Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#231604 01/21/12 11:48 AM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
As a young restorer I am overwhelmed with some of the coasts for restoration projects. A wood job--$3000, engine----$1500, Paint --$5000. I can do the small things but the big ones at this state of my life are overwhelming.
Is there Restoration Scholarships out there?
How about a Grant?
How about a competition?
I thank God for my restoration friends that have helped me get to were I am but I feel I will need more help.
What do you think?
Steven

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Steven unfortunately, this is reality. In fact your numbers are quite conservative for professional services. I currently have over $4000 in engine repairs and would gladly pay $5000 for a paint job. I had a "ballpark estimate" of $8000 for paint and body work on my prior project and that was a number of years ago. One suggestion I have is to see if there is a technical school that would be interested in working on your car. As I recall there is a school that teaches restoration skills and the name is McPherson's College. Maybe you could workout a deal with them. Good Luck!

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Stephen-Don`t feel alone. I`m an OLD restorer and I also am overwhelmed with the costs involved with these restorations. I myself when younger and raising a family could have never attempted or afforded this luxury. I think the only way to help keep your expenses down are to aquire some of the needed skills and patience neccessary.

Good Luck

hoppy

"Four-Doors-Forever"
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
I agree with all of the above. I have personally talked to fellows that paid as high as $7,000 to have their engines professionally rebuilt and have as much as $10,000 to $12,000 invested in body work and a paint job. Unfortunately, the cost to do a major restoration is usually fairly high. Check out the Barrett-Jackson auction that is currently being televised this weekend on the Speed channel and view the prices that these cars are being sold for. Astronomical! And, that reflects on the rising costs of restoring a car as well.

At any rate, I think that offering scholarships to young fellows like yourself so that you can learn and work on old cars is a great idea.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Many high schools and junior colleges have auto body programs or auto repair programs. The often hold night or weekend classes for their extension students. Not only do they teach how to do things but have the expensive tools that students can use on their projects. Know several people who have restored cars that way on the cheap. Also know an instructor that is a VCCA member in the Dallas/Ft. Worth TX area.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I went back to the HS I graduated from and took body and fender repair in evening classes. One of the many things they did was have vendors come in and tell us of their products and what they are used for. You will also learn how to correct your mistakes as you go along. I did a complete frame up restoration except plating and upholstery.

See you Touring the Back Roads

Joined VCCA June 1, 1961
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
The Math on these projects always points to the adage "buy a good one already finished". But what fun is there in that!

A decent '31 restored Coach in my area would sell circa $15,000-$20,000. If you buy a starter car for $5,000, pay $4000 for engine work, $6,000 for body/paint, $1500 for missing or worn out parts, and $3500 for reupholstering, you come to $20,000, and don't have a cent for the 500 hours or so you spend pulling it all together. Return on investment negative.
However, the joy you get from spending those countless hours learning how these cars are put together, how they work, searching for rare parts, talking to fellow car nuts, and enjoying owning the result of your labor is priceless. So my advice, don't run it by your accountant (or partner), your Shrink on the other hand will think its great for your psyche!

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
The Car hobby can be an expensive one. Don't get frustrated with the costs. Lears to budget just like anything else. Budget your time as well as your money.
Take classes as suggested and learn how to do many of the projects yourself. For parts, I used Christmas and birthdays as means to obtain car parts for my projects. If you like to hang out in bars or smoke, determine how much money you spend on these items and plan on diverting some funds over to your hobby.
For example, one of my cars took 12 years and over $32,000 in parts, paint, glass, rubber, upholstery fabric and mechanicals. Frame off restoration all done at home. Start with one piece at a time.
You will do just fine, just start learning and practicing, you can't ruin anything that can't be repaired or replaced if needed.

Last edited by Chevy1778; 01/21/12 07:44 PM.
ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
Lots of good suggestions above. Check with a trade school or search for other possible learning opportunitys. Join a local VCCA chapter and find people with similar interest and some that may enjoy helping. Also a correctional facility that has a traing program may be of help. I know of someone who had his Porsche done at the State Correctional Facility and paid only for materials. My antique cars started out being my second auto. When I finally got a car as a project it sat in my garage for 18 years as I did not have time to work on it. A fellow VCCA member who had restored several cars came to the rescue as he had run out of projects and offered to help with the body work at a very attractive rate.With the help of several friends(some VCCA members) in a couple of years the car was roadworthy but not a showcar and still I had close to $20000 invested. That was 10 years ago and I'm still enjoying the car and making new friends.

Steve D

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
4 members (Rustoholic, Stovblt, Rusty 37 Master, Buckaroo01), 72 guests, and 22 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aristech, RalphL, tonysk
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,071
Posts429,059
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.