Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#232125 01/25/12 07:07 PM
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
My name is Clemon (friends call me "C")I am a senior at San Bernardino Valley College. I am attempting my very first restoration. A beautiful rusty beaten up 1949 1/2 ton pick-up.

I am doing EVERYTHING myself: Metalwork,Welding,Paint,engine work,electrical,doing my own fuel and brake line,Interior. everything. I am making good progress so far...

However, I have experienced a "little" difficulty in locating a "few" parts that I need to finish it.

The Most critical at the moment is a pair of front leaf springs, I have found re-pro springs that are very expensive and usually not quite correct. But, As I am attempting to do a correct restoration, just as it would have been in 1949, locating the right parts hasn't always been easy.

Any and all help would be GREATLY appreciated and I would be forever in your debt. any spare parts I have or end up with would be gladly shared with any VCCA members in the area who could use them.

Thank you kindly for your time,
C

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Sometimes your locak truck repair center has a spring shop that can either rebuild them or re-arc the old springs.

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hi Chevy 1778,

I've asked local shops and they always say they either don't do springs or they quote a price way out of my budget, which is admittedly limited.

One of the members (Brewster) made a great suggestion. he mentioned that street rodder guys would be more inclined to part with some of their old parts, since they like to "update" suspensions etc. and directed me to a site. I think I'll try that and see what kind of results I get.

wish me luck everyone

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Mr. Brown,
It may take some time to find a set of springs that will fit your budget. Just stick with it and things seem to have a way of working out. There are several years that will fit so be sure to measure what you need so you can match that with what is available. Many people don't know what they have so specification/measurements can often determine that their trash is your treasure. Seem to remember that from somewhere.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hello Mr. Chipper,

I've definitely done a whole lot of measuring and re-measuring with my frequent trips to the locale salvage yards, but so far, no luck. I will definitely keep at it, thanks for the encouragement.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
If I am remembering correctly, there used to be a wrecking yard in Victorville that had quite a few of these trucks. They might be worth checking out and its not too far down the road from you. I went there when I was stationed in Las Vegas for truck parts for my '55 2nd series. Watch Craigslist too. Good luck!

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thank you OLDIRON, I'll ask around about the wrecking yard in Victorville.

I've Checked out Graigslist as well as Scrimper.net( which compiles all the craigslist free postings) without any success, I somehow just can't figure out how to reply to postings OR no one has cared to get back to me 150 times in a row, ha ha not sure which

Clemon

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I would suggest heading over to Bakersfield on April 12-14, 2012

The Horseless Carriage club is having a swap meet and they have alot of older iron. My son has found parts by making a two sided cardboard sign that he hangs over his shoulder with "Poor Student working on a 1970 Suburban" looking for parts - he had many people stopping him and offering parts (most at a discount)

I think it is great to see young members getting into the hobby - if you are willing to look - you shall find

Mike Quezada
(559) 250-5427
mike.quezada@M2ProSol.com
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
QMAN,

Thank you for the suggestion. Your son's sign idea is brilliant. I wish I had thought that one up. it's pure Genius.

Clemon

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
For $35 you can JOIN THE VCCA and then you will have access to the Classified Ads reserved only for members (in the monthly G&D) -- and you might find some other members who are willing to assist with a FELLOW member.... just an observation.... or tip. :-)

--Bill B

PS. The G&D goes out to 8,000+ members. And... as a member, you get to advertise for FREE in it.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi
Join the vcca right away. It was the best thing I ever did for my restoration project.
I'm almost finished ,and have done almost all the work myself as well.
The help I was able to get from all these guys is nothing short of amazing.
Bill Barker, Chip, Sal , and a whole bunch of other guys will answer any questions you have about anything.
You need to be a member of the VCCA to be able to chat back and forth with everyone online. It's just great!
Good luck.
Stanman

earlychevguy
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Hey Charlie, what is the length of the springs? I have a friend that has two Chevy springs that might be up for grabs. They measure from center to center 49 3/8"x2"x7 leafs. You can send me an email if this might work. They are off of a later 50's Chevy truck. Good luck with your project.

Sal Orlando
Chat Group Region Member

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
4 members (Lou, minetto, BearsFan315, Rustoholic), 73 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aristech, RalphL, tonysk
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,071
Posts429,060
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.