Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#231942 01/24/12 01:59 AM
ron1967 Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
does anyone make a wireless turn signal kit for cars that do not have the wiring ?????

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Good day to you.

I have not seen any around in OZ. Would be interested to hear if you come up with a lead, but will be more interested to hear how the "keep your car original at all costs" guys handle this one. I can see them going for the hard liquor as we speak.

Good Luck to you fella

ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
not running for the hard stuff , yet, but before I get the Kawwasaki Mule fixed up right I may break my vows of teetotalization. In Texas hand signals are still legal for passanger vehicles that weren't originally equiped with modern high-falutin' electrical sissy turn signals! Old timers around here say that the 1928 Chevrolet had sissy brakes (four wheel brakes) vs. rear wheel brakes only on 27 and older. We are still well and good living back in the early 20th Century. In fact it is the cat's meow!

Life's a long winding trail, love Jesus and ride a good horse!
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Signals ???? My '25 sedan wasn't even built with a brake light. No signals is half the fun of driving the old car. Everyone thinks your waving to them when you want to make a right turn. If you get in the proper lane well before the turn you have no problem. And let's be honest; no one is looking at your signals. They are too busy staring at the car or giving you a compliment on how cool the old car looks. BTW I do have a brake light and a little side mirror. It's no fun driving without them.

Steve
'25 Superior "K", '79 Corvette , '72 Corvette LT-1 & 1965 Corvette Coupe
ron1967 Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I was thinking of designing a wireless turn signal (battery powered and completely wireless).
It would have a transmitter in the cab (small box that could be attached to the steering column with velcro or laying on thr passanger seat (about the size of a cigarette pack).that would talk to the front and rear left or front and rear right battery powered lamps that are either nagnetically od spring clamped to the bumpers. They could be installed or removed for any judging in about 30 seconds.

Any thoughts ???

Just wondered if someone has already done this before I get involve with the design and do research into FCC band allocation requirements.

thanks ron

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hey Ron,

Wireless Turn Signals, I have only one word to describe

Hard wire them!

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Idea: go to Verizon and sign-up for the 5-Family plan and get five cheap phones, tape one on each side of the car, front and back. Set the phones on “flash” for incoming calls. Put two new contacts in the 5th phone named “left” and right” and address each exterior phone accordingly. Because they are in you plan, there should be no charge for family and friends. You may want to download a “clicking” ring-tone. Additionanlly, You may want to include a third contact assigned to a group call, name it “4-way flasher”.

Seriously, I haven’t seen a wireless turn signal system, but I would be interested in one. I drive my 28 and 26 around Denver on a weekly basis, yet I like to show them on the weekends, and I don’t like having an aftermarket turn signal on them. If the system were clip-on, that would address most requirements.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi 3rd Owner,

If I understand correctly when you show your car or have it judged, you are encouraged to keep your Chev in an unsafe condition for driving, with no turn signals. Are these judges not aware of safety, or are they just fanatics for originality.

Still thats what trailers are for I suppose.

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
I have never had my cars judged and don't intend to, but my understanding is that no points are to be deducted for turn signals or other approved safety equipment.

Ed
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000

Uncle Ed is correct. No deduction for safety items.

devil Agrin

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000

HI veryrusty52,

Why are you so critical of judging?

devil Agrin

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi Antique Mechanic,

I was not so critical with judging, just concerned that drivers feel the need to remove safety items before submitting their cars. But with Uncle Ed's posting that points are not deducted for safety items I have no issues.

And your confirmation puts it to bed

Last edited by veryrusty52; 01/28/12 11:23 PM.
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Veryrusty32,

You don't understand correctly, I have turn signals, I would like removable wireless turn signals.

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Here are some WIRELESS turn signals that I was looking at a while ago.

http://easyontaillights.com/

--bbb

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi 3rd owner,

You are right. I dont fully understand.
1. You have hard wired turn signals at present.
2. We have established that for judging purposes, points would not be deducted, as its a safety item.
3. You would like to change over to a wireless system.

I cant see the requirement to do so.

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Actually there is no point deduction if the "safety" items are installed in keeping with the period of the vehicle. As an example vinyl coated wire or LED lights are subject to a deduction for a 1928 but cloth covered wire and bulbs are not. A messy installation is also subject to deduction at the judges discretion.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Veryrusty52,

Again, you don't understand. I never mentioned "judging", I never mentioned "points", I simply said I would like to be able to take them off at shows. It's a personal requirement, like wearing polished shoes and a sport coat to work, I just choose to. Read my post, it was not conflictual, actually, I had some lead-in humor, something we can all live with.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Dont mind me, just a silly old fool.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by Bill Barker
Here are some WIRELESS turn signals that I was looking at a while ago.

http://easyontaillights.com/

--bbb
Thanks Bill , I think it's a great idea...wish it was mine ...! Kevin

1947 Fleetmaster Sport Coupe VCCA # 47475

If it's not wearing a Bowtie...It's not properly dressed...!
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000

My Money is on 3rd Owners Idea

Go to Verizon and sign-up for the 5-Family plan and get five cheap phones, tape one on each side of the car, front and back. Set the phones on “flash” for incoming calls. Put two new contacts in the 5th phone named “left” and right” and address each exterior phone accordingly. Because they are in you plan, there should be no charge for family and friends. You may want to download a “clicking” ring-tone. Additionanlly, You may want to include a third contact assigned to a group call, name it “4-way flasher”.

Think of the extra money one could earn by hiring out the mobiles while you are at the car show, and you could have a different ring tone for each left or right, front or back. The possibilities are endless. Now if we could just get the 4 phones to ring at once when we hit the horn button, basinka.

I'm off to the shed to invent a solar powered headlight.

Cheers

Ray

Some say "Street is neat". I prefer "1928 is great"

I have documented my 45 years with a 1928 Chev Tourer, from 1973 to 2018, and regulary add other items that I hope are of interest to others. Your comments are most welcome.The story of the Red Chev can be viewed at http://my28chev.blogspot.com/
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Originally Posted by Bill Barker
Here are some WIRELESS turn signals that I was looking at a while ago. http://easyontaillights.com/ --bbb

This looks real good for what was requested except that you would have to see if they could come up with a second set of lights with amber lenses. Aside from that and being a bit pricy, they seem to be just the thing asked for in the original post.

Richard
Waverly, IA
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Originally Posted by RichardJ
This looks real good for what was requested except that you would have to see if they could come up with a second set of lights with amber lenses. Aside from that and being a bit pricy, they seem to be just the thing asked for in the original post.

I checked and got this reply:

Will talk to engineers and see if that is possible.
Terry
Easy On Tail Lights
easyonlights@mtintouch.net

----- Original Message -----
To: support@easyontaillights.com
Sent: Monday, January 30, 2012 7:47 AM
Subject: lights

Hello,

I looked at your lights and was wondering if it would be possible to get them with a second set of lights for the front with amber lenses. We were talking about wireless lights for antique cars, and this sounds good. Perhaps the brake light function could be blocked on the front ones?

Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter,

Richard

Richard
Waverly, IA
ron1967 Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
almost changed my mind since someone already made them but for $289 each, think there's still be a market for a cheaper pair..maybe $60

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic

Been a long day fellas, lets have a bit of a laugh at ourseleves.

Are you ready, here we go

All this activity and thought going into something like this. I am truely amazed, but I respect everyones opinions and wishes.

Still if you are not confident that your hard wiring of a set of turn signals will satisfy the judging gods, then on with the tractor stick ons, drive down the road. And if you think some one might see them that knows you, make sure you travel on a different road.

Lets just hope you dont have fibre glass gaurds or too much bondo under the paint that the magnet does not take.

I presume fibre glass gaurds are ok for judging and shows, or does a little man go along taping on the panels, or better still out comes the magnet to test.

My humble opinion is that if judging can be as critical as what your wiring harness is covered in, I will pass on the judging.

I'll see you on the road, but make sure your wireless turn signals are firmly attached so I can see where your going.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Gidday fellas,

I thought you were all joking when I clicked on that link with the lights for sale... They are some ugly mother @$%#*%$ lights for a vintage car and if someone out there cannot come up with some more stylish, compact ones, I'll go jump....

Also there are some lovely hardwired small stylish indicators that I have seen on vintage cars and thats the road I will be taking.

Do it once and do it well.

Cheers Grant.

"We're not painting it all fancy"

http://montythe1928chevrolet.blogspot.com.au/

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 30 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman, JEC51
18,307 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aristech, RalphL, tonysk
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,069
Posts429,046
Members18,307
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.