Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#261048 11/15/12 09:16 AM
wawuzit Offline OP
ChatMaster - 4,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 4,000

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Yes, he built it himself. Looks pretty good, but the rear doors are a little small. Maybe why GM only built them on the bigger chassis cars. The pictures below it show the rear doors on the other brands going up over the rear fender. The Studebaker even has suicide doors.

Last edited by brewster; 11/15/12 09:49 AM.

Those accustomed to the finest...find it in Chevrolet.
1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Yeah, I built that. Started it in my home garage in 1979 took a break to move twice and build this house, then got back on it in 82 and finished in time for the All Cal 1984. And working full time too, Oh to be 40 again... to be 70 again.
Jay
[Linked Image from i1232.photobucket.com]

I don't have any pictures on the computer. This is a picture of the poster I displayed at car shows. I bought that Fleetline sedan from a Concord CA wrecking yard for $25. IT had a beautiful rust free floor and rockers. Also had a 41 conv parts car. Put the sedan body on the convertible frame, convertibe door tops on the sedan doors. As mentioned I had to shorten the rear doors to make room for the top well. The car was well received and I toured with Nor-cal and Sacramento Reigons for 10 years. It's now in a well known Bay Area's '41 collection, I get visitation rights.

Last edited by 41carguy; 11/15/12 01:04 PM.
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
JAY .........MAGNIFICO !!!!!!!!!!!!

lOOKING AT THE PICTURES before i got too your post, i honestly thought it was the real deal. My friend Frank has a 38 LaSalle convertable sedan one of 263 made and the rear side doors are pretty short also.

Great job JAY

mike lynch parking

Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
Absolutely beautiful work. I really like the back doors. It looks like they afford better access and egress room for those back seat passengers. The steering wheel was really one that is hard to locate. The interior finish is also top quality. You have a one of a kind to be really proud of. It shows very well!
Normbc9

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Thanks for the comements Normbc9. I built the car as a stock/restoration but never tried to hide the fact that it wasn't orignal. Notice the word counterfit on the poster? the down side was I was refused judging at many concoures and not accepted at streed rod meets. The curent owner, who inspired me to build it has solved all that by going to a 350/350 combo with throaty exhaust and lower stance. He also added the Spinner wheel and foot scrapers. Created a true restro rod.
Jay

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I thought it was pretty sweet when you had it, Jay. As I recall it was once a G&D cover car. A very neat "what if" scenario...

Those accustomed to the finest...find it in Chevrolet.
1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Thanks Brewster, your right cover G&D Feburary,1989. When Dennis Fink agreed to put it on the cover he said " I'll do it but I expect a lot of flack". Later he told me he didn't receive a single complaint.
Jay

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Not accepted at street rod events?,I have never seen stock vehicles not accepted at events put on by the modified crowds. Its the original/restorer events who I have found to be very judgemental on the non originals.
Originally Posted by 41carguy
Thanks for the comements Normbc9. I built the car as a stock/restoration but never tried to hide the fact that it wasn't orignal. Notice the word counterfit on the poster? the down side was I was refused judging at many concoures and not accepted at streed rod meets. The curent owner, who inspired me to build it has solved all that by going to a 350/350 combo with throaty exhaust and lower stance. He also added the Spinner wheel and foot scrapers. Created a true restro rod.
Jay

VCCA #45194
wawuzit Offline OP
ChatMaster - 4,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 4,000
The NSRA at Louisville had over 8000 cars there. They have antiques as well as customs and streetrods. I've never heard anyone object. On the other hand the orginal antique guys are quick to not want anything that is not stock or correct for the year model.
Most antique guys are older gents ( like me..grin) The streetroders are from 16 to 90. That might have something to do with the event rules. imsorry

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Steve and Jeff of course you are right. I was never turned away at any meet. I've had my current 41's at many street rod events. Perhaps I should have said not appreciated because it didn't have a big rump-rump engine under the hood. I take it all back.
Jay

DFC Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I'm hearing some generalizations about acceptability of modified cars that doesn't fit my experiences.
At judged VCCA events you can choose to NOT be judged if your vehicle has "modifications". The great flint 50 year gathering had Quite a number of "modifieds" present. They may not have been thundering, heavily chromed, lowboys but thats just the point- they fit in with the majority stockers enough so they were accepted on the show field.
This is also true for VCCA tours. Many obviously altered Chevys are usually taking part and appreciated.
That the VCCA pushes the preservation concept doesn't mean that all the members are narrow minded zealots. Granted, there are grumbles from SOME folks when they see extreme mods and that is their right. I certainly have never experienced rejection of my lightly modified cars at a VCCA event or of " stockers" at Hot Rod shows.
I think our car hobby populace is overwhelmingly accepting and tolerant. Shoot! some of my best friends drive Fords.

Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
When I was a kid our neighbor had a '41 coupe with all of the skirts and chrome strips plus the grille guard and bumper ends. It was the nicest looking car I had ever seen and I still love it when I see one finished like this,'41 carguy. This car would sweep folks off their feet of the old guys I run with. Your planning and the the execution of the plan is truly impressive! There are a lot here on this great site but look around you. Not many good innovative fabricators left with the talent shown in these photo's.
Normbc9

Last edited by Normbc9; 11/22/12 12:15 AM.
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Well now, Thank you Normbc9 that's really nice to hear. I don't think I could do it today, eyesite and motivation are not what they used to be.
Jay

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.