Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#232131 01/25/12 07:32 PM
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
My name is Clemon (friends call me "C")I am a senior at San Bernardino Valley College. I am attempting my very first restoration. A beautiful rusty beaten up 1949 1/2 ton pick-up.

I am doing EVERYTHING myself: Metalwork,Welding,Paint,engine work,electrical,doing my own fuel and brake line,Interior. everything. I am making good progress so far...

However, I have experienced a "little" difficulty in locating a "few" parts that I need to finish it.

The Most critical at the moment is a pair of front leaf springs, I have found re-pro springs that are very expensive and usually not quite correct. But, As I am attempting to do a correct restoration, just as it would have been in 1949, locating the right parts hasn't always been easy.

Any and all help would be GREATLY appreciated and I would be forever in your debt. any spare parts I have or end up with would be gladly shared with any VCCA members in the area who could use them.

Thank you kindly for your time,
C

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Clemon
Welcome to Chevy Chatter.
It seems we are both in the same boat (doing the work yourself and needing front springs). I am not doing a "show truck" but I plan on keeping the factory appearance and only changing a few hidden details to use as a regular driver.

The filling station list leaf springs for several models and I consider the springs themselves reasonably priced for those in the US but for me the added freight makes them almost prohibitive.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Clemon... welcome to the VCCA chat site. It's great to see a young guy doing a restoration. I hope you end up joining the club so you get to see the amazing monthly magazine we put out, and enjoy the tours and shows.

It's not often any of us send people to other forums or sites, but I'm going to suggest one to you. Try the guys over at the www.chevytalk.com site. There are more guys building street rods there, and often just throw away the suspension parts they don't use. A great source of cheap correct parts for us restorers. Then make sure you come right back here and enjoy the ride! Post up some pictures, we'd love to see it!

Those accustomed to the finest...find it in Chevrolet.
1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Clemon, you might want to make a road trip over to Corona and check out Brothers Trucks. They sell springs and you'd save a lot on freight by picking them up there. Even if the springs might be out of your price range right now, it's always fun to go into a place like that and drool over the bling. Here's a link to their website. www.brotherstrucks.com

A general word of caution! Beware of repop! Some of that stuff is pure junk! I've always told people that, with a little extra work, rebuilding or reconditioning original parts is ALWAYS better than buying new repop stuff.

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
If your springs are not broken it may be possible to have them re-arched and rebushed.

Steve D
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thanks for the great advice Brewster.I will definitely be acting on it. Sent you a PM, don't know if you got it. Please keep in touch

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Kens 50 PU,

I had that exact idea myself, driving over to Brother's to pick up a set myself. But I really got my heart set on being completely original, plus my pocket book is mighty lite these days, nyuck nyuck. I might have to resort to that if I'm not able to locate any original springs, but I'm going to do every thing I possibly can to get these springs and keep my truck 100% original.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Check out these guys.

Bruce

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
we just finished our 52 pickup last summer, and had our original front springs re-arched and did new bushings. Was pretty inexpensive solution. However, after driving the truck about 200 miles, one of the springs returned to its original saggy state, so we ended up having to buy new ones. Went to a local truck spring repair shop, and they were able to order up new replacement springs, made in USA and they matched the originals in every detail. Had them in a couple days, with no shipping charges, so turned out that is what we should have done from the start. Having said that though, we had our rear srpings re-arched, replaced a couple of the leafs, new bushings,etc and they have held up great.

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Pix of my Baby

She may not be pretty, but she's got a great personality

photobucket.com

Clemon

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Thats a solid looking body. Up here they used to rust out in the lower corners behind the seat. Yours looks like a great truck to start with.

Those accustomed to the finest...find it in Chevrolet.
1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Yeah, my girl sure has a nice body on her, doesn't she. I love her curves. Hubba Hubba

HaHaHa

Clemon

Last edited by Mr_Charlie_Brown; 02/04/12 12:50 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
2 members (GMMasterTech, Chipper), 81 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
SabrinaKarras, Speedy1
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,072
Posts429,076
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.