Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#232759 01/31/12 11:06 AM
6wheel Offline OP
ChatMaster - 1,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,000
I drove my '41 coupe home from the body shop yesterday. I finally got all the areas repaired that were damaged during shipment to me last spring. As I was leaving the shop I shifted into low, and as I pulled out on the road I noticed a loud clunking sound that seemed to come from the center of the car. I was able to shift to 2nd, and the noise went away. I drive home (about 20 miles on back roads) without any further noise. I parked the car in front of the garage and shut it off to go inside and unlock the garage. A few minutes later as I was putting the car inside, I attempted to back up, and the car wouldn't move as I let out the clutch. I moved forward slightly and tried again. Again it wouldn't move ( I checked and the emertgency brake was off). On the third try I heard the clunking sound as I let out the clutch and the car moved backwards. When I shifted into low and let out the clutch, I heard the sound again. Diagnosis is not my strong suit, but my guess is the u-joint. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Sid

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000

From your description that would be the first place that I would look. Particularly if that is where the noise came from. You should be able to unbolt the ball joint and slide it back so you can rotate the "U" joint for inspection.

devil Agrin

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Sid,
You may be able to rock the car back and forth enough to cause the sound again. Without the sound of the engine and being outside of the car often helps pinpoint the origin. Drive train noises can be carried up and down the length. It is common to think it comes from one place when in fact it is another. It is the gremlins at work again.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
6wheel Offline OP
ChatMaster - 1,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,000
Thanks guys. I may have gotten lucky! I jacked the car up and had my wife move a rear wheel back and forth while I listened to the noise. It appeared to be coming from the front of the driveshaft, so I removed the ball and pushed the sleeve back to expose the u-joint. I found that one of the 4 bolts that hold it together was loose inside the ball assembly. It is all banged up, and the lock plate for that side is missing. Guess that's why the bolt came loose! I see that Filling Station sells a kit with the bolts and lock plates, so I will order the kit. After I get the u-joint bolted together again I assume I'll just need to look for any looseness. I also assume that the u-joint gets its lubrication from seepage from the transmission - correct?
I appreciate the help,
Sid

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
I would put new seals in the ball and new packing in the tube were it slides.
You need to put oil in the ball before driving. Your repair manual will tell you this. My 52 it goes in one of the four bolt holes and my 37 it goes in the bolt hole for the ground strap.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.