Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#232166 01/26/12 12:05 AM
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I need some help figuring out what model 1929 Chevrolet International I own. The Serial number is 2AC78231. My uncle gave me this car in really bad condition with a 2-door "Woodie" style body on it. The problem I am having is that I read an article online that said the "2AC" means it was a 5 passenger 4-door Phaeton. Looking for pictures of Phaetons online all I have found is steel bodied cars. So my question is this a Phaeton that someone replaced the steel body with a wood body or was there a "2AC" wooden bodied car?

Become a Member!

JOIN THE VCCA and get access to the member-only features of the forum, including the ability to upload photos. You'll also receive our monthly magazine "Generator & Distributor". Yearly membership as low as $25!

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Hi there and welcome to Chevy Chatter II. Glad to have you with us!

The information that you read on line was totally incorrect. The "2" means that your car was made in the Tarrytown, New York factory. And, the "AC" is the series designation for 1929. Neither has anything to do with the body style of the vehicle.

The "78231" is the number of the run, which means that your car was the 77,231st car made in the Tarrytown factory in 1929.

"2AC 78231" is the complete car serial number and the serial numbers started at 1,001 in 1929.

laugh wink wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
I add my welcome to ChatII. The VCCA is an organization dedicated to preservation and restoration of old Chevrolets. Most members are top notch but we do have a couple of old grumps that we try to ignore.

The "dog" answered the car number part of you question but not the body part. Essentially there were three types of cowl/chassis combinations produced in Tarrytown. All had similar fenders, radiators, hood but the cowls varied.

The Fisher Bodied cars had a cowl to accept wooden front door posts extending above the cowl. They also had a Fisher Body plate screwed on the front lower part passenger side of the cowl. They also had a plate rived to the upper drivers side firewall with a coded body number. That number would identify the donor vehicle if it was originally a Coupe, Sedan, Coach or Cabriolet.

The Roadster and Phaeton had a cowl to accept the open car door and bolt on windshield. It also would have a dished in dash versus the flat dash of the Fisher bodied cars.

The trucks had a cowl that accepted metal door posts so had a vertical pocket where the post was screwed on. Those posts also held the windshield and supported the front of the top.

All three types had cowl and chassis versions produced for outside companies to install bodies of their own making. If your '29 left the factory as a cowl and chassis to have a "Station Wagon" body installed it likely would have used the 1/2 ton truck chassis.

If you can send photos of what you have either by posting them here or with a link to their location or by email to one or more of us we can likely identify if the vehicle had a wooden body or was converted some time ago.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Wow you guys are great. My car was a Fisher body. It had the wood front posts that attached to the cowl. My Uncle said it had the original body on it when he purchased it. Do any of you have any pictures of this body style? I found a picture of a 4-door on the internet. I used Microsoft paint to modify the body to a 2-door. I have pictures posted in a public folder. Everyone is welcome to check them out. Search for Stephen Steere on facebook to find them. Thank you all again, the info I have gotten from yal has been very helpful.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
4 members (ruscar, beachbum, AFMsteve, 1 invisible), 82 guests, and 35 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aristech, RalphL, tonysk
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,071
Posts429,063
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.