Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#232344 01/27/12 01:58 PM
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
My'34 runs perfectly once started but I am still having problems with starting it. Even after turning the engine over & allowing enough time for gas to be pumped in the the carb. no amount of pumping the accelerator or choking seems to be enough for it to start easily.

If I spray a liberal amount of gas or starting fluid down the throat it will fire right up. The carb was rebuilt by a VCCA member who specializes in rebuilds.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!!!!!

1934 Three Window Coupe
[img]http://www.youngsdecks.com/YoungsDecks/1934_Chevy.html[/img]
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
Does it start right up if restarting immediately after running? Verify that the carb accelerator pump is working by looking into the carb with engine off and pumping the accelerator-you should be able to see the gas spraying in. Just a wag but perhaps the fuel pump is weak and even though you are allowing enough time to fill the carb, the flow is insufficient.

Steve D
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
It may be fuel evaporation during the "hot soak" period.
First I would try opening the left side of the hood upon turning off the engine. This will allow some heat to escape.
When the tank is low add a quart of Kerosene to the gas. This slows the evaporation.
Is the heat riser free?

PS
Great story and pictures in the G&D

Last edited by Chev Nut; 01/27/12 03:39 PM.

Gene Schneider
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Steve,

Thanks for posting. I do not see anything in the carb when pumping it with the engine off. As I said in the previous post, it looks dry. Plus I have noticed a hesitation when, while idling, when I press the gas. I did adjust the linkage on the accelerator pump, earlier, from the medium setting to the longer stroke and didn't see any difference. I don't notice the hesitation when driving but maybe I would if it was an automatic transmission. Any further thoughts?

1934 Three Window Coupe
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Chevegene,

You must have posted while I was, I didn't see your reply.

My main problem is starting the engine when cold. After its warmed up, I can get it started but still as quickly as it should. I think the accelerator pump may be the issue.

I just talked to the VCCA member who rebuilt it and he thinks so also. With a new tank, line, filter, and pump, we ruled out fuel.

1934 Three Window Coupe
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
It could also be the 2 check valves in the carb that supply fuel to the accelerator pump.One of mine went bad and the pump would no squirt.

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Mike, thanks for your post also. I called the re-builder and he is sending me another carb. He asked several questions and thinks it most likely something to do with the accelerator pump. Hopefully the new carb. will solve the problem. If not....?

1934 Three Window Coupe
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
The lack of squirting problem could be one of several things. The small opening in the accelerator pump can easily get plugged. One or both check valves could be leaking or stuck. The leather on the pump plunger can be torn or worn.

The fact that the engine does not start when cold can be fuel flow, carburetor, ignition or compression/timing. The fact that it does start when starting fluid or gas is squirted down the throat would suggest a lean mixture which is harder to ignite than a rich one.

If you pull off the float bowl cover when it is cold is the bowl ~ 1/3 full? That is about the right amount. Is the float set to 3/8" from top of the float to bottom of cover? If you push down on the accelerator pump shaft by hand do you get noticeable resistance? Or does it go down easily?

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
1 members (swedechev), 78 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
SabrinaKarras, Speedy1
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,072
Posts429,077
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.