand some 'rounding'. With excessive gaps at the heels and toes, (and therefore excessive pedal play) there are areas where the bands still excessively drag on the drums. After doing additional research, I came across the attachment showing a 'rounding hand tool', but it gives no part number to aid in finding one.

Has anyone ever come across a 'hand-type rounding tool' as shown in Fig. A 10 of the attachment? used one or an acceptable substitute? know if its use will damage new, woven linings?

Thanks again for your help and advice.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/b7pf...rlkey=heauq45gsfekwuj9klqp8ur1c&dl=0

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
4 members (Keith Knox, Tiny, THH, cufrcp), 86 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aristech, RalphL, tonysk
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,071
Posts429,066
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.