Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
39COEme Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I need plenty of feedback on this one.

I am about to mount my 1939 Chevy COE cab on to a 1980 P30 1 ton frame. I want the cab to tilt forward as so to get to the motor compartment easier.
I am building this truck from scratch & doing it all by my self. (first time for me) My reason for wanting easy access to the under carriage is duo to the fact that I have one prosthetic leg. yep, my left leg decided it did not want to hang around any more & just left me one day, about 11 years ago. The problem is, that is my good leg, the other one don't like me much ether. So it ain't easy crawling under trucks any more.
So I need my truck to be as easy as possible to climb up in & drive. Also, easy to do maintenance once i finnish building it.
I drove cab over semi trucks for better than 28 years & I have a good idea of the concept of tilting the cab. I will need a sub frame going the length of the frame rails & ending up near the front bumper, were it will be attached to a hinge type pevet point, off the frame. Than at the back end of the sub frame, there will need be a pad off the truck frame with a locking latch to hold the sub frame secure, so as me & my cab don't go flying one way while the rest of the truck goes the other way. There will also need be two hydraulic or air rams to do the job of lifting the cab. Cus it will be to heavy for me to lift in my condition. https://vccachat.org/images/icons/default/biglaugh.gif.https://vccachat.org/images/icons/default/biglaugh.gif
Since the gas & brake peddle will both be hanging peddles in the cab, they will go up with the cab. The steering may be a problem? That will need a two piece rod/tube. one inside the other, with swivel U joints on both ends, one attached to the steering box, the other end hooked to the steering column. Column will need to go through the cab floor & stop & hook to the, rod/tube, via swivel u joint. So as the cab goes up, the rod will swivel at both ends & the rod/tube will stretch & follow the cab up.
This all sounds good on paper, but has any one here done it before on a vintage COE. Or does any one know some one that has done it. Cus I'm not that bright & building trucks/cars from scratch is all new for me... But I got plenty of time, so long as the GOOD LORD allows me time.

PLEASE, I need plenty of feed back on this concept, so work with me.

I'm a shadetree fixit man- I fixit were ever I am-a little bailing wire & a good pair pliers & I'm on the road again-Caus I'm a shade tree fixit man
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Have you tried to find an old tilt cab truck to use as a donner which would be good for both parts and design ideas.

Dens Chevys 1927 Speedster 1928 coupe 1941street rod 1947Fleetline 4 door 1949 1/2 ton Pickup (sold) 1954 210 4 door 1972 Monte Carlo 2003 Corvette convt..
39COEme Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
No I have not as yet, but that's a good idea. Some of the older 1960's smaller 1 ton trucks might have just the thing. I had some photos at one time of a late 49's COE some one was doing. But I accidently deleted them & don't know who he was. He had not finished it yet at that time, & it was on hold at the moment.

I'm a shadetree fixit man- I fixit were ever I am-a little bailing wire & a good pair pliers & I'm on the road again-Caus I'm a shade tree fixit man
ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
Perhaps the tilt mechanism,and other needed parts from an Isuzu would be adaptable. Chevy and GMC both sold that chassis with their badges on it. The truck rental companies (Ryder-Penske-U-Haul etc) all have them in their fleets. Might be worth checking out and if favorable a truck with a blown engine or other reason for not going back into service could supply the necessary parts.

Steve D

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
3 members (andsome07, Tiny, 1 invisible), 76 guests, and 30 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
SabrinaKarras, Speedy1
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,071
Posts429,072
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.