Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#240844 04/24/12 04:45 PM
fred Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
My '55 Belair has about 20,000 miles. Original spiral shocks are shot. Would appreciate suggestions, pls, for replacement shocks. I'd like to duplicate the original ride - smooth not too stiff and bouncy. Thank you.

noevalley
Wilwood Engineering1955-1957

Willwood Engineering

Wilwood Engineering designs and manufactures high-performance disc brake systems.
Wilwood Engineering, Inc. - 4700 Calle Bolero - Camarillo, CA 93012 - (805) 388-1188

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
for that yo would want non-gas shocks or gas cushioned shocks.
gas fiilled shocks are usually more stiff.

Gene Schneider
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Hello Fred,

In addition to Gene's recommendations.....

It is fairly difficult to find a "non-gas" shock these days.
Seems most of the major mfgs have converted to gas-type shocks.

There are two different types of gas shocks - low pressure and high pressure. We will save the high pressure versions for the high performance guys as we are not interested in the ride quality of these.

From personal experience, you may wish to check out Monroe and the Monroe-matic shock. It is a very good quality shock, although it is a low pressure type. I have installed several of these with positive feedback from customers which wanted to retain the "old car" feel.

I call that compliant ride quality and they also seem to work very well with bias-belted tires.

You may want to check out this link
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

The Monroe-matic Part Number Front 32066 and Rear Part Number 33049.

Be forewarned that Monroe will make the marketing comment that the Sensa-trac model is OE ride quality. Yes it is - if you are driving a 1975 or newer Chevrolet and we all know those had radials and a quite different suspension from the 55-57 models.

I hope that helps with your decisions.

Oliver J. Giorgi
Technical Advisor
1958 Passenger Car
fred Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Many thanks BowtieOllie & Chevgene for the detailed responses - even suggested part numbers ... A great service.

noevalley

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.