Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
ChatMaster - 2,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 2,000
Got a call this morning from the CarQuest Machine Shop that the second block I brought in is okay for rebuilding. I don't know if I mentioned that the previous week they had called to tell me that a second head I brought in was cracked. This head had been Magna Fluxed and hot tanked by a local machine shop that I didn't think would do all that good a job on a complete rebuild, but surely would be able to find cracks in the head? Guess I was right to not use them.

The CarQuest shop said they would be machining the cylinder walls and know soon if one of the cylinder's was going to need a new sleeve. They said they will be calling soon to have me order replacement parts, etc., and that they don't get any discounts on the parts and would charge me for ordering them so recommend I do the ordering myself??? I am wondering which companies are recommended? I know Chev's of the 40s, The Filling Station, Kanter, Egge, are possibilities, are there others and who do you all recommend?
Thanks, Mike

Mike 41 Chevy
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
I ordered mine from Kanter because of their lifetime warranty. I contacted the Filling Station about their warranty and was told the only warranty was from the manufacturer, about a year if I remember right. The cost was about the same so I went with the lifetime warranty. The builder sent the rods off to Kanter last week to get machined for the insert bearings & the pistons/pins fit. The rest of the kit should arrive today or tomorrow.

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Oh Boy...Here we go again...Magna Flux is another loosely used "term" that does tick me off...since I've spent so much time in the Non-Destructive Testing Field . Magna Flux is a Brand name , like "Xerox" is to copying...So when you go to your local shop , please by all means ask if they have anyone "trained" ( or Qualified ) to perform "Magnetic Particle Testing"...if you get a blank look or a "huh ?"...Do yourself a favor and just sidle on outta there...Chances are the un-washed you were just talking too was trained by guy who no longer works there and neither has any business waving a "black light" around...'sept to "dig" on their psyche-delic posters...

1947 Fleetmaster Sport Coupe VCCA # 47475

If it's not wearing a Bowtie...It's not properly dressed...!
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Kevin47......Well said....... I agree.....ED

I was only wrong one time in my life so far. But that time I was right, and only thought I was wrong....ED
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Eastern Ed,
I'm not sure it bothers me all that much.

Here are a few others that have become household words;

a. Tweet
b. Tweeter
c. Google
d. Googling
e. Kleenex
f. Saran Wrap
g. Post-It
h. Crock-Pot
i. Jacuzzi
j. Band-Aid
k. Zip-Loc
l. ChapStick
m. Vaseline
n. Asprin
o. Davenport
p. Tupperware
q. Fulton

I think there are many such names of products that carry further meaning to them. I'm not that pure an grammatical aficionado to get all worked over such use. So, it don't bug me none that my machine shop may use the name Magna-Flux when telling me I have cracks in my head. hood wave

Charlie computer

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Maybe it might be best to have B.B.B. to put up a
WHINING form. potty

p.k.

1956 BEL AIR 2 DOOR HARDTOP

I've spent most of my money on Booze,Women and mechanical things. The rest I just Wasted........

Remember , I'm not Always Right. But I'm Never Wrong !
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
...O.K. It really doesn't bother me much ... It's just that I get a little nervous when I'm handing over dough to someone I'm not 100% confident in their depth of expertise of the job at hand...And especially when it comes to de-magnetizing my "block" when their done...( Thanks ED )

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by p.k.
Maybe it might be best to have B.B.B. to put up a
WHINING form. potty
I already asked Bill about that and he said you wouldn't agree to be the "Moderator" of such a FORUM...Sorry , I tried .

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Originally Posted by Mike Buller
Got a call this morning from the CarQuest Machine Shop that the second block I brought in is okay for rebuilding. I don't know if I mentioned that the previous week they had called to tell me that a second head I brought in was cracked. This head had been Magna Fluxed and hot tanked by a local machine shop that I didn't think would do all that good a job on a complete rebuild, but surely would be able to find cracks in the head? Guess I was right to not use them.

The CarQuest shop said they would be machining the cylinder walls and know soon if one of the cylinder's was going to need a new sleeve. They said they will be calling soon to have me order replacement parts, etc., and that they don't get any discounts on the parts and would charge me for ordering them so recommend I do the ordering myself??? I am wondering which companies are recommended? I know Chev's of the 40s, The Filling Station, Kanter, Egge, are possibilities, are there others and who do you all recommend?
Thanks, Mike
I would try to order parts (gaskets etc.) from your local parts store. You will save a bunch of money!

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
I am surprised that CarQuest wouldn't automatically offer to source the parts. I have dealt some with Kanter and they seemed decent to deal with. One thing that I do remember, the McQuay Norris rod bearings for the converted rods had the dipper hole on center instead of offset. Although this may not be a really big deal, it wastes about half of the dipper hole.

Last edited by old216; 02/01/12 12:42 PM.

My 1951 1 Ton is now on the road! My 38 Master 4 Door is also now on the road .
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
It is important to have the diper hole centered plus the area around the hole be opened up so more oil can spread around the bearing + the insert bearing should have the grove in the center like the babbited rod has.

Gene Schneider

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.