Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#231908 01/23/12 07:52 PM
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Hi is there anyone who reproduces the top bracket for the accessory wind wings for a closed car shown on Bill Barker's 1931 site? Or would anyone have a spare set of top brackets for sale?

"Never give up" Louis Chevrolet
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Here is the web page to Bluezone in Norway, but it seems he does only make the brackets for open cars. May be others can help here?

http://www.chevroletnorge.com/index.php?page=egne2

chevy

Solan G, # 32797

Take advantage in your hobby by being member of VCCA!

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Thanks for the reply Solan, I am familiar with your 490 as it was restored here by a friend of mine. It looks like I will have to make some brackets but I would like to find some accurate measurements so that I can have them as close as possible to the original. Regards Michael.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Hi Michael, you can buy wing wing brackets from Vintage and classic reproductions in QLD. They are complete , including the price $615 a pair. Part number UNI-019
http://www.vintageandclassicreproductions.com/Universal.htm

JACK
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Thanks for the reply Jack,I am familiar with Vintage and Classic Reproductions the owner lives close by, the brackets I need are for Chevrolet accessory wind wings for a Fisher bodied closed car. I have made a wax pattern and received the casting back this morning in brass and I have a few finishing touches to do and I will then have a rubber mould made and have two cast in brass then chromed and the job will be done. I was hoping for some exact measurements but have used the photos on Bill Barker's site to make them as close as possible to the originals. Regards Michael.

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Let me know if you need more help in the form of photos or measurements. I have a complete set in good condition that I have not posted to the site before.

---Bill Barker
http://1931chevrolet.com/accessories9.htm

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Hi Micheal, I re read your original post after i posted, and then realised that you were after closed car ones. I think it would be great(for us) for you to post the photos of how you made the wax patterns so we all can learn what is involved.

PS. Nice picture of your 1931 5 window coupe in the new VVCAA Royal Mail Magazine.!!
Regards Jack

JACK
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Speaking of wind wings, if anyone has pictures of 1931 roadster wind wings, I would be very appreciative to see what they look like.

Paul
If it isn't broken, fiddle with it anyway so you have something to repair.
1931 Deluxe Sport Roadster
1953 BelAir 4 dr. Sedan
1965 Chevy II Nova SS
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Chevy 6 How much were the castings? WOuld you have additional ones made to sell.
I have a set of closed body winf wings but am missing the two backets that go on top.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
For the closed cars 1931 and 1932 did George Ikari I&I reproductions offer these a few years back?

Chris
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Hi and thanks for all the replies, I have tried a few times to post photos so far without success and I havent taken photos from the start but I will see what I can do. I have cleaned up the brass casting of my wax pattern which will eventually be the master I just need to solder a raised rim which will be the pivot point for the top of the wind wing and then I can have a rubber mould made which can be injected with wax and you can make as many as you like by way of lost wax casting, there are photos on Bill's site of what they look like on a tape which gives approximate measurements, there is also an accessory brochure on Bill's site which shows accessory wind wings on number 4 scan for an open car. I would like to take Bill up on his offer of the measurements and I will see how close I was I did make it slightly larger to allow for shrinkage if you had an original one you could have a rubber mould made of that and then have them cast. Thanks for all your input, Michael.

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
I added three installation diagrams at the bottom of this page.
http://1931chevrolet.com/accessories9.htm

Will add more photos with measurments later.

--Bill Barker

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
ah, heck... I'll just post two of them here. chevy

[Linked Image from 1931chevrolet.com]

[Linked Image from 1931chevrolet.com]

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
[Linked Image from i1256.photobucket.com]
I've finally been able to post some photos, I've probably got your attention Jack.I didn't take photos of the first step but I filed the shape I wanted out of the geen wax and sent it to a place that does lost wax casting where the wax is placed in a flask with a wax sprue, the flask is filled with a substance like plaster of paris when it dries the flask is placed in an oven where the wax melts out of the sprue opening and is then burnt out and then molten metal is poured into the sprue and you end up with the brass piece which is next to the wax but at this stage I have already cleaned it up. The next step was to cut out a round disc of the appropriate dimensions which I then bevelled and brazed onto the bracket which I finished cleaning up and made sure that it all fitted and worked on the wind wings and then polished it, I have now sent it away to the people who do the lost wax casting and they will make a rubber mould which they can inject wax into and they can make as many as they want to in wax and then cast them in metal hopefully I will receive the two I am having cast next week then all I have to do is have them chromed. if randorchev is still interested I can let you know what the cost is when I receive the bill. Regards Michael.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Thanks Michael, So do you buy the wax from the casting company?

JACK
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I was given that piece of wax Jack but I think you could use any sort of wax but the harder it is the easier it is to file I think there would be a few types that would be used depending on the application. You should be able to buy it from any place that sells Jewellers supplies or suppliers to the lost wax casting industry or the casting company there are quite a few of them around..

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi Chevy6 I would be interested in buying a set of these brackets. I have a nice set of wing wings but I am missing these pieces.

Thanks.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Marge Verdone in Pennslyania does stainless steel casting of parts. When polished they look like chrome. She made a rumble seat handle for my 30 Sport Coupe, absolutely beautiful. She has of large inventory of completed interior and exterior
trim parts and handles.
Anyone that's been to Fall Hershey has probably seen her work.

karl
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Michael, I forgot to say, NICE WORK on these brakects!.

JACK
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Karl,
Does she have a booth at Hershey? If so, is it with the rest of the VCCA booths?

(I'll be at the Fall one this year.)

--Bill Barker

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Yes she has a booth, The VCCA booth is in the Red field and I know she's not there, just check the program where they list the vendors. She can cast anything and the prices are very reasonable. If she has a question she calls to double check.

Her phone number is (717) 949-3341

Last edited by karl31; 02/12/12 04:08 PM.

karl
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Randy, I sent you a PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
4 members (Keith Knox, Tiny, THH, cufrcp), 86 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aristech, RalphL, tonysk
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,071
Posts429,066
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.