Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
rpm Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I have a '46 1/2 ton with a 216 engine the distributor is a model 1112362, and I believe is the correct one for this truck. A mechanic?? told me that the distributor should have a external ground like the one on his spare engine. If the ground from the battery is attached to the transmission and the distributor is attached to the engine, which it should be and is, then what is the purpose of the external ground?

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
1112362 is a later 1950-1951 distributor and does not require a ground. The 1946 truck originally had a polarity reversing switch mounted on the starter. It used different dist. and grounding system and IF IT WAS REMOVED ( the often problematic reversing switch)a dist. ground wire was used. With the reversing switch operating it was grounded thru the switch. Your late dist. will require using the more common late 1948-1952 points.
If you bought a new distributor for a 1941- early 1948 in the later years Chevrolet would have sold the distributor you have in your vehicle.
The reversing switch reversed the current flow passing thru the points each time the engie was started....thus increasing the life of the points. I really caused mor problems than it was worth and Chevrolet discontinued it in mid 1948.

Last edited by Chev Nut; 05/13/13 02:02 PM.

Gene Schneider
rpm Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thank you Chevgene, I was hoping you would be on the chat today. I thought I had the correct dist. since it had been running just fine for nearly 5K miles. I don't have the reversing switch on mine, and the parts number I have also matches with what the F.S. shows as a replacement.

Thanks Again!!

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.