Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Maybe I'm just being too sensitive but does it bother anyone in this group that this month's '39 Chevy G & D cover car features a Ford color for the exterior?

What are your thoughts folks?

Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
It doesn't particularly bother me. It's prominently noted in the magazine that the cars pictured aren't necessarily perfect restorations. I'm just happy that it's not been hotrodded.

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Doesn't bother me. I wouldn't have known the difference without reading it. I'm glad to see that he is driving it and enjoying it. It will look original to most people.

See you Touring the Back Roads

Joined VCCA June 1, 1961
ChatMaster - 1,500
Online Content
ChatMaster - 1,500
Looks good to me! iagree

Ed
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Looks all American to me. Red car against a white building with the blue sky above...Joe

See America's First...Chevrolet

1931 Sedan Delivery 31570
1933 Standard Sports Coupe 33628.
1934 Master Sedan Delivery Canadian 177/34570
1968 Z/28 Camaro
1969 SS 396 Camaro
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Many times I have seen a new member bring his car to an activity and right away people start judging it and telling them what is wrong with their vehicle. This does not do much to encourage them to join us and participate.

Even after fifty years I have taken a new purchase to an activity and am told it wouldn't take much to bring it up to snuff when I just purchased it to drive and have fun.

Let's leave the judging to the judging field.

Joined VCCA June 1, 1961
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Yes, I have experienced this myself, people telling me how I could improve the finish or whatever on my truck. Sometimes it is amusing to listen to the "experts" criticize it. Often, they haven't got a clue about what they are saying.

My 1951 1 Ton is now on the road! My 38 Master 4 Door is also now on the road .
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Owning a 1968 Z/28 Camaro is in that class. People look & make comment but know nothing about 68s. They think 68 & 69 are the same....Joe

See America's First...Chevrolet

1931 Sedan Delivery 31570
1933 Standard Sports Coupe 33628.
1934 Master Sedan Delivery Canadian 177/34570
1968 Z/28 Camaro
1969 SS 396 Camaro
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
For a cover car, it does seem that there could have been a equally worthy Chevrolet photograph with a Chevrolet color to put on the cover of the G&D.

The question is simple one about featuring a Chevrolet having a Ford color on the cover. It is not about judging another's car and making annoying suggestions on how to improve it. Its a shame the thread has molted into a matter of defending incorrect cars, severe to minor.

My answer to the question is a qualified: Yes. Although I'm not surprised. Merely astonished.

Charlie computer

BTW: Any time you deviate from original, you may expect to receive well meaning comments about originality. It just happens. Live with it.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Being a new member and all I`m going to have to side with Chalie and Floyd on this one ..my first G&D mag......good to FINALLY be a member tho, after all the great help over the last 2 yeas !

David Martin-Hendersonville NC, Pine Island Fl....... 1940 Chevy SDSS,
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Originally Posted by Martinomon
Being a new member and all I`m going to have to side with Chalie and Floyd on this one ..my first G&D mag......good to FINALLY be a member tho, after all the great help over the last 2 yeas !
Good to have you. Now we just need to get you on some tours. laugh

VCCA Member 43216
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Welcome Martinomon,
Glad to have you on-board.
chevy

For reference, this kind of G&D discussion usually occurs once or twice a year. Let me repeat what's been said in the past:

1. The VCCA is a Club.
2. The G&D only prints what Members submit to it.
3. If you don't like something that you see in the G&D, then Look in the Mirror and ask yourself whether you've submitted anything recently.
4. Sometimes members forget that THEY are responsible for what appears on the cover, and on the pages.

Agrin
Seriously, WELCOME and don't hesitate to be ACTIVE in the club and ACTIVE in supporting the G&D. Your efforts will help make the CLUB better than it is.

--Bill B

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Still waiting for my G&D (Australia) I don't care what colour it is personally but it's a fair comment and everyone is entitled to an opinion without having to don the flame suit.. and yes..dig a little and most cars will have a list of "wrong" just to keep em rolling.. I love my car the way it is but am always looking to improve and refit the correct parts..not all of us have the where-with all..to do a body off 100% correct resto...maybe one day..

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
As the saying goes, "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder". It looks pretty good to me. Presently I am restoring a 51 belair that was painted an incorrect color when I got it. The "beholder" I live with likes the color so it will again be painted an "incorrect" color.

Steve D
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
It is your car. Go for it.

Joined VCCA June 1, 1961
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Thanks Tiny and Bill for the warm welcome to the club!...There have been so many folks that have helped me get my `40 tuned in . Love the mag. and wouldn't have known the FORD color thing if it wasn't brought up .....and as Style has said, everyone is entitled to his -her opinion...( without the mirror)....I think Floyds observation has merit and would think the people in charge at the mag. would welcome such input .......so stimulating!

David Martin-Hendersonville NC, Pine Island Fl....... 1940 Chevy SDSS,
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thanks to everyone for your feedback. Sounds like a split decision - kinda what I expected. As a long time VCCA member and longer time '39 Chevy owner/restorer, I noticed right away that the color of the G&D cover car was not the cloisonné maroon that was offered in 1939 and confirmed it in the article. It looks to be a great car and a lot of work went into it I'm sure; I too am extremely glad that it wasn't rodded! I just wondered how folks felt about the color issue.

David, welcome to the club. I'm just down the road from you in Tryon, we ought to get together some time to compare notes on old Chevys. I'll try to send you a separate message with my contact information.

Thanks again to everyone!

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
There have been cover cars before that were not a "correct" color so what is the big difference. At least it had the original wheels, etc.
n other words it wasn't modified.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Well, Gene, I guess one difference is that no one ever polled us about the others.

Charlie computer

ChatMaster - 1,500
Online Content
ChatMaster - 1,500
Well, the car is well preserved, taken care of, not a rod, and I still say it is a great car! I think it is a little nit picky to Knock it down because it is not quite the original color unless it is on the judging field. None of my cars are 100% correct but I have them to use and to drive. They are basically original but I wouldn't dare put them in the G&D because you guys would tear them apart! I have won best of show with 2 of them in informal, peoples choice shows but they are not good enough for a VCCA show. I say lighten up and save the criticism for the judging field. flush

Ed
BBB Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Ed's comment: "I say lighten up and save the criticism for the judging field."
iagree

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Uncle Ed,

I think the notion that us folks were putting the car down may be well wide of the mark and the intent of the thread.

My take on the original post was merely polling our opinion about the choice of the G&D folks choosing a car with a Ford color to feature in the magazine. Therein lies the rub. Nothing more.

That is what prompted my post in that I agreed that surely there was something else to feature other a car with a Ford color. According to Bill B, maybe not. Being the wrong color is a small thing. And the polled comments were not negatively criticizing the owner of the car. They questioned the choice of the G&D only. The owner can paint it Betty Boop polka-dot for all we care.

I would like to see your cars in the G&D perfect or not. More interesting than the fit, finish and correctness is the story behind the cars that is brought out in a way the owner can only provide. Please send yours in. After all, that would be what Bill B encourages us to do.

I hope the corn is as "high as an elephants eye" out there.

Best,
Charlie computer

Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
I kind of have to disagree Charlie. I think it's refreshing to see a car on the cover that doesn't belong to one of the club officers or long time members. The choice of color is minor to me considering it could easily have been turned into a hotrod. Most of the vehicles in the G&D aren't "original". Most have tried to be faithful to original during their respective restorations but most of us have had to make compromises along the way.

VCCA Member 43216
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
My '50 made the cover, and personally, I wouldn't even give it a Drivers Class award at a VCCA show, there is so much wrong with it! I think the G&D is meant to be a representative of our club's many functions, not just the judging program.

Those accustomed to the finest...find it in Chevrolet.
1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Originally Posted by brewster
I think the G&D is meant to be a representative of our club's many functions, not just the judging program.
iagree AND it's many members. There are a lot of good stories out there that need a chance to be heard.

VCCA Member 43216
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
More stories are needed on the project Chevrolets that our member are doing themselves or with the help of other members. Members helping members is an important part of this organization.

Dave Cufr #12505
1927 Capitol coupe
1928 National 4-door
1928 Speedster
1936 Standard Town Sedan
1975 Nova Custom Hatchback
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Finally got the mag... great story..great car... more of these stories please Mr editor

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Next month focuses on 1964.
I don't own one, but I still liked the articles.

--Bill

Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
I just read this thread while looking for an answer to another question I have. The cover car in the July 2014 G&D is mine......1939 Master Deluxe coupe. I appreciate the positive comments and those supportive of the color choice i made for the car. I purchased this car in 1963 when I was 15 years old. She and I have been together for 58 years! What a ride we have had and continue to have together! The G&D article in the July 2014 issue contains some of the stories and pictures from this time. This includes first dates with my high school sweetheart who became my wife, along with numerous other events. The '39 is 82 and I am 73. I guess that makes us both vintage models. I'll have to say she is better looking today than she was is '63 and that is not the case with me. :} These relationships that we establish with our cars and car buddies is what VCCA is all about. The color my '39 is not very significant compared to the wonderful times (and some not so wonderful] that the ole '39 and I have experienced together. Thanks to all my car buddies who have shared this with me.

Gary Lovell VCCA #35178 - Marion, Ohio

1 member likes this: 38chevy
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
I got a message in my mail but no picture Gene Schneidet

Gene Schneider
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
When my Great Grandfather bought his 38 MD, he had almost every option available added, plus some dealer options. Originally Kashan Green, he had it repainted Robin’s Egg Blue before delivery. He drove it until 1967. Now I show it several times a year. Always somebody telling me certain parts aren’t original or correct. They have all been on the car since 1938.

Originally owned by my Great Grandfather. Restored by my Dad. Now up to me to keep it going.
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Warning: You may wish you had skipped reading the following rant but read on at your own peril. Your call.

I'm sure that there are folks out there who point out errors in a car and by doing so, in a way that could irritate the owner.

Having said that, I also think that when we know that we have errors in our car that we may overreact to the above people and, also, to those who have your best interest at heart and are merely trying to help.

Folks pointing out errors of another's car need to be especially sensitive to the possibility that their advice and information may not be well received. Thus, it would always be a good thing to do so when the time is ripe or not at all.

On the other shoe, the owner who knows he has faults or errors in his car should not be so hasty in sensing insult where none is intended.

I was at the Hershey car a few years ago when the restorer of the 1941 Chevrolet convertible that was in the museum there at Hershey, and I were admiring a 1941 that had been restored by a man and his two sons from Lancaster. Pa. The restorer pointed out that there was a bolt in the fender where it was attached to the body up near the rear of the hood opening, i.e. near the cowl. The information was taken well by the owner. On the other hand, I asked about the lack of a reverse polarity switch on the starter. This was received in not as gracious manner and I was told that all 1941 didn't have the reverse polarity switch. l didn't argue and left it at that. Later, here on the Chat, I asked about by posing the question. Gene whose opinion I respect, replied that all 1941s had them. Now, I consider the owner a good friend and we have shared many a moment together at Hershey where they (he and one or two of his sons) generally stop by my vendor's booth. They are good people and their car won a Jr status and then Senior status. Over the years their car has been there and shown as a preservation item. I went to the car show last year but I never found the Chevrolets that were surely on display. Given to Hershey's love for Fords I wouldn't doubt that they were stuffed into a back corner of the woods or somewhere else of little prominence. Who knows?

The point with all this is that I believe some of the negative reaction(s( by an owner may be warranted, especially when not considering other listening ears that may be present and thus a source embarrassment to the owner but then some may be overreacting negatively on being informed of their oversight in their car and its restoration, etc, as if caught with their hand in the cookie jar. In other words there may be improvement in both sides of the dilemma of how to behave ourselves. I know that I can always use improvement and I seek such education in deportment. Do too!

I hope to get to the anniversary meet this year and bring my 41. I will hope that all who see me or my car will not withhold any advice or fail to point out errors or mistakes in the car. I will not be offended in any way but, rather,grateful in that knowing better i can fix the errors or mistakes.

Best,

Charlie computer

BTW: I hope I have not offended anyone for none was intended.

1 member likes this: MrSwadener
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
In short, be gracious in your constructive comments and forthright with your praise.

Be kind so that feelings are not hurt. All vintage vehicle owners are somewhat sensitive about their babies and rightly so. They are our children.

This is an old thread, but one that touches on ideas that are always relevant.

Then, there are us strange folks that thoroughly enjoy the derogatory comments made about our rust buckets.

;-) Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
Well said Charlie!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.