Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
oboy Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Well i'm getting started on the wood removed the front cowl all the doors and metal trim.Trying to get the back half off now and the trim molding on top is in good shape.but getting it out without bending to pieces should i try to save it or can i get new when going back.looks like you should peel up one side to get access to nails.and speaking of nails MAN lot's of nails.

Wake up to learn something new everyday.
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
If you try to separate the molding it's doubtful that you can ever get it back in shape. I would suggest that you try to lift the molding and cut off the nail ends. Then when you instal it again yo can use fewer nails (drill small holes which can be filled).
However there is replacement molding that will work well.
I was fortunate enough to find great quality reproduction molding (no longer available) after I screwed up an attempt to remove the original. Still haven't figured out how they managed to bend the original molding at the rear of the top.

karl
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
It is possible to reuse the original if you are very careful. I did it on our 31 Coupe and it came out fine.

See you Touring the Back Roads

Joined VCCA June 1, 1961
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I built a wooden jig cut to the arc of the roof for both front and rear of the car. The jig allowed me to bend the roof channel very precicely for and exact fit.

oboy Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
It's comeing off so far takeing slow have one half and rear off the car.The guy that missed and went straight thru the metal is the guy thats makeing it hard.thanks for the tips i'm just going to take my time.Going up to va to get some wood from Bill Cartwright.He has most of what i need and the rest is 12 months away so i have time.Chevy1778 did you trow the jig away?

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Yes, the jig is gone.

oboy Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic

well got it all off in good shape.I would think this is stainless feels like aluminum.

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
They are aluminum, which is partly why they cannot be unfolded without breaking the hinge joint. As well, most likely have sealant in joint making it even harder to get them apart. Other topics here suggested cleaning them up, removing/snipping off old nails, drilling holes for countersinking new screws, and then filling screw heads/painting. Haven't tried that procedure, but understand it works!

oboy Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
thought it was, some nails look like i can reuse if i'm carefull the rest i think that trick will work.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
1 members (beachbum), 68 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aristech, RalphL, tonysk
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,071
Posts429,061
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.